Code of Conduct

Administration of Student Loans

This is the Bluefield University Financial Aid Office code of conduct pertaining to student loans.

Compensation and Revenue Sharing

  1. Bluefield University and its employees will not accept or receive payment from lenders for placement on a preferred lenders list and prohibit offers of funds for private loans. This includes any offer of funds for loans to students at the University, including funds for an opportunity pool loan, in exchange for providing concessions or promises to the lender for a specific number of loans.
  2. Bluefield University and its employees will not share in revenue or receive anything of value from a lending institution in trade for an advantage for the lending institution.
  3. Bluefield University and its employees will not receive compensation for serving on any advisory board in connection with private lenders or lending institutions.


  1. Bluefield University and its employees will not receive gifts from any lending institution which are offered in connection with any financial aid responsibilities and duties.

Consulting and/or Contracting Arrangements

  1. Bluefield University and its employees will not accept any fee, payment, or financial benefit as compensation for any type of consulting arrangement or contract to provide services to or on behalf of a lender relating to education loans.

Loan Certifications

  1. Bluefield University and its employees will not assign students a private lender.
  2. Bluefield University and its employees, specifically the Financial Aid Department, will not refuse to certify or delay the certification of a private loan based upon the student’s choice of lender.

Staffing Assistance

  1. Bluefield University and its employees will not request or accept any assistance from private lenders or lending institutions in connection with call center staffing or financial aid office staffing.
  2. HEOA does not prohibit schools from requesting or accepting assistance from a lender related to:
    1. Professional development training for financial aid administrators.
    2. Providing educational counseling materials, financial literacy materials, or debt management materials to borrowers, provided that such materials disclose to borrowers the identification of any lender that assisted in preparing or providing such materials.
    3. Staffing services on a short‐term, nonrecurring basis to assist the school with financial aid‐related functions during emergencies, including State‐declared or federally declared natural.

Do I only apply once?

  • No. Students must apply each academic year for the fall semester and submit the necessary documents.

Do I have to take the classes specified in the Associate's Degree tracks as they are listed on the information sheet?

  • No. Students may take any of the courses that are offered in a given term.

Where do I find the textbook listing, and where do I purchase the books?

  • Log in to myBU, and under the "Student" tab, you will find a list of the textbooks required (if any) for each course. Students are responsible for purchasing their own textbooks.

How long is a semester?

  • Our semesters are divided into two 8-week terms.

Is there an orientation?

  • Yes. Students can attend an orientation session that explains how to access courses, how to register for classes, and answers other questions.

Where can I find a course description?

Does the student need to take the SAT or ACT in order to take Dual Enrollment classes?

  • No. If a student decides to study at BU full time, BU is currently test-optional for the 2021-2022 admissions cycle.

Are the classes live? Do students need to log in and participate at certain times?

  • Classes are offered online, so a student can log-on and study at their convenience and their own pace. Students have assignments due each week; you can complete your assignments at any point in time before the deadline.

Does an Early College student need to come to campus for anything?

  • No. However, we would love to have you visit our campus if you are interested in continuing with traditional on-campus study. Students who complete their associate's degree have the option to walk at our commencement ceremony.

Are Early College students able to receive Financial Aid?

  • No. However, Early College courses are very affordable compared to other options. The cost for an online Dual Enrollment course is $100 per credit hour.

How do transferring credits work?

  • Each College or University completes a transcript review in order to decide which courses transfer. Sticking to general education classes generally makes transferring credits simple. All Early College courses at Bluefield University are general education classes that should transfer to another accredited institution.

Is an Early College student considered, and treated, as a transfer student when they become a full-time college student if they have earned enough credits to be a Junior?

  • No. Since they have not graduated from high school, they are considered a first-time college student regardless of how many credits transfer. However, by transferring credits when they enroll as a full-time student, they will have to take fewer classes to receive their bachelor's degree, which shortens the length of time to earn the degree.

Can I speak to someone if I have more questions?

  • Yes. Please contact the Office of Admissions by email or you can call them at 276.326.4231


Meet our core Counseling faculty

Dr. Challen Mabry

Assistant Professor of Counseling

Dr. Kristen Moran

Associate Professor of Counseling

Brandy Smith

Assistant Professor of Education & Counseling,
Director of the Master of Arts in Counseling Program,
Title IX Confidential Counselor

Our team is here for you! How can we help?

This form requires credentials in order to request information.