Bluefield University in the News

Bluefield University Mourns the Loss of Student-Athlete Caitlyn Gable

by | Aug 13, 2022

Bluefield University mourns the loss of student-athlete, Caitlyn Victoria Gable, 20. A rising junior and Rams’ softball player from Midland, NC, Caitlyn passed away peacefully in her sleep, Tuesday, August 9. 

“The Bluefield University athletic community is saddened by the passing of Caitlyn,” shared Corey Mullins, BU Director of Athletics. “Caitlyn touched so many lives during her time as a Ram. She will be missed by members of our staff and faculty, as well as teammates and classmates. Join us in lifting her friends and family in prayer during this time.” 

Caitlyn graduated from Concord High School in the IB Program in 2020. Over this summer, she was able to fulfill her childhood dream to inspire young Girl Scouts as a camp counselor at the Keyauwee Program Center. Since the age of 7, Caitlyn always had a passion for softball and played on several travel and American Legion teams.

“One thing I have always said from the beginning, you are family when you come to Bluefield,” said Baylee Allen, head softball coach. “Caitlyn was a part of our family and always will be. Once a Ram, Always a Ram.” 

Visitation will be held Saturday, Aug. 13 at Wilkinson Funeral Home in Concord, North Carolina, from 4 to 7 p.m. A service to celebrate Caitlyn’s life will follow at 7 p.m. 

In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to the Epilepsy Foundation of North Carolina, in support of Caitlyn’s life-long battle with epilepsy,, or to the Keyauwee Program Center for Girl Scouts of America. 

Bluefield University

[email protected] • 276.326.4212

Do I only apply once?

  • No. Students must apply each academic year for the fall semester and submit the necessary documents.

Do I have to take the classes specified in the Associate's Degree tracks as they are listed on the information sheet?

  • No. Students may take any of the courses that are offered in a given term.

Where do I find the textbook listing, and where do I purchase the books?

  • Log in to myBU, and under the "Student" tab, you will find a list of the textbooks required (if any) for each course. Students are responsible for purchasing their own textbooks.

How long is a semester?

  • Our semesters are divided into two 8-week terms.

Is there an orientation?

  • Yes. Students can attend an orientation session that explains how to access courses, how to register for classes, and answers other questions.

Where can I find a course description?

Does the student need to take the SAT or ACT in order to take Dual Enrollment classes?

  • No. If a student decides to study at BU full time, BU is currently test-optional for the 2021-2022 admissions cycle.

Are the classes live? Do students need to log in and participate at certain times?

  • Classes are offered online, so a student can log-on and study at their convenience and their own pace. Students have assignments due each week; you can complete your assignments at any point in time before the deadline.

Does an Early College student need to come to campus for anything?

  • No. However, we would love to have you visit our campus if you are interested in continuing with traditional on-campus study. Students who complete their associate's degree have the option to walk at our commencement ceremony.

Are Early College students able to receive Financial Aid?

  • No. However, Early College courses are very affordable compared to other options. The cost for an online Dual Enrollment course is $100 per credit hour.

How do transferring credits work?

  • Each College or University completes a transcript review in order to decide which courses transfer. Sticking to general education classes generally makes transferring credits simple. All Early College courses at Bluefield University are general education classes that should transfer to another accredited institution.

Is an Early College student considered, and treated, as a transfer student when they become a full-time college student if they have earned enough credits to be a Junior?

  • No. Since they have not graduated from high school, they are considered a first-time college student regardless of how many credits transfer. However, by transferring credits when they enroll as a full-time student, they will have to take fewer classes to receive their bachelor's degree, which shortens the length of time to earn the degree.

Can I speak to someone if I have more questions?

  • Yes. Please contact the Office of Admissions by email or you can call them at 276.326.4231


Meet our core Counseling faculty

Dr. Challen Mabry

Assistant Professor of Counseling

Dr. Jenna Fitzgerald

Assistant Professor of Counseling

Dr. Kristen Raymond

Assistant Professor of Counseling

Our team is here for you! How can we help?

This form requires credentials in order to request information.