Bluefield University in the News

Bluefield University Education Programs Now Available Online

by | Feb 14, 2023

Bluefield University’s premier Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education and Bachelor of Science in Special Education programs are now available online. Previously offered only in a seated program format, these accredited and acclaimed programs are available in both formats to students. Designed to be flexible for working adults, these programs allow participants the ability to attend fully online or virtually attend evening classes.

In the Elementary Education program, students will study English, math, science, and social studies content to prepare to enter elementary school classrooms. Advanced courses for aspiring teachers include teaching pedagogy, or methods in teaching, to enable them to deliver creative and engaging lessons within the classroom. Through completion of required testing, students may also earn Virginia teacher licensure in Elementary Education Pre-K-6.

The Special Education program at Bluefield University provides students with techniques for teaching and assessing students with special needs, including gifted learners. Special education majors study the four major subjects—English, math, science, and social studies—and methods for teaching all students, regardless of ability. Through completion of required testing, students may also earn Virginia teacher licensure in Special Education: General Curriculum K-12.

Students in both programs complete ninety hours of field experience as a part of their education courses ensuring the classroom is a familiar environment when they enter the workforce. Through the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) Teacher Apprenticeship Grant, students in both programs are able to serve as classroom aides, paraprofessionals, long-term substitutes, and other unlicensed employees for Tazewell County Public Schools and Buchanan County Public Schools as they complete coursework.

Bluefield University offers online courses in an eight-week format during six terms each year. Classes are small and engaged with a 14:1 student-faculty ratio.

Bluefield University’s School of Education & Social Sciences offers a variety of undergraduate programs with teacher licensure related to arts, sciences, special education, and more. It also offers Early Childhood Education and Psychology & Human Services undergraduate programs without teacher licensure in addition to minors and graduate programs. BU’s Teacher Education Program received TEAC accreditation from the Inquiry Brief Commission of the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP).

For more information about BU’s School of Education and Social Sciences, visit

For media inquiries and additional information, please contact [email protected].

Bluefield University

[email protected] • 276.326.4212

Do I only apply once?

  • No. Students must apply each academic year for the fall semester and submit the necessary documents.

Do I have to take the classes specified in the Associate's Degree tracks as they are listed on the information sheet?

  • No. Students may take any of the courses that are offered in a given term.

Where do I find the textbook listing, and where do I purchase the books?

  • Log in to myBU, and under the "Student" tab, you will find a list of the textbooks required (if any) for each course. Students are responsible for purchasing their own textbooks.

How long is a semester?

  • Our semesters are divided into two 8-week terms.

Is there an orientation?

  • Yes. Students can attend an orientation session that explains how to access courses, how to register for classes, and answers other questions.

Where can I find a course description?

Does the student need to take the SAT or ACT in order to take Dual Enrollment classes?

  • No. If a student decides to study at BU full time, BU is currently test-optional for the 2021-2022 admissions cycle.

Are the classes live? Do students need to log in and participate at certain times?

  • Classes are offered online, so a student can log-on and study at their convenience and their own pace. Students have assignments due each week; you can complete your assignments at any point in time before the deadline.

Does an Early College student need to come to campus for anything?

  • No. However, we would love to have you visit our campus if you are interested in continuing with traditional on-campus study. Students who complete their associate's degree have the option to walk at our commencement ceremony.

Are Early College students able to receive Financial Aid?

  • No. However, Early College courses are very affordable compared to other options. The cost for an online Dual Enrollment course is $100 per credit hour.

How do transferring credits work?

  • Each College or University completes a transcript review in order to decide which courses transfer. Sticking to general education classes generally makes transferring credits simple. All Early College courses at Bluefield University are general education classes that should transfer to another accredited institution.

Is an Early College student considered, and treated, as a transfer student when they become a full-time college student if they have earned enough credits to be a Junior?

  • No. Since they have not graduated from high school, they are considered a first-time college student regardless of how many credits transfer. However, by transferring credits when they enroll as a full-time student, they will have to take fewer classes to receive their bachelor's degree, which shortens the length of time to earn the degree.

Can I speak to someone if I have more questions?

  • Yes. Please contact the Office of Admissions by email or you can call them at 276.326.4231


Meet our core Counseling faculty

Dr. Challen Mabry

Assistant Professor of Counseling

Dr. Kristen Moran

Associate Professor of Counseling

Brandy Smith

Assistant Professor of Education & Counseling,
Director of the Master of Arts in Counseling Program,
Title IX Confidential Counselor

Our team is here for you! How can we help?

This form requires credentials in order to request information.