Transcript Evaluation

Determining Your Perfect Fit

Obviously, one of the most important things to consider before transferring to Bluefield University is how all of your classes fit in our degree programs.

Bluefield University understands that you want to complete your bachelor’s degree in a timely manner, so we do strive to accept as much previous college work as possible towards your Bluefield degree.

Here are a few things to consider:

  1. Bluefield University is regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS); therefore, we will accept all previous credits earned at any other regionally accredited, four-year college or university.
  2. Bluefield University has multiple articulation agreements in place that may be considered through the evaluation process.
  3. Virginia Community College students – Bluefield University has an articulation agreement with the Virginia Community College System. Under the terms of this agreement, students who graduate from Virginia community colleges in a designated Associate of Arts and Sciences or Associate of Sciences degree program and have achieved a GPA of at least 2.5 in their academic work are eligible for automatic acceptance. We will also consider all general education courses that are not required for a student’s major as fulfilled.
  4. The Bluefield Core – Bluefield University requires a unique 9-hour block of courses for incoming freshman students. A transfer student who has not completed a VCCS Associate, but who has completed 32 transferrable hours, will be exempted from one of these classes, Invitation to Inquiry, COR 1012.

Accepted students will receive a Transcript Evaluation:

  • Typically, within five business days of acceptance. If a delay is expected, an accepted student will be notified of when they can expect this completed document.
  • As a PDF document via email and as a physical copy sent in the mail.
  • Each time new course work is received. A similar five (5) business day window is to be expected.

Accepted students can also expect a phone call from the Transfer Counselor to allow for questions after the Plan to Complete or Advising Worksheet has been sent. The Transfer Counselor does not have final authority on transfer credit decisions and may at times refer questions to the Office of the Registrar or ultimately the Vice President for Academic Affairs.

Do I only apply once?

  • No. Students must apply each academic year for the fall semester and submit the necessary documents.

Do I have to take the classes specified in the Associate's Degree tracks as they are listed on the information sheet?

  • No. Students may take any of the courses that are offered in a given term.

Where do I find the textbook listing, and where do I purchase the books?

  • Log in to myBU, and under the "Student" tab, you will find a list of the textbooks required (if any) for each course. Students are responsible for purchasing their own textbooks.

How long is a semester?

  • Our semesters are divided into two 8-week terms.

Is there an orientation?

  • Yes. Students can attend an orientation session that explains how to access courses, how to register for classes, and answers other questions.

Where can I find a course description?

Does the student need to take the SAT or ACT in order to take Dual Enrollment classes?

  • No. If a student decides to study at BU full time, BU is currently test-optional for the 2021-2022 admissions cycle.

Are the classes live? Do students need to log in and participate at certain times?

  • Classes are offered online, so a student can log-on and study at their convenience and their own pace. Students have assignments due each week; you can complete your assignments at any point in time before the deadline.

Does an Early College student need to come to campus for anything?

  • No. However, we would love to have you visit our campus if you are interested in continuing with traditional on-campus study. Students who complete their associate's degree have the option to walk at our commencement ceremony.

Are Early College students able to receive Financial Aid?

  • No. However, Early College courses are very affordable compared to other options. The cost for an online Dual Enrollment course is $100 per credit hour.

How do transferring credits work?

  • Each College or University completes a transcript review in order to decide which courses transfer. Sticking to general education classes generally makes transferring credits simple. All Early College courses at Bluefield University are general education classes that should transfer to another accredited institution.

Is an Early College student considered, and treated, as a transfer student when they become a full-time college student if they have earned enough credits to be a Junior?

  • No. Since they have not graduated from high school, they are considered a first-time college student regardless of how many credits transfer. However, by transferring credits when they enroll as a full-time student, they will have to take fewer classes to receive their bachelor's degree, which shortens the length of time to earn the degree.

Can I speak to someone if I have more questions?

  • Yes. Please contact the Office of Admissions by email or you can call them at 276.326.4231


Meet our core Counseling faculty

Dr. Challen Mabry

Assistant Professor of Counseling

Dr. Jenna Fitzgerald

Assistant Professor of Counseling

Dr. Kristen Raymond

Assistant Professor of Counseling

Our team is here for you! How can we help?

This form requires credentials in order to request information.