Add or Drop Courses

All students are responsible for following Bluefield University’s policies and procedures. Review the Add/Drop Policy in the Academic Catalog. Traditional students can add and drop courses prior to the census date through MyBU with the approval of their Academic Advisor.

Download the quick help guide

Add/Drop Instructions

  1. Log into myBU.
  2. Click the Student Tab.
  3. Click My Courses.
  4. Click Add/Drop Courses.
    • To add a course, select the Term, enter the Course Code (e.g., ENG 1013 01), and click Add Course.
    • To drop a course, select the specific course to drop and click Drop Selected Courses.

Students will need to complete a drop form in order to withdraw from a course after the census date. Your advisor, athletic coach (if applicable), and instructor must sign the form before you bring it to Bluefield Central.

On-Campus Students

Please retrieve a Drop/Add Form from Bluefield Central (Lansdell 304 – Third Floor). You will need to give the form back to a BU Advocate, who will process the drop.

Online Students

Download the Online Course Withdrawal Form from Registrar Forms. Submit the online drop form to Bluefield Central.

Change of Major or Advisor

Complete the Change of Major or Advisor Form from Registrar Forms. You must obtain all signatures prior to bringing it to Bluefield Central. A BU Advocate will process your request once the form is complete.

Withdrawal, Attendance & Participation

For policy regarding withdrawal from Bluefield University, please see the current Academic Catalog.

Students requesting a withdrawal from the university (as a whole) will need to download the University Withdrawal Form from Registrar Forms and submit it to Bluefield Central. The form must be completed with all signatures (Academic Affairs, Financial Aid, Admissions, Library, Student Development, Business Office, and Athletic Representative—if applicable). The Registrar will not be able to sign the form until all other signatures have been obtained. A BU Advocate will process the request after all signatures have been obtained.

Note: Online students will need to download the form, hand-sign it, and scan/email it to Bluefield Central. A Bluefield Central representative will contact and guide you through the online student withdrawal process.

Do I only apply once?

  • No. Students must apply each academic year for the fall semester and submit the necessary documents.

Do I have to take the classes specified in the Associate's Degree tracks as they are listed on the information sheet?

  • No. Students may take any of the courses that are offered in a given term.

Where do I find the textbook listing, and where do I purchase the books?

  • Log in to myBU, and under the "Student" tab, you will find a list of the textbooks required (if any) for each course. Students are responsible for purchasing their own textbooks.

How long is a semester?

  • Our semesters are divided into two 8-week terms.

Is there an orientation?

  • Yes. Students can attend an orientation session that explains how to access courses, how to register for classes, and answers other questions.

Where can I find a course description?

Does the student need to take the SAT or ACT in order to take Dual Enrollment classes?

  • No. If a student decides to study at BU full time, BU is currently test-optional for the 2021-2022 admissions cycle.

Are the classes live? Do students need to log in and participate at certain times?

  • Classes are offered online, so a student can log-on and study at their convenience and their own pace. Students have assignments due each week; you can complete your assignments at any point in time before the deadline.

Does an Early College student need to come to campus for anything?

  • No. However, we would love to have you visit our campus if you are interested in continuing with traditional on-campus study. Students who complete their associate's degree have the option to walk at our commencement ceremony.

Are Early College students able to receive Financial Aid?

  • No. However, Early College courses are very affordable compared to other options. The cost for an online Dual Enrollment course is $100 per credit hour.

How do transferring credits work?

  • Each College or University completes a transcript review in order to decide which courses transfer. Sticking to general education classes generally makes transferring credits simple. All Early College courses at Bluefield University are general education classes that should transfer to another accredited institution.

Is an Early College student considered, and treated, as a transfer student when they become a full-time college student if they have earned enough credits to be a Junior?

  • No. Since they have not graduated from high school, they are considered a first-time college student regardless of how many credits transfer. However, by transferring credits when they enroll as a full-time student, they will have to take fewer classes to receive their bachelor's degree, which shortens the length of time to earn the degree.

Can I speak to someone if I have more questions?

  • Yes. Please contact the Office of Admissions by email or you can call them at 276.326.4231


Meet our core Counseling faculty

Dr. Challen Mabry

Assistant Professor of Counseling

Dr. Kristen Moran

Associate Professor of Counseling

Brandy Smith

Assistant Professor of Education & Counseling,
Director of the Master of Arts in Counseling Program,
Title IX Confidential Counselor

Our team is here for you! How can we help?

This form requires credentials in order to request information.