Bluefield University in the News


by | Dec 4, 2018

Bluefield, VA-Bluefield College received approval in November from the Virginia Board of Education for a new graduate education (endorsement) program in Administration and Supervision PreK-12. The 36-hour Master of Arts in Educational Leadership, including Virginia licensure in Administration and Supervision PreK-12, is an online program, with the exception of field experience hours.

Bluefield College’s Master of Arts in Educational Leadership program is designed to give teachers the skills they need to become effective school administrators. Bluefield College School of Education and Social Sciences pursued state approval for the additional endorsement in administration and supervision PreK-12 because they recognized the need for highly qualified educational leaders in the coalfields of southwest Virginia and southern West Virginia.  Bluefield College now has the only school administration and supervising licensing program headquartered in the Virginia coalfield counties of Tazewell, Buchanan, Russell, Dickinson, and Wise.

The Coalition for Teaching Equality reported in 2016 that during the next decade our nation’s principals will be retiring and exiting the profession at an unsustainable rate and Bluefield College’s School of Education and Social Sciences recognizes the need to deliver highly qualified administrators in Virginia and neighboring West Virginia.

The Master of Arts in Educational Leadership program is designed for individuals with a current teaching license who wish to earn a master’s degree in educational leadership for increased opportunities.  Teachers who have already obtained a master’s degree can enroll in the program to obtain another area of endorsement.

The Master of Arts in Educational Leadership program curriculum reflects an emphasis on the Virginia Standards for Administration and Supervision and the Interstate School Leaders Licensure Consortium (ISLLC) Standards developed by the Council of Chief State School Officers in collaboration with the National Policy Board on Educational Administration (NPBEA).

“Bluefield College is excited to introduce this new program in educational leadership and to play an important role in the development of the next generation of PreK-12 leaders.  Given the outstanding faculty who possess exceptional educational leadership backgrounds themselves, this new program will have a tremendous impact on future school leaders and the quality of education throughout southwest Virginia, across the Commonwealth, and beyond,” said Bluefield College president, Dr. David Olive.

In addition to the Master of Arts in Educational Leadership program, Bluefield College School of Education and Social Sciences also offers teacher licensure with our Master of Arts in Education (MAEd) online degree program for the endorsement areas of Biology, Career & Technology Education: Business & Information Technology, History & Social Sciences, Music Education-Instrumental PreK-12, Music Education-Vocal/Choral PreK-12, Theater Arts PreK-12, and Visual Arts PreK-12.

Not only does Bluefield College School of Education and Social Sciences provide the highest quality of online courses for teachers, they also strengthen the research skills and leadership abilities of each candidate in the program.

You can “Know & Be Known” in the field of educational leadership. Enroll now for Spring 2019! For more information on the Master of Arts in Educational Leadership Program contact the dean of the School of Education and Social Sciences, Dr. Thomas Brewster via email at [email protected] or by phone at 276-326-4240.

Bluefield University

[email protected]276.326.4212

Do I only apply once?

  • No. Students must apply each academic year for the fall semester and submit the necessary documents.

Do I have to take the classes specified in the Associate's Degree tracks as they are listed on the information sheet?

  • No. Students may take any of the courses that are offered in a given term.

Where do I find the textbook listing, and where do I purchase the books?

  • Log in to myBU, and under the "Student" tab, you will find a list of the textbooks required (if any) for each course. Students are responsible for purchasing their own textbooks.

How long is a semester?

  • Our semesters are divided into two 8-week terms.

Is there an orientation?

  • Yes. Students can attend an orientation session that explains how to access courses, how to register for classes, and answers other questions.

Where can I find a course description?

Does the student need to take the SAT or ACT in order to take Dual Enrollment classes?

  • No. If a student decides to study at BU full time, BU is currently test-optional for the 2021-2022 admissions cycle.

Are the classes live? Do students need to log in and participate at certain times?

  • Classes are offered online, so a student can log-on and study at their convenience and their own pace. Students have assignments due each week; you can complete your assignments at any point in time before the deadline.

Does an Early College student need to come to campus for anything?

  • No. However, we would love to have you visit our campus if you are interested in continuing with traditional on-campus study. Students who complete their associate's degree have the option to walk at our commencement ceremony.

Are Early College students able to receive Financial Aid?

  • No. However, Early College courses are very affordable compared to other options. The cost for an online Dual Enrollment course is $100 per credit hour.

How do transferring credits work?

  • Each College or University completes a transcript review in order to decide which courses transfer. Sticking to general education classes generally makes transferring credits simple. All Early College courses at Bluefield University are general education classes that should transfer to another accredited institution.

Is an Early College student considered, and treated, as a transfer student when they become a full-time college student if they have earned enough credits to be a Junior?

  • No. Since they have not graduated from high school, they are considered a first-time college student regardless of how many credits transfer. However, by transferring credits when they enroll as a full-time student, they will have to take fewer classes to receive their bachelor's degree, which shortens the length of time to earn the degree.

Can I speak to someone if I have more questions?

  • Yes. Please contact the Office of Admissions by email or you can call them at 276.326.4231


Meet our core Counseling faculty

Dr. Challen Mabry

Assistant Professor of Counseling

Dr. Jenna Fitzgerald

Assistant Professor of Counseling

Dr. Kristen Raymond

Assistant Professor of Counseling

Our team is here for you! How can we help?

This form requires credentials in order to request information.