Bluefield University Logo

Transfer to Bluefield University

Transferring to Bluefield University is simple. We’ll go step by step below.


This is the first formal step in enrolling at Bluefield University. This is how you will tell us about yourself in-depth and directly express an intent to begin the enrollment process.


To complete an application:

  1. Complete our online application. Once your application is received, you should expect a phone call from an admissions counselor to confirm the details of your submission.
  2. Submit the following documents to detail your academic history.
    • If you have more than 12 completed/GPA hours, we will need transcripts from each college you have attended. Bluefield University accepts students through the use of a cumulative GPA. You will need to submit a transcript if courses were completed.
    • If you have less than 12 completed/GPA hours, we will need a copy of your high school transcripts and SAT/ACT scores. If you are a student affected by the COVID-19 crisis, and you have not taken the SAT or ACT, that requirement has been waived at this time.
    • If you have earned college credit through avenues such as AP testing, dual enrollment, and/or military training, these documents should be submitted with your other academic records.


Once we have received your application and all necessary academic transcripts and records, your acceptance to Bluefield University will be offered or denied on one of three standards.


Admission standards:

  1. If a student has more than 12 completed college hours, a student can be accepted if they have a cumulative GPA of 2.00 or better.
  2. If a student has less than 12 completed college hours, they will enter under our freshman admissions standards. A student can be accepted if they meet two of the following three criteria.
    • A high school GPA of 2.00 or better.
    • A class rank in the top 50% of their graduating class.
    • A combined SAT Math and Verbal score of 970 or higher, or an ACT composite score of 18 or higher.
  3. If a student does not meet the acceptance standard mentioned above, Bluefield University does offer provisional acceptance through an “Appeal Request” submitted to the Admissions Committee. You will need to speak with the Transfer & International Counselor for specific details.

Once accepted, there are four things that students will need to work with the Transfer Counselor to complete, which will prepare them for enrolling in classes.


  1. A Transfer Credit Evaluation will be completed. Once completed, a report of this evaluation will be either emailed to the student, sent to the student through the mail, or both. After this report has been completed, the student is encouraged to review the report and ask any questions. This report may include an estimate of the number of hours needed to complete an intended degree and a detailed list of the needed courses.
  2. Students should submit a Free Application for Student Aid (FAFSA) and an initial financial aid estimate will be prepared. Additional estimates will be prepared as new scholarship applications are received and new forms of aid are awarded. The Transfer & International Counselor will assist students in assuring all necessary financial aid paperwork is sent to the student in a timely manner and returned to the University in a similar fashion.
  3. Students will need to complete a Pre-Entrance Health Packet, regardless of whether or not they intend to live on campus. This form will be sent to the student and it can be returned to either the Transfer & International Counselor or the Office of Student Development.
  4. Students will also need to complete a Housing and Commuter Contract. This form will be sent digitally to the student to be completed.
  5. Before registering for classes, an accepted student will need to submit a one-time, $200 confirmation fee. Students should contact the Transfer & International Counselor for more details. This fee serves as a declaration to enroll at Bluefield University. Students who register for classes without submitting this confirmation fee stand the risk of losing their seat in a class to students who have, even if they registered at a later date. Our small class sizes are important to the BU experience and we do use the confirmation fee as a way to preserve those smaller sizes. For residential students, the fee also grants priority in housing assignments.
Skip to content