JOB DESCRIPTION: PRIMARY PURPOSE
Bluefield University welcomes inquiries, nominations, and applications for Dean of its School of Nursing, available on July 1, 2024. The Dean of the School of Nursing is responsible for supporting the vision and mission of Bluefield University by providing leadership to on-campus and online education efforts that enable the university to be nimble, strategic, entrepreneurial, and responsive to trends of a broad range of nursing education. The Dean will provide academic leadership, curriculum development, and other program advancement for the School, along with oversight of faculty research; accreditation; budget and resource development; assessment and evaluation; continuous quality improvement; and the recruitment and retention of faculty, staff, and students. The role is to be performed in a way that is in harmony with the Christian principles and philosophy of Bluefield University. The position reports to the Provost and works collaboratively with the Executive Vice President for Online and Distance Education.
FACULTY DUTIES, RESPONSIBILITIES, AND FUNCTION
- Teach an instructional load of 12 to 15 credit hours per calendar year in qualified on-campus and online courses– following all criteria listed within the University Catalog and Faculty Handbook.
- Serve on Dean and Faculty committees as assigned, attend organizational meetings, advise students, partake in Commencement activities, and be present at Chapel services.
ADMINISTRATIVE DUTIES, RESPONSIBILITIES, AND FUNCTIONS
These functions include Academic, Enrollment Management, Community Relations, and Marketing elements.
- Serve as the Dean for the School of Nursing, responsible for the day-to-day leadership and oversight of Bluefield University’s undergraduate, certificate, and undergraduate online nursing programs.
- Participate in professional organizations that mutually benefit the School of Nursing, the University, and the community.
- Coordinate strategies to increase enrollment, brand awareness, and digital marketing presence for all nursing programs.
- Coordinate academic programs, collaborate with student services and Admissions, assign faculty, and advise students, as needed.
- Communicate regularly with students, area representatives, and college administrators in a problem-solving and decision-making capacity.
- Lead efforts to track student retention; support academic and customer service-focused efforts to retain students in all business programs.
- Work with the academic departments, following all relevant policies, to hire skilled and capable faculty members.
- Ensure up-to-date information is represented in the Academic Catalog, on the web, and in other areas.
TECHNOLOGY AND TRAINING
- Work with BU’s schools and colleges to update and maintain nursing education curricula within the Learning Management System and at site locations (as needed).
- Maintain documents and learning tools databases used to support nursing education services.
- Evaluate nursing education learning methods and course content to ensure it meets 21st-century remote and virtual learning pedagogy.
- Develop and implement strategies to promote, enhance, and enrich teaching through present and emerging technologies.
- Supervise and evaluate Nursing Department faculty and staff.
- Assist nursing program directors in managing the course schedule for each term; and implement improvements to the process and procedures.
- Collaborate with the EVP for Online and Distance Education and the eLearning Technologist in orienting, training, and developing nursing faculty.
- Collaborate with the EVP for Online and Distance Education.
PROGRAM ASSESSMENT, ACCREDITATION, AND DEVELOPMENT
- Ensure the nursing programs have an updated and implemented Institutional Effectiveness and Assessment plan for on-campus and online education.
- Lead efforts of accreditation compliance for nursing education including CCNE and State Board of Nursing.
- Provide the Provost and the Dean of Institutional Effectiveness with reports on institutional effectiveness and assessment of services, technology, and learning resource needs.
- Conduct and administer ongoing needs assessments, strategic learning assessments, and quality assurance assessments to develop the basis for curricula, training, and overall education development.
- Use market data to direct the design and development process for new program offerings and traditional-to-online/distance education course development.
- Develop, implement, and assist in enforcing policies and procedures as they relate to nursing programs.
- Strategically develop and promote innovative programs and diverse modes of course delivery as the School grows programs.
- Encourage unity of vision and purpose by integrating activities for on-campus and Online Programs with co-curricular programs.
- Lead collaborative development and strategic efforts in marketing, recruitment, and branding initiatives with the Enrollment Management Team for nursing programs
- Direct search committees for recruiting and hiring nursing faculty and staff.
- Build relationships with the local and regional healthcare systems to foster the School’s presence and reputation within the healthcare community.
- Travel to remote locations as needed.
- Work evening and weekend hours as needed.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE
- Possess a vibrant faith in and commitment to Jesus Christ.
- Be a highly motivated self-starter.
- Demonstrate a professional demeanor and presentation in dealing with the University constituency
- Possess an accredited doctoral degree in nursing or healthcare-related field;
- Possess a current and valid Virginia RN license. Current licensure in another state with eligibility to achieve Virginia RN licensure within six (6) months of hire may be substituted.
- Have five (5) years of full-time experience in nursing education is required, with at least three (3) years in a leadership role;
- Be experienced in liaising with a state Board of Nursing;
- Have experience with nursing education accreditation (CCNE preferred);
- Possess substantial administrative experience; a portion of the administrative experience in a higher education environment is preferred;
- Have a proven track record of building relationships with all constituents; and
- Have a demonstrated ability to think systemically, administrate collegially, and advocate effectively for the University, the School, and its faculty and students.
This position requires performing tasks related to office work. Such tasks require sitting, standing, walking, and carrying light loads (books, displays, presentations).
The evaluation of the performance of this position will be based on the ability to meet the requirements of the duties and tasks outlined above.
The criteria for evaluation of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
The ability to fulfill position description requirements as listed above in a timely and effective manner,
The ability to self-motivate and achieve set goals, and
The ability to work cooperatively with all personnel and departments in the College
The job duties, responsibilities, functions, and requirements delineated above should not be interpreted as an all-inclusive list of the same. Additional duties, responsibilities, functions, and requirements may be assigned as deemed appropriate. The University reserves the right to change or reassign job duties, responsibilities, and functions, or combine positions at any time. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, it is possible that requirements may be modified to reasonably accommodate disabled individuals. However, no accommodations will be made which may pose serious health or safety risks to the employee or others or which impose undue hardships on the University. Position descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The University maintains its status as an at-will employer.
To apply for this position, please visit http://www.bluefield.edu/employment/ to complete the electronic faculty employment application and upload the following:
- Letter of interest
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of Christian Faith
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy
- Three letters of reference
Additional information about Bluefield University is available at www.bluefield.edu. To be considered for this position, all application requirements listed above must be completed. Bluefield University is a Christ-centered, multicultural learning community that values and seeks faculty and staff who represent diverse backgrounds and perspectives, are committed to diversity, work effectively with diverse populations, and engage others in ways that honor our rich cultural mosaic and biblical foundation.
Bluefield University is a private, not-for-profit institution affiliated with the Baptist General Association of Virginia. Bluefield University shall not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, disability, age, religion, genetic information, veteran or military status, or any other basis on which the University is prohibited from discrimination under local, state, or federal law, in its employment or in the provision of its services, including but not limited to its programs and activities, admissions, educational policies, scholarship and loan programs, and athletic and other University-administered programs. This institution encourages women, minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities to apply.