Are You Ready To Graduate?
The following requirements must be met in order for a student to graduate from Bluefield University.
- The student must earn 120 semester hours to include the general education requirements, the requirements for at least one major, and the requirements for a minor if required by the student’s major.
- The student must have a grade point average of at least 2.0 for all work completed at Bluefield University. The student must also have a grade point average of at least 2.0 in all coursework required for the major (including primary and related disciplines, if any) unless a higher grade point average is specified as a requirement for that major.
- A student earning a bachelor’s degree must complete at least 36 semester hours of Bluefield University coursework including at least 12 hours of the major and 6 hours of the minor if any. A student earning an associate’s degree must complete at least 16 semester hours of Bluefield University coursework.
- The student must satisfy the University convocation requirement as verified by the Office of Student Development.
- The student must apply for graduation with the Registrar by the deadline posted on the Academic Calendar.
- The student must pay the graduation fee, along with all accounts on campus (Business Office, Library, Student Development, etc.), in full at least 15 days before commencement.
- All students must be within six semester hours before graduation day in order to participate in commencement exercises. No exceptions will be made to these requirements.
- A student who already holds a bachelor’s degree and desires to earn a second degree must meet all requirements for the second major and complete at least 30 semester hours of Bluefield University coursework beyond the first degree. All additional requirements above must also be met. A student may be awarded two degrees (B.A. and B.S.) simultaneously by earning 30 hours of Bluefield University coursework beyond those required for a single degree (a total of 156 hours) and by completing all requirements for both degrees.
- The student is required to participate in the University’s assessment of the educational impact it has had on its graduating students. The method of assessment depends on the major but may include recitals, written and/or oral examinations, etc. The student must participate in the assessment selected by his/her major. Some students will also be selected for participation in the assessment of the general education program.
Each student must apply for graduation by filling out the Graduation Application by the deadline posted in the Academic Calendar. The Graduation Application can be submitted electronically through myBU (Student > Electronic Forms) or the paper version can be signed, scanned, and emailed to the Registrar
Once the application has been processed, you will receive a Graduation Evaluation Letter; this is only sent via email to your BU email address. You will be granted one of the following four statuses with any follow-up directives in the email.
- Approved – Graduation requirements are complete and you are approved to graduate.
- Approved – Pending successful completion of the work outlined below and/or receipt of documents outlined below.
- Approved to participate in graduation ceremony (within 6 semester hours of meeting requirements) – Pending successful completion of work outlined below and/or receipt of documents outlined below; please note that degree will not be awarded until all graduation requirements have been met.
- Not Eligible to graduate or to participate in the graduation ceremony. Your academic requirements outlined below must be met prior to graduating. You will need to re-apply for graduation.
Ceremony & Regalia
Each approved graduate is requested to attend graduation ceremonies, also known as commencement. Commencement is held annually in May. Class photographs are taken prior to the ceremony.
Location | The graduation ceremony will be held on campus (3000 College Avenue in Bluefield, Virginia) in the Quad.
Ordering Graduation Regalia | Students who indicate they will attend commencement on the Graduation Application will have a cap and gown ordered based on information provided in your graduation application. If you did not provide your information on the graduation application or have changed whether you plan to attend, please resubmit the electronic graduation application through myBU. Students who do not attend or do not indicate they plan to attend will not receive a cap and gown.
Picking Up Graduation Regalia | You may pick up your cap and gown and tickets in Bluefield Central (formerly BC Central) beginning Wednesday before graduation. For those traveling on the morning of graduation, your cap and gown will be available upon arrival—please arrive early.
Arrival | Graduates are to report to the front steps of Lansdell Hall wearing their cap and gown, at 8:30am on the morning of Commencement, for instructions and the Class group photo.
Livestream | Each Commencement will be live-streamed through the Bluefield University YouTube channel. This will be linked to our various social media accounts as we get closer to the date.
Personal Items | Please leave your personal items with your families during the ceremony. The commencement staff will not be responsible for safeguarding your belongings.
Graduation Fee | The graduation fee (if applicable) will be added to your student account. You can pay this and any outstanding balance through the myBU portal.
Diplomas | Approximately 6-8 weeks following Commencement, graduates will be mailed their diploma if all graduation requirements have been met including financial clearance. Students who complete their remaining degree requirements after Commencement need to e-mail [email protected] to let us know that you have completed your graduation requirements. Once your graduation status is verified, the diploma will be mailed to you.
Overview of Graduation Honors
Graduation with honors is determined by the cumulative grade point average earned at Bluefield University. In order to be eligible for honors, a student must have earned 60 credits at Bluefield University.
Each graduate recognized for academic honors will be asked to stand.
- Cum laude: 3.50 – Blue Cord
- Magna cum laude: 3.75 – White Cord
- Summa cum laude: 3.90 – Gold Cord
Students whose Bluefield cumulative grade point average is greater than or equal to 3.50 but who have not earned 60 credit hours at Bluefield University will graduate “With Distinction.” A notation “Graduate with Distinction” will be added to the student’s diploma beneath the student’s name.
In addition, students who are members of the academic honors societies such as Alpha Chi, Kappa Pi, and Sigma Beta Delta will be recognized and asked to stand. Honor Society pins and medallions may be worn on your robe.