Reporting to the Director of Traditional Admissions, the Traditional Admissions Counselor will be involved in all aspects of the general admission process: managing a recruitment territory, travel, reviewing applications, contacting prospective students, and other duties as assigned.
The position requires strong interpersonal and communication skills, the ability to relate to a broad range of constituents (students, parents, alumni, guidance counselors, etc.), the cultural competence to work with students and families from a range of diverse backgrounds, initiative, and competitive drive, and the ability to work well both collaboratively and with a high degree of independence.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES, RESPONSIBILITIES, AND FUNCTIONS
The essential duties, responsibilities, and functions of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Passionately and enthusiastically communicate and represent the mission of Bluefield University as a Christ-centered faith, living, and learning community.
- Successfully achieve and maintain recruitment goals in a designated territory.
- Aggressively and effectively execute existing and self-designed recruitment strategies to achieve current goals.
- Utilize data systems in the recruitment process and regular review and assessment of reports and other data sources.
- Travel annually to community colleges, high schools, churches, and other venues in a designated recruitment territory.
- Handle a high volume of admissions office correspondence on a daily basis.
- Counsel prospective students in all aspects of the admissions process.
- Conduct campus tours and presentations to prospective students, families, and special groups.
- Review applications for admission from a designated recruitment territory.
- Organize work to provide maximum time for follow-up by telephone and other forms of contact so as to secure a specified number of campus visits, applications, acceptances, confirmations, and matriculations with some projects requiring evening and weekend work hours.
- Develop and maintain professional relationships with school officials, guidance counselors, career counselors, and pastors, and other gatekeepers.
- Be proficient in his or her knowledge of Bluefield University.
- Comply with all rules, policies, and procedures as established by Bluefield University.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
SUPERVISORY DUTIES, RESPONSIBILITIES, AND FUNCTIONS
This position has supervisory responsibilities of our student tele-counseling operation.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE
- A vibrant and authentic Christian faith and worldview consistent with the University’s mission and values is required.
- Bachelor’s degree, required
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends as needed
- Prior experience working in an admissions office, preferred
- Marketing and social media knowledge preferred
- Background and experience in computer data systems and customer relationship management systems preferred
- Proof of valid driver’s license, required
- Physical Demands
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit: use hands to operate a computer terminal; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk, reach with hands and arms, stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to forty pounds. Specific vision abilities required y his job included close vision and the ability to adjust focus. An appropriate driver’s license is required for this position.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This position is not necessarily a physically demanding job and generally requires no specific physical demands other than those typical in a modern office environment. Normal responsibilities should not afford risks of accidental injury.
- Specialized Equipment Requirements
The use of specialized equipment listed here is representative of equipment an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This position requires equipment typically used in a modern office environment, including personal computers, calculators, copiers, and fax machines.
- Working Conditions and Environment
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the duties, responsibilities, and functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the duties, responsibilities, and functions. This position has no specific working conditions; the work environment is typical to that of a small private residential institution of higher education, with physical remote site locations within 500 miles of the main campus in Bluefield, Virginia.
This position is subject to at least an annual evaluation based upon the job duties, responsibilities, and functions as set forth above.
The job duties, responsibilities, functions, and requirements delineated above should not be interpreted as an all-inclusive list of same. Additional duties, responsibilities, functions, and requirements may be assigned as deemed appropriate. The College reserves the right to change or reassign job duties, responsibilities, and functions, or combine positions at any time. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, it is possible that requirements may be modified to reasonably accommodate disabled individuals. However, no accommodations will be made which may pose serious health or safety risks to the employee or others or which impose undue hardships on the College. Position descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The College maintains its status as an at-will employer.
To apply for this position, please visit https://www.bluefield.edu/employment/ to complete the electronic staff employment application and upload the following:
- Letter of interest
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Names and full contact information for at least three professional references
- Statement of Christian Faith
Hard copy application materials may be sent to Judy Pedneau, Director of Human Resources at Bluefield University, 3000 College Avenue, Bluefield, VA 24605, [email protected].
Additional information about Bluefield University is available at www.bluefield.edu.
To be considered for this position, all application requirements listed above must be completed.
The University is committed to supporting diversity and utilizing recruitment practices that do not illegally discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, disability, age, religion, genetic information, veteran or military status, or any other basis on which the University is prohibited from discrimination under local, state, or federal law, in its employment or in the provision of its services, including but not limited to its programs and activities, admissions, educational policies, scholarship and loan programs, and athletic and other University-administered programs. Supervisors are personally accountable for ensuring their recruiting and selection processes are in keeping with the university’s recruitment philosophy and are conducted in a fair, equitable, and nondiscriminatory manner. This institution encourages women, minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities to apply.