Bluefield University Logo

Campus Living FAQ

These are the most common questions we hear from students preparing to move on campus.

How and when do I find out who I will be rooming with?

New students learn about their room and roommate by attending a RAM day event in May, June, or July. If you are unable to attend a RAM day, you can access this information by logging into myBU.

What can I use to hang posters and pictures on the walls?

3M tape and hooks work well as does reusable sticky tack.

How do I get my room key?

On move-in day, all students must go through the check-in process. At the end of check-in, students receive their key from a Residence Life staff member.

What does my room include?

Residence hall rooms have a twin XL bed, one desk, one chair, one dresser, and either closets or wardrobes for each occupant in the room. We also provide a mini-fridge and a microwave for every residence hall room on campus.

Can I bring extra furniture?

Students must keep the university-provided furniture in their room. Students may bring additional furniture, but please keep in mind your limited space. Students must also keep the entry to the room clear for fire safety compliance. Our what to bring page has more information.

What size are the mattresses?

The mattresses are extra-long twin size.

Can I move in early?

Due to staffing, Residence Life cannot accommodate early arrivals.

Can I paint my room?

We encourage you to individualize your room, but you should do so without painting.

Do I have to sign up for a meal plan?

A meal plan is required for most residential students, so you do not need to sign up.

How do I change rooms?

Requests to transfer rooms should be addressed to the Resident Assistant and Resident Hall Director of your floor and building during the first two weeks of school. After that time, changes will only take place after administrative approval. Students wishing to change rooms and/or roommates need to fill out a room change request form and pay a $50 processing fee.

What do I do if I lose my ID card?

If your ID card is lost or stolen, contact the IST Department for assistance, and they will issue a new card. The fee for issuing a new card is $25.

Where do I take my room trash?

There are dumpsters near each residence hall. Students are expected to take their trash out and not leave trash in their rooms or the residence hall hallways. Students who do not properly dispose of their trash will be fined.


Skip to content