The Center For Counseling & Wellness

Professional. Supportive. Academic

Our goal at the Center for Counseling & Wellness is to provide students with the support and counseling they need when they need it most. We strive to provide a professional and confidential setting for the psychological, emotional, and developmental support of students as they pursue their academic goals and personal growth. BU Counseling & Wellness Center provides supportive individual and group counseling free of charge for currently enrolled undergraduate students of Bluefield University. These services are provided by professional counselors and supervised graduate student interns. Services are designed to assist students with a number of concerns and to enhance their ability to be more effective and successful in their academic and personal lives.

Available Services

Located in room 304G (Third Floor of the Science Building) BU’s Center for Counseling & Wellness offers several professional services which include:

  • Assessment
  • Individual counseling
  • Group counseling
  • Career counseling
  • Crisis counseling
  • Substance abuse counseling
  • Consultation & collaboration with campus stakeholders
  • Referral services to area mental health service providers

Students may sign up for counseling sessions by contacting Emily Cook at [email protected] or by phone at 276-326-4252. Students may also reach out with any questions they have about the counseling process or counseling services provided at BU.

Daily wellness activities were launched in September 2020 to help students take care of themselves by practicing daily self-care. The wellness activities vary from educational activities, giveaways, exercise sessions, to more. Some of the daily activities have included gardening, morning mindfulness, yoga, journal giveaway, exercise sessions, a drum circle, a financial wellness seminar, expressive arts, and a book club. All students are welcome to participate in the daily wellness activities and no prior sign-up is required.

Do I only apply once?

  • No. Students must apply each academic year for the fall semester and submit the necessary documents.

Do I have to take the classes specified in the Associate's Degree tracks as they are listed on the information sheet?

  • No. Students may take any of the courses that are offered in a given term.

Where do I find the textbook listing, and where do I purchase the books?

  • Log in to myBU, and under the "Student" tab, you will find a list of the textbooks required (if any) for each course. Students are responsible for purchasing their own textbooks.

How long is a semester?

  • Our semesters are divided into two 8-week terms.

Is there an orientation?

  • Yes. Students can attend an orientation session that explains how to access courses, how to register for classes, and answers other questions.

Where can I find a course description?

Does the student need to take the SAT or ACT in order to take Dual Enrollment classes?

  • No. If a student decides to study at BU full time, BU is currently test-optional for the 2021-2022 admissions cycle.

Are the classes live? Do students need to log in and participate at certain times?

  • Classes are offered online, so a student can log-on and study at their convenience and their own pace. Students have assignments due each week; you can complete your assignments at any point in time before the deadline.

Does an Early College student need to come to campus for anything?

  • No. However, we would love to have you visit our campus if you are interested in continuing with traditional on-campus study. Students who complete their associate's degree have the option to walk at our commencement ceremony.

Are Early College students able to receive Financial Aid?

  • No. However, Early College courses are very affordable compared to other options. The cost for an online Dual Enrollment course is $100 per credit hour.

How do transferring credits work?

  • Each College or University completes a transcript review in order to decide which courses transfer. Sticking to general education classes generally makes transferring credits simple. All Early College courses at Bluefield University are general education classes that should transfer to another accredited institution.

Is an Early College student considered, and treated, as a transfer student when they become a full-time college student if they have earned enough credits to be a Junior?

  • No. Since they have not graduated from high school, they are considered a first-time college student regardless of how many credits transfer. However, by transferring credits when they enroll as a full-time student, they will have to take fewer classes to receive their bachelor's degree, which shortens the length of time to earn the degree.

Can I speak to someone if I have more questions?

  • Yes. Please contact the Office of Admissions by email or you can call them at 276.326.4231


Meet our core Counseling faculty

Dr. Challen Mabry

Assistant Professor of Counseling

Dr. Kristen Moran

Associate Professor of Counseling

Brandy Smith

Assistant Professor of Education & Counseling,
Director of the Master of Arts in Counseling Program,
Title IX Confidential Counselor

Our team is here for you! How can we help?

This form requires credentials in order to request information.