Bluefield University recognized dozens of students for academic excellence, service, and character at its annual year-end Honors Convocation. Dr. Marshall Flowers, Vice President for Academic Affairs and Athletics, welcomed faculty, staff, students, families, and friends to the annual celebration.
“Honors Convocation recognizes student achievement,” said Dr. Flowers. “Beyond awarding tokens of recognition, its purpose is to exemplify excellence in academics, service, and character. This is our chance to honor those who live out the Apostle Paul’s biblical injunction to Timothy to ‘set an example to the believers.’”
The 2019 Honors Convocation awards and their recipients included:
- Freshman Award for Highest Cumulative Grade Point Average: Grecia Almandoz, Katie Otis, and Brandon Shields
- Freshman Certificates of Academic Excellence for cumulative grade point averages of 3.80 and above: Gabrielle Courtney, Erik Johansson, Matthew Larson, Staley Lyle, and Eberechi Nwaihesie.
- Sophomore Award for Highest Cumulative Grade Point Average: Clara Blevins, Michaela Jackson, and Luke Young.
- Sophomore Certificates of Academic Excellence for cumulative grade point averages of 3.80 and above: Marisa Clifton, Victoria Corner, Cameron Gasperson, Joshua Lockhart, Brooke Osborne, and João Victor Silva.
- Junior Award for Highest Cumulative Grade Point Average: Abigail Johnson and Noel Saunders
- Junior Certificates of Academic Excellence for cumulative grade point averages of 3.80 and above: Emily Carlisle, Kendal Cloniger, Destiny Furrow, Lauren Pike, Alexandra Stout, and Ashley Young.
- Senior Award for Highest Cumulative Grade Point Average: Samuel Kimzey
- Senior Certificates of Academic Excellence for cumulative grade point averages of 3.80 and above: Nicky Dronsick, Mary Jones, Hayley Moore, Jordyn O’Saben, and Onnika Turley.
- Outstanding Art Business Graduate: Danae Cox
- Outstanding Biology Graduate: Caden Minnix
- Outstanding Business Graduate: Paloma Sanchez
- Outstanding Chemistry Graduate: Aaron Swingle
- Outstanding Christian Studies Graduate: Kalin Folden
- Outstanding Communication Graduate: Dagoberto Acevedo
- Outstanding Graphic Communication Graduate: Benjamin Ayers
- Outstanding English Graduate: Arminda Kate Dolinger
- Outstanding Criminal Justice Graduate: Sven Kleinhans
- Outstanding History Graduate: Heather Wrench
- Outstanding Mathematics Graduate: Allyson Carter
- Outstanding Psychology Graduate: Sharon Cobbler
- Outstanding Early Childhood Education Graduate: Cowanda Cobbs
- Outstanding Teacher Education Graduate: Nathan Cline
- Outstanding Master of Arts in Education Graduate: Daniel Mason
- Outstanding Exercise and Sports Science Management Graduate: Sven Kleinhans
- Outstanding Human Services Graduate: Shasta Myers
- Outstanding Management and Leadership Graduate: Alyssa Gore
- Outstanding Music Graduate: Lillian Gray
- Outstanding RN to BSN Graduate: Deborah Creditt
- Outstanding Master of Science in Nursing Graduate: Ashley Snapp
- Outstanding Theatre Graduate: Sharon Cobbler
- Biblical Languages Award: Noel Saunders
- Valena May Parsons Communication Award: Erik Axel Johansson
- John W. Tresch History Scholarship Award: Benjamin Mays
- Business Student Community Service Award: Paloma Sanchez
- Business Student Academic Achievement Award: Camaro Cook
- Business Student Leadership Award: Kevin Stoffle
- Gerald E. Clay Scholar Education Award: Sarah Westfall and Hunter Furrow
- The Heather M. Smith Education Scholarship: Destiny Furrow
- Delta Kappa Gamma Education Award: Mykenzie Roach
- Jason Elswick Student Teacher Award: Anna Oliver
- Heather M. Smith Student Teacher Award: Allyson Carter
- Marshal A. Mead Psychology Scholarship: Deana Stinson
- Paul W. Beasley Service Award: Allyson Carter
- Excellence in Law Enforcement Justice: Alex Martin
- Excellence in Legal Studies: Ryan Franceschina
- Walls-Farmer CRJ Scholarship: Tessa Whitt & Abel Bogale
Students in the school’s honor societies were also recognized, including:
- Alpha Chi National Honor Society Members: Madeline Atkins, Rhyan Bailey, Nicole Benedito, Allyson Carter, Sharon Cobbler, Lillian Gray, Lynne Jones, Sven Kleinhans, Shasta Myers, Anna Oliver, and Sarah Pauley
- Sigma Tau Delta International English Honor Society members: Hayley Ann Moore, Laura Elizabeth Patsel, Carrington Jade Shelton, Sidney Elise Smith, and Taylyn Noel Strange.
- Kappa Pi International Art Honor Society: Benjamin Ayers, Clara Blevins, Megan Brandl, Sahara Brewster, Emily Carlisle, Danae Cox, Nicky Dronsick, Austin Eatmon, Jordyn O’Saben, Faith Pike, and Kaitlin Rife.
And, students in the Bluefield University Honors Program, an interdisciplinary curriculum that provides a stimulating academic learning environment and intellectual challenge for highly motivated students were acknowledged. The Honors Scholars included: Madeline Atkins, Rhyan Bailey, Allyson Carter, and Sven Kleinhans.
In addition, Bluefield University named its 2018-2019 Distinguished Faculty Award winner. Chosen by the faculty using the criteria of creative and effective teaching, scholarship, personal and professional integrity, and commitment to the mission of the University, the award went to Dr. Abigail Heiniger.