MHSA – Programmatic Effectiveness

Our Performance Indicators

Accreditation & State Licensure

Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation

VCOM is fully accredited by the:
AOA Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation (COCA) 142 E. Ontario Street, Chicago, IL 60611-2864
(888) 626-9262

The COCA is the only accrediting agency for predoctoral osteopathic medical education and is recognized by the United States Department of Education (USDE).

Southern Association of Colleges & Schools

Bluefield University is fully accredited by the:
Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC)
1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, GA 30033
(404) 679-4500

The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) is the body for the accreditation of degree-granting higher education institutions in the Southern states and is recognized by the United States Department of Education (USDE).

Alabama Community College System

Bluefield University and VCOM are independently licensed to offer an educational program, through the VCOM branch campus in Auburn, Alabama, that leads to the Master of Health Science in Anesthesia and Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine degrees, respectively, and to offer clinical clerkships in Alabama associated with the program:

Alabama Community College System
135 South Union Street, Montgomery, AL 36130 (334) 293-4504

Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs

The Master of Health Science in Anesthesia Program is fully accredited by the:
Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP)
9355 113t Street #7709, Seminole, FL 33775
(727) 210-2350

The Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) is a programmatic postsecondary accrediting agency recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) and carries out its accrediting activities in cooperation with 25 review Committees on Accreditation. CAAHEP currently accredits more than 2200 entry-level education programs in 32 health science professions.

Affiliated Organizations

Strategic Plan

Ready To Apply?

Do I only apply once?

  • No. Students must apply each academic year for the fall semester and submit the necessary documents.

Do I have to take the classes specified in the Associate's Degree tracks as they are listed on the information sheet?

  • No. Students may take any of the courses that are offered in a given term.

Where do I find the textbook listing, and where do I purchase the books?

  • Log in to myBU, and under the "Student" tab, you will find a list of the textbooks required (if any) for each course. Students are responsible for purchasing their own textbooks.

How long is a semester?

  • Our semesters are divided into two 8-week terms.

Is there an orientation?

  • Yes. Students can attend an orientation session that explains how to access courses, how to register for classes, and answers other questions.

Where can I find a course description?

Does the student need to take the SAT or ACT in order to take Dual Enrollment classes?

  • No. If a student decides to study at BU full time, BU is currently test-optional for the 2021-2022 admissions cycle.

Are the classes live? Do students need to log in and participate at certain times?

  • Classes are offered online, so a student can log-on and study at their convenience and their own pace. Students have assignments due each week; you can complete your assignments at any point in time before the deadline.

Does an Early College student need to come to campus for anything?

  • No. However, we would love to have you visit our campus if you are interested in continuing with traditional on-campus study. Students who complete their associate's degree have the option to walk at our commencement ceremony.

Are Early College students able to receive Financial Aid?

  • No. However, Early College courses are very affordable compared to other options. The cost for an online Dual Enrollment course is $100 per credit hour.

How do transferring credits work?

  • Each College or University completes a transcript review in order to decide which courses transfer. Sticking to general education classes generally makes transferring credits simple. All Early College courses at Bluefield University are general education classes that should transfer to another accredited institution.

Is an Early College student considered, and treated, as a transfer student when they become a full-time college student if they have earned enough credits to be a Junior?

  • No. Since they have not graduated from high school, they are considered a first-time college student regardless of how many credits transfer. However, by transferring credits when they enroll as a full-time student, they will have to take fewer classes to receive their bachelor's degree, which shortens the length of time to earn the degree.

Can I speak to someone if I have more questions?

  • Yes. Please contact the Office of Admissions by email or you can call them at 276.326.4231


Meet our core Counseling faculty

Dr. Challen Mabry

Assistant Professor of Counseling

Dr. Kristen Moran

Associate Professor of Counseling

Brandy Smith

Assistant Professor of Education & Counseling,
Director of the Master of Arts in Counseling Program,
Title IX Confidential Counselor

Our team is here for you! How can we help?

This form requires credentials in order to request information.