Bluefield University in the News

Standing Tall and Proud: Susie Green to Speak on Black Heritage In Tazewell County

by | Feb 9, 2023

Bluefield, VA – Bluefield University will host local preservationist Susie Green as its featured speaker for Black History Month during the Wednesday, February 15 chapel service. Green will discuss Black heritage in Tazewell County and local initiatives to honor that heritage at 10:00 a.m. in Harman Chapel Auditorium.

Green has been a key figure in the restoration of the African American section of the Maple Hill Cemetery in Bluefield, Virginia. Once neglected and segregated, it is the final resting place of approximately 300 Black community members, who were veterans, pastors, and miners in the region. The section now boasts a historical highway marker from the Virginia Department of Historic Resources. A memorial commissioned by Green has also been placed on site noting the names of more than 100 African Americans buried there whose gravestones were destroyed.

Additionally, Green was a member of the committee behind the “Standing Tall and Proud” mural on the side of the Tazewell County Courthouse. It portrays sixteen notable Black Tazewell County residents, the oldest of which were born as slaves in the mid-1850s. The twelve-panel design features ministers, educators, and community leaders.

Bluefield University hosts its weekly chapel service each Wednesday at 10:00 a.m. in the Harman Chapel Auditorium. The public is welcome and invited to attend this special event.

For media inquiries and additional information, please contact [email protected].

Bluefield University

[email protected] • 276.326.4212

Do I only apply once?

  • No. Students must apply each academic year for the fall semester and submit the necessary documents.

Do I have to take the classes specified in the Associate's Degree tracks as they are listed on the information sheet?

  • No. Students may take any of the courses that are offered in a given term.

Where do I find the textbook listing, and where do I purchase the books?

  • Log in to myBU, and under the "Student" tab, you will find a list of the textbooks required (if any) for each course. Students are responsible for purchasing their own textbooks.

How long is a semester?

  • Our semesters are divided into two 8-week terms.

Is there an orientation?

  • Yes. Students can attend an orientation session that explains how to access courses, how to register for classes, and answers other questions.

Where can I find a course description?

Does the student need to take the SAT or ACT in order to take Dual Enrollment classes?

  • No. If a student decides to study at BU full time, BU is currently test-optional for the 2021-2022 admissions cycle.

Are the classes live? Do students need to log in and participate at certain times?

  • Classes are offered online, so a student can log-on and study at their convenience and their own pace. Students have assignments due each week; you can complete your assignments at any point in time before the deadline.

Does an Early College student need to come to campus for anything?

  • No. However, we would love to have you visit our campus if you are interested in continuing with traditional on-campus study. Students who complete their associate's degree have the option to walk at our commencement ceremony.

Are Early College students able to receive Financial Aid?

  • No. However, Early College courses are very affordable compared to other options. The cost for an online Dual Enrollment course is $100 per credit hour.

How do transferring credits work?

  • Each College or University completes a transcript review in order to decide which courses transfer. Sticking to general education classes generally makes transferring credits simple. All Early College courses at Bluefield University are general education classes that should transfer to another accredited institution.

Is an Early College student considered, and treated, as a transfer student when they become a full-time college student if they have earned enough credits to be a Junior?

  • No. Since they have not graduated from high school, they are considered a first-time college student regardless of how many credits transfer. However, by transferring credits when they enroll as a full-time student, they will have to take fewer classes to receive their bachelor's degree, which shortens the length of time to earn the degree.

Can I speak to someone if I have more questions?

  • Yes. Please contact the Office of Admissions by email or you can call them at 276.326.4231


Meet our core Counseling faculty

Dr. Challen Mabry

Assistant Professor of Counseling

Dr. Kristen Moran

Associate Professor of Counseling

Brandy Smith

Assistant Professor of Education & Counseling,
Director of the Master of Arts in Counseling Program,
Title IX Confidential Counselor

Our team is here for you! How can we help?

This form requires credentials in order to request information.