Veteran Services

We are Military-Friendly

Bluefield University strives to help our servicemen and women obtain their Veterans Affairs educational benefits with ease.

We want the process to be simple and clear. Below you will find links, forms, and directions to complete the application process.

BU Veteran’s Certifying Official
Jennifer Lamb
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 276-326-4397
Fax: 276-326-4356

Financial Aid
Bluefield Central Office
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 276-326-4215
Fax: 276-326-4356

Academic Center for Excellence (ACE)
Wayne Pelts
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 276-326-4606
Fax: 276-326-4288
Disability Services

Active-Duty Military

Bluefield University is proud to welcome current members of the military and work with those students receiving education benefits through their branch of the service.

Current military members using education benefits through their branch of the service must work with their Educational Service Officer (ESO) or counselor within the Military Service prior to enrolling in courses at Bluefield University.

Typical paperwork required for Education Service Officers or counselors include:

  • Evaluation of all transfer work
  • Evaluation of military training towards degree requirements
  • Documented degree plan outlining required coursework for the degree
  • Documented outline of required coursework after evaluations are complete

For questions about these items or help to obtain copies of your documented degree plan and required coursework please contact the BU Veteran’s Certifying Official.


On December 31, 2018, the President signed into law the Veterans Benefits and Transition Act of 2018. It contains a provision (Section 103) that takes effect on August 1, 2019.
Beginning that date, for any student that’s using Ch. 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill™ or Ch. 31 VocRehab benefits, even though VA has not yet paid tuition and fees, no institution (public, private, for-profit, not for profit), can have a policy in effect that:

  • prevents enrolling,
  • assesses a late penalty fee,
  • requires securing alternative or additional funding, or
  • denies access to any school resources (access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities) that are available to other students that have paid.

However, an institution can require that such students be required to:

  • produce the VA’s Certificate of Eligibility by the first day of class,
  • provide written request to be certified, and
  • provide additional information needed to properly certify

Bluefield University makes every effort to work with students receiving Post 9/11 GI Bill™ and Chapter 31 VocRehab where funding is sent directly to the school to cover tuition costs.  With completed documentation for VA certification students receiving Post 9/11 GI Bill™ and Chapter 31 VocRehab benefits are not required to secure funding to cover the cost of their tuition while VA processes the award.  Should VA make a determination that the student is no longer eligible for benefits or the payment is less than the cost of tuition, the student is responsible for the unpaid balance.


Step 1

Complete the Veterans Affairs Application for Benefits.

Step 2

Download the Bluefield University Veterans Affairs Enrollment Form from Registrar Forms. Please hand-sign, scan, and email the completed form to Bluefield Central. A Bluefield Central representative will process your form and you will receive follow-up contact directly from Veterans Affairs. Bluefield University will only contact you if we need additional information.

Service members can receive college credit for the military in training; please submit an official military transcript for evaluation for the Army, Navy, Marines, and/or Air Force.

For questions about your benefits, contact the Veterans Affairs Education Service Center Directly via phone at 888.442.4551, or view the Veterans Affairs Benefits Comparison Tool, which will help you decide which benefit will assist your education journey the most.

Yellow Ribbon Program

The Yellow Ribbon Program is designed to improve financial aid for veterans participating in the Post 9/11 GI Bill™. To be eligible for the maximum benefit rate under the Yellow Ribbon Program, students must have served an aggregate 36 months of active duty after September 11, 2001, or been honorably discharged from active duty for a service-connected disability and served 30 continuous days after September 11, 2001, or be a dependent eligible for Transfer of Entitlement under the Post 9/11 GI Bill™.

Handbook for Veterans

Learn more about our veteran-friendly degree programs.

Do I only apply once?

  • No. Students must apply each academic year for the fall semester and submit the necessary documents.

Do I have to take the classes specified in the Associate's Degree tracks as they are listed on the information sheet?

  • No. Students may take any of the courses that are offered in a given term.

Where do I find the textbook listing, and where do I purchase the books?

  • Log in to myBU, and under the "Student" tab, you will find a list of the textbooks required (if any) for each course. Students are responsible for purchasing their own textbooks.

How long is a semester?

  • Our semesters are divided into two 8-week terms.

Is there an orientation?

  • Yes. Students can attend an orientation session that explains how to access courses, how to register for classes, and answers other questions.

Where can I find a course description?

Does the student need to take the SAT or ACT in order to take Dual Enrollment classes?

  • No. If a student decides to study at BU full time, BU is currently test-optional for the 2021-2022 admissions cycle.

Are the classes live? Do students need to log in and participate at certain times?

  • Classes are offered online, so a student can log-on and study at their convenience and their own pace. Students have assignments due each week; you can complete your assignments at any point in time before the deadline.

Does an Early College student need to come to campus for anything?

  • No. However, we would love to have you visit our campus if you are interested in continuing with traditional on-campus study. Students who complete their associate's degree have the option to walk at our commencement ceremony.

Are Early College students able to receive Financial Aid?

  • No. However, Early College courses are very affordable compared to other options. The cost for an online Dual Enrollment course is $100 per credit hour.

How do transferring credits work?

  • Each College or University completes a transcript review in order to decide which courses transfer. Sticking to general education classes generally makes transferring credits simple. All Early College courses at Bluefield University are general education classes that should transfer to another accredited institution.

Is an Early College student considered, and treated, as a transfer student when they become a full-time college student if they have earned enough credits to be a Junior?

  • No. Since they have not graduated from high school, they are considered a first-time college student regardless of how many credits transfer. However, by transferring credits when they enroll as a full-time student, they will have to take fewer classes to receive their bachelor's degree, which shortens the length of time to earn the degree.

Can I speak to someone if I have more questions?

  • Yes. Please contact the Office of Admissions by email or you can call them at 276.326.4231


Meet our core Counseling faculty

Dr. Challen Mabry

Assistant Professor of Counseling

Dr. Jenna Fitzgerald

Assistant Professor of Counseling

Dr. Kristen Raymond

Assistant Professor of Counseling

Our team is here for you! How can we help?

This form requires credentials in order to request information.