Bluefield University Logo


Answers To The Most Common Questions

Please refer to the Campus Communications page for up-to-date information from University leadership.

What is Coronavirus (COVID-19)?

There are many types of human coronaviruses including some that commonly cause mild upper- respiratory tract illnesses. COVID-19 is a new disease, caused by a novel (or new) coronavirus that has not previously been seen in humans.

How can I help protect myself from COVID-19?

There is currently no vaccine to prevent COVID-19. The best way to prevent illness is to avoid being exposed to this virus. The Centers for Disease Control always recommends everyday preventive actions to help prevent the spread of flu and respiratory illnesses, including:

  • Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
  • Stay home when you are sick.
  • Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
  • Wash your hands.
  • Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
What will happen if there is a confirmed case on campus?

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) protocols will be followed in the event there is a confirmed case of COVID-19 (coronavirus) on campus. Individuals who have had close contact with the patient will be contacted and monitored by the Tazewell County Health Department with Bluefield University’s full support.

Are there any travel restrictions?

Specific travel restrictions have been lifted and BU has resumed regular operation

Is Bluefield University open to public visitors?

Visitors to campus must complete a Visitor Intake Form. For more information on visiting campus, please contact Jordan Dillon at 276.326.4201 or Bethany Justis.

What is the status of campus/sporting events?
  • ALL Bluefield University athletic events and practices are currently operating as scheduled.
  • All Fine Arts Community School (FACS) is currently open for enrollment
So students have to leave campus?

On-campus activities have resumed normal schedule and operation.

What do I do if I feel sick? (Students)

If you feel you are sick please seek medical help immediately from your primary care physician, MedExpress, or go to the hospital. Please contact GluedRAs if you need assistance with transportation by calling 276.873.0075. This number goes directly to a full-time Residence Director who will assist you. If you have any financial concerns, please notify University leadership as well. We are here to assist you. Your primary care physician or hospital physician will test you if you are displaying COVID-19 symptoms. Here are CDC guidelines for identifying symptoms:

Skip to content