Federal Work-Study

Federal Work-Study Employees

Federal Work-Study is a federally regulated financial aid program authorized by the Higher Education Act of 1965 and subsequent amendments and re-authorizations.

The Federal Work-Study Program provides students financial aid in the form of wages paid to the student for services rendered as a Federal Work-Study employee. As a Federal Work-Study employee, students are paid hourly. This is in accordance with Bluefield University payroll guidelines and as outlined in the FWS contract. Work cannot interfere with the pursuit of the student’s education.

The exact amount of the student’s Federal Work-Study award depends on the demonstrated financial need determined by the Financial Aid office and available funding from the Federal Government.

If the student’s financial aid award letter includes Federal Work-Study, the amount shown is the amount of money the student is eligible to earn during the academic year as a result of work performed and the hours necessary to perform such work.

Before a student can begin working in an FWS position, the appropriate paperwork must be completed to establish a student on the payroll.

This paperwork is completed in the Financial Aid Office. It is required that the student employee make an appointment with the Financial Aid Office after they have interviewed with the department and secured an FWS position. At this time, they will complete the necessary FWS contract. Should the Financial Aid Office need to meet with the student during the year, the student will be notified by email.

Depending on the student’s FWS award, students may work up to 20 hours per week, but no more than eight (8) hours in a day during the Fall and Spring terms. Students may work up to 35 hours per week but no more than eight (8) hours a day during the Summer term. Students working six (6) or more consecutive hours MUST take a thirty-minute, non-compensated break. This break must be documented on the timesheet.

Availability of Federal Work-Study funds and written authorization by the Financial Aid Office will dictate work assignments during the summer. Students are not authorized to work during scheduled class periods. Students should notify their supervisor of their availability so that work schedules can be arranged around class schedules. Student employees can only be paid for hours worked at their on-campus or off-campus site, which has been designated by the Financial Aid Office.

  1. Visit the Financial Aid Office to see if you are eligible for Federal Work-Study and find a list of possible Federal Work-Study jobs.
  2. Review the positions and choose those jobs that interest you.
  3. Schedule interviews with supervisors. Be sure to identify yourself as a student who is eligible for Federal Work-Study.
  4. When you find a job, you will need to make an appointment with the Financial Aid Office. At this time, you will receive an FWS contract. You will need to take this contract to your supervisor to complete and return to the Financial Aid Office. After that, you will be provided timesheets and a work-study payroll schedule. You cannot begin working until you have been provided with a start date from the Financial Aid Office. Students who work in non-authorized periods of employment will not be paid from Federal Work-Study funds.
  5. Please visit the Human Resources Office to complete your tax information (e.g., W-4, state withholding, and I-9 forms).
  6. Contact your FWS supervisor to establish a work schedule.
  1. Complete employment contract with the Financial Aid Office prior to working.
  2. All students must complete the following employment forms and return the following to the Human Resources Office:
    1. Personal Information Form
    2. I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification Form
    3. W-4 Employee Withholding Allowance Certificate
    4. VA-4 Employee Virginia Income Tax Withholding Exemption Certificate
    5. WV/IT-104 West Virginia Employee Withholding Exemption Certificate
  3. Fill out timesheets completely and accurately.
  4. Ensure that all timesheets are submitted on or before the due date.
  5. Do not work more hours than you have been awarded as provided on the FWS Agreement.
  6. Perform all duties in compliance with departmental policies.
  7. Notify your supervisor when you are unable to work as scheduled.
  8. Notify your supervisor and the Financial Aid Office in writing prior to terminating employment.
  9. Maintain good academic standing.
  10. Never work during scheduled class time.

Do I only apply once?

  • No. Students must apply each academic year for the fall semester and submit the necessary documents.

Do I have to take the classes specified in the Associate's Degree tracks as they are listed on the information sheet?

  • No. Students may take any of the courses that are offered in a given term.

Where do I find the textbook listing, and where do I purchase the books?

  • Log in to myBU, and under the "Student" tab, you will find a list of the textbooks required (if any) for each course. Students are responsible for purchasing their own textbooks.

How long is a semester?

  • Our semesters are divided into two 8-week terms.

Is there an orientation?

  • Yes. Students can attend an orientation session that explains how to access courses, how to register for classes, and answers other questions.

Where can I find a course description?

Does the student need to take the SAT or ACT in order to take Dual Enrollment classes?

  • No. If a student decides to study at BU full time, BU is currently test-optional for the 2021-2022 admissions cycle.

Are the classes live? Do students need to log in and participate at certain times?

  • Classes are offered online, so a student can log-on and study at their convenience and their own pace. Students have assignments due each week; you can complete your assignments at any point in time before the deadline.

Does an Early College student need to come to campus for anything?

  • No. However, we would love to have you visit our campus if you are interested in continuing with traditional on-campus study. Students who complete their associate's degree have the option to walk at our commencement ceremony.

Are Early College students able to receive Financial Aid?

  • No. However, Early College courses are very affordable compared to other options. The cost for an online Dual Enrollment course is $100 per credit hour.

How do transferring credits work?

  • Each College or University completes a transcript review in order to decide which courses transfer. Sticking to general education classes generally makes transferring credits simple. All Early College courses at Bluefield University are general education classes that should transfer to another accredited institution.

Is an Early College student considered, and treated, as a transfer student when they become a full-time college student if they have earned enough credits to be a Junior?

  • No. Since they have not graduated from high school, they are considered a first-time college student regardless of how many credits transfer. However, by transferring credits when they enroll as a full-time student, they will have to take fewer classes to receive their bachelor's degree, which shortens the length of time to earn the degree.

Can I speak to someone if I have more questions?

  • Yes. Please contact the Office of Admissions by email or you can call them at 276.326.4231


Meet our core Counseling faculty

Dr. Challen Mabry

Assistant Professor of Counseling

Dr. Kristen Moran

Associate Professor of Counseling

Brandy Smith

Assistant Professor of Education & Counseling,
Director of the Master of Arts in Counseling Program,
Title IX Confidential Counselor

Our team is here for you! How can we help?

This form requires credentials in order to request information.