At Bluefield University, you can fulfill your dreams as a music major with a focus on music education, church music, or performance. Our immersive music degree program is designed to help you understand the world through sacred and classical works. You can choose a concentration in applied music for piano, church music, music education, or a general approach. Do you plan to major in something else, but want to study music? You can minor in music to study the basics of music theory and performance. Or choose the worship leadership minor to prepare for service as a worship leader.
With individually tailored lessons and practice spaces, the music program offers a supportive environment to nurture a love of music as you pursue your goals. You’ll receive personal guidance from faculty dedicated to your growth as a creative, Christ-centered musician. You can take advantage of the many opportunities to perform with student ensembles leading campus worship, or band and choir appearances at University and regional events. If your goal is to teach music classes, you can choose between instrumental or vocal music education as a major.
Are you ready to discover why music is an integral part of the Bluefield experience? Complete our information request form to begin your musical journey at Bluefield University.
Applied Music (Piano)
Applied music concentration students are challenged to develop their performance and teaching skills in piano. Most students are preparing for a performance career or one in higher education, so advanced courses provide a firm foundation for those career paths. Each student also presents two recitals, one as a junior and the second as a senior.
The church music concentration prepares students for a professional vocational music ministry in the church. Specialized courses are complemented by Christian Studies courses for a solid theological foundation for those called to serve God through music ministry. Students also complete an internship in church music administration for practical experience.
The general music concentration gives music majors the most flexibility in their degree plans. The concentration provides an excellent foundation with core classes required of all music majors. Students may pursue a career in the music business, musical theatre, or as a private music teacher.
Dream of teaching music? BU’s music education degree will ensure that you are prepared to lead the next generation. Choose from concentrations in vocal or instrumental music. Learn more about music education
The Academic Catalog is the student’s guide to all policies and procedures for Bluefield University.
Courses & Requirements
General Education (45 Credits)
General Education requirements may be fulfilled in more specific courses for certain majors. Students seeking a BA degree must complete 6 credit hours of intermediate language studies.
- Bluefield Core (9 Credits)
- Composition (6 Credits)
- Christian Studies (3 Credits)
- Fine Arts (3 Credits)
- History (6 Credits)
- Literature (3 Credits)
- Macroeconomics (3 Credits)
- Math (3 Credits)
- Science (4 Credits)
- Social Science (3 Credits)
- Speech (3 Credits)
Core Requirements (50 Credits)
- Music Theory I, II, III, & IV (Alternating with Ear Training)
- Ear Training I, II, III, & IV (Alternating with Theory)
- Sophomore Review Seminar
- Music History I
- Music History II
- Conducting I
- Conducting II
- Applied Study (15 Credits)
- Ensembles (6 Credits)
- Piano Proficiency I, II, III / Vocal Proficiency (Depending on Concentration)
- Performing Arts Lab (6 Semesters)
- Senior Recital (Depending on Concentration)
Concentrations (25 Credits)
Choose your Concentration (3 Available)
- Concentration – Applied Music (Piano)
- Piano Literature
- Piano Pedagogy with Practicum
- The Art of Accompanying with Practicum
- Additional Applied Study (6 Credits)
- Junior Recital
- Senior Recital
- General Music Electives (7 credits)
- Concentration – Church Music
- Intro to Church Music Ed
- Worship Forms & Practices
- Congregational Christian Song
- Intro to Church Music Administration
- Internship in Church Music Administration
- Introduction to Ministry
- Introduction to Christian Theology
- Elective (1 Credit)
- Concentration – General Music
- General Music Electives (25 credits)
- Concentration – Applied Music (Piano)