Bluefield University Logo

Consumer Information & Compliance

Information Resources

Students and prospective students may find the information resources of the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia (SCHEV) of use in planning for college and careers.

SCHEV has created an institutional profile for each Virginia public college and university, and for each independent college or university participating in the Virginia Tuition Assistance Grant Program. Bluefield University’s profile is available at the link below.


The Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008

(HEOA) amends the Higher Education Act of 1965 (HEA) to revise and reauthorize HEA programs. It was signed into law on August 14, 2008. The Final Rule was published in the Federal Register on October 29, 2009. While many of the provisions took effect immediately, others were subjected to a negotiated rulemaking process. The final regulations became effective on July 1, 2010.

The law includes many disclosure and reporting requirements that a postsecondary educational institution is required to distribute or make available to other parties, such as current or prospective students or families of current or prospective students. To document Bluefield University’s compliance with the HEA/HEOA requirements, Bluefield University has coordinated the collection of this information. We have summarized the requirements below. You may click on the consumer information links below to find the appropriate information pertaining to each requirement. Additional information, including the full text of the Act, may be found on the HEOA page of the U.S. Department of Education’s website.

Please use the links below to be directed to each of the institutional disclosure requirements by subject area.*


NSSE Reports & Data

Online Grievance Resolution

Bluefield University supports the right of students to present complaints, file grievances, and appeal outcomes in an environment free of fear, retaliation, or other adverse consequences. The University has in place standardized procedures for addressing formal complaints made by all students, including graduate students. No matter the origin of the complaint, every care is taken to address concerns about the University, its programs, and its processes.

Complaint Resolution Process for Online Students

Students are encouraged to communicate directly with the institutional department for which they have a concern. All academic concerns, including grade appeals, should follow the procedures listed in the current Academic Catalog. In the event that institutional department leadership is unable to provide complaint resolution, the Director of Online Programs will serve as the next level facilitator in online student complaint resolution; as necessary, this will include partnership with Vice-Presidents and the President.

Only if a student feels his or her complaint has not been resolved satisfactorily through this procedure and has sufficient evidence supporting this claim, he or she may submit a Student Complaint Form to the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia (SCHEV). More details on the formal SCHEV student complaints procedure can be found on the SCHEV agency page at SCHEV provides oversight in Virginia for resolving institution complaints from students taking distance education under the aegis of SARA.

For more information regarding the above-posted policy, please contact the Provost at 276.326.4203.

Interruption of Online Instruction

If online instruction cannot be fully delivered due to catastrophic events or other uncontrollable situations, instruction will be provided for students through alternate delivery methods or Bluefield’s membership in consortia relationships, such as “Acadeum”, “Yes We Must Coalition”, and the “Appalachian College Consortium”. If a program is canceled or cannot be delivered, no new students will be accepted into the program, and a teach-out plan will be created.

For more information, read our plan for interruption of online instruction

Skip to content