MHSA – Programmatic Effectiveness

Program Objectives

Upon completion of the counseling program:

  • Students will demonstrate foundational knowledge in each of the eight CACREP core curricular areas
  • Students will demonstrate the ability to effectively apply theory and techniques in developing a strong working alliance with students/clients
  • Students will effectively understand and address professional, ethical, and legal issues using appropriate decision-making processes
  • Students will be knowledgeable and thoughtful about multicultural aspects of the helping process and proficient in the art and science of counseling culturally diverse populations
  • Students will demonstrate knowledge, identity, and appreciation of professional associations and active professional memberships for personal and professional growth
  • Students will demonstrate important dispositions relevant to their work in counseling – including their ability to work collaboratively with others, acceptance of divergent points of view, the ability to receive, give, and integrate feedback, and a developed sense of self-awareness regarding their own skills and talents
  • Students in the Clinical Mental Health Track will acquire knowledge and skills related to the operation of mental health services including public mental health policy, finances, regulatory processes, mental health service delivery systems, clinical mental health counseling services networks, and advocacy
  • Students in the School Counseling Track will acquire the knowledge and skills required for the functions of a school counselor who advocates for students. This includes counseling, coordinating, consulting, case management, and the design of a program that includes the curriculum, individual planning, responsive services, and system support.


Ready To Apply?

Do I only apply once?

  • No. Students must apply each academic year for the fall semester and submit the necessary documents.

Do I have to take the classes specified in the Associate's Degree tracks as they are listed on the information sheet?

  • No. Students may take any of the courses that are offered in a given term.

Where do I find the textbook listing, and where do I purchase the books?

  • Log in to myBU, and under the "Student" tab, you will find a list of the textbooks required (if any) for each course. Students are responsible for purchasing their own textbooks.

How long is a semester?

  • Our semesters are divided into two 8-week terms.

Is there an orientation?

  • Yes. Students can attend an orientation session that explains how to access courses, how to register for classes, and answers other questions.

Where can I find a course description?

Does the student need to take the SAT or ACT in order to take Dual Enrollment classes?

  • No. If a student decides to study at BU full time, BU is currently test-optional for the 2021-2022 admissions cycle.

Are the classes live? Do students need to log in and participate at certain times?

  • Classes are offered online, so a student can log-on and study at their convenience and their own pace. Students have assignments due each week; you can complete your assignments at any point in time before the deadline.

Does an Early College student need to come to campus for anything?

  • No. However, we would love to have you visit our campus if you are interested in continuing with traditional on-campus study. Students who complete their associate's degree have the option to walk at our commencement ceremony.

Are Early College students able to receive Financial Aid?

  • No. However, Early College courses are very affordable compared to other options. The cost for an online Dual Enrollment course is $100 per credit hour.

How do transferring credits work?

  • Each College or University completes a transcript review in order to decide which courses transfer. Sticking to general education classes generally makes transferring credits simple. All Early College courses at Bluefield University are general education classes that should transfer to another accredited institution.

Is an Early College student considered, and treated, as a transfer student when they become a full-time college student if they have earned enough credits to be a Junior?

  • No. Since they have not graduated from high school, they are considered a first-time college student regardless of how many credits transfer. However, by transferring credits when they enroll as a full-time student, they will have to take fewer classes to receive their bachelor's degree, which shortens the length of time to earn the degree.

Can I speak to someone if I have more questions?

  • Yes. Please contact the Office of Admissions by email or you can call them at 276.326.4231


Meet our core Counseling faculty

Dr. Challen Mabry

Assistant Professor of Counseling

Dr. Kristen Moran

Associate Professor of Counseling

Brandy Smith

Assistant Professor of Education & Counseling,
Director of the Master of Arts in Counseling Program,
Title IX Confidential Counselor

Our team is here for you! How can we help?

This form requires credentials in order to request information.