Bluefield University in the News

Tazewell County Board of Supervisors Expands the Tazewell County Tuition Assistance Plan to Include Bluefield University

by | Jan 13, 2023

Tazewell, VA During its January meeting, the Tazewell County Board of Supervisors voted 5-0 to expand its tuition assistance program to include Bluefield University. Spearheaded by Eastern District Supervisor, Charlie Stacy, the board allocated $100,000 for the program to begin with the 2023-2024 academic year and help fill the gap a student may face after all other grants and scholarships have been used.

Supervisor Stacy commented “During these financially difficult times, affordability of higher education is a challenge facing many families in Tazewell County. As the board has seen tremendous success with the tuition assistance program at Southwest Virginia Community College, it was only natural to expand the program to include Bluefield University and provide an opportunity for our residents to receive a quality education locally.” He continued “The initiative offers a successful pathway toward attaining a college degree which results in a stronger workforce and better job opportunities. As a board, we see this as another step toward developing the economic growth of our community.”

The incentive will assist in reducing the barriers young adults face toward gaining a college degree by providing tuition assistance up to $2,500 per fall and spring semester during a period of two years subsequent of their high school graduation.  Participation requires students to apply via application, receive a financial aid counseling session to determine tuition and fees, have a G.P.A of 3.0 or higher upon high school graduation and complete a minimum of eight hours of community service per semester while enrolled in the program.  A waiver of community service hours will be provided to qualifying participants who are members of the National Guard.

“We are grateful and excited Tazewell County and the Board of Supervisors have made this investment in helping students in our area stay local for their education,” said Dr. David W. Olive, Bluefield University President. “Students from Tazewell County already benefit from our reduced tuition plan, the Commonwealth Connection Scholarship, which can be paid with existing grants and awards being a student from Virginia. Now, due to Tazewell County’s scholarship funding, tuition expenses may be fully covered for qualifying students.”

For more information on how to apply, visit, call (800) 872-0175, or email [email protected]. To learn more about how Bluefield University is providing an affordable education through the Commonwealth Connection Scholarship, go to

For more information, please contact Rebecca Kasey, director of public relations, at [email protected].

Bluefield University

[email protected] • 276.326.4212

Do I only apply once?

  • No. Students must apply each academic year for the fall semester and submit the necessary documents.

Do I have to take the classes specified in the Associate's Degree tracks as they are listed on the information sheet?

  • No. Students may take any of the courses that are offered in a given term.

Where do I find the textbook listing, and where do I purchase the books?

  • Log in to myBU, and under the "Student" tab, you will find a list of the textbooks required (if any) for each course. Students are responsible for purchasing their own textbooks.

How long is a semester?

  • Our semesters are divided into two 8-week terms.

Is there an orientation?

  • Yes. Students can attend an orientation session that explains how to access courses, how to register for classes, and answers other questions.

Where can I find a course description?

Does the student need to take the SAT or ACT in order to take Dual Enrollment classes?

  • No. If a student decides to study at BU full time, BU is currently test-optional for the 2021-2022 admissions cycle.

Are the classes live? Do students need to log in and participate at certain times?

  • Classes are offered online, so a student can log-on and study at their convenience and their own pace. Students have assignments due each week; you can complete your assignments at any point in time before the deadline.

Does an Early College student need to come to campus for anything?

  • No. However, we would love to have you visit our campus if you are interested in continuing with traditional on-campus study. Students who complete their associate's degree have the option to walk at our commencement ceremony.

Are Early College students able to receive Financial Aid?

  • No. However, Early College courses are very affordable compared to other options. The cost for an online Dual Enrollment course is $100 per credit hour.

How do transferring credits work?

  • Each College or University completes a transcript review in order to decide which courses transfer. Sticking to general education classes generally makes transferring credits simple. All Early College courses at Bluefield University are general education classes that should transfer to another accredited institution.

Is an Early College student considered, and treated, as a transfer student when they become a full-time college student if they have earned enough credits to be a Junior?

  • No. Since they have not graduated from high school, they are considered a first-time college student regardless of how many credits transfer. However, by transferring credits when they enroll as a full-time student, they will have to take fewer classes to receive their bachelor's degree, which shortens the length of time to earn the degree.

Can I speak to someone if I have more questions?

  • Yes. Please contact the Office of Admissions by email or you can call them at 276.326.4231


Meet our core Counseling faculty

Dr. Challen Mabry

Assistant Professor of Counseling

Dr. Kristen Moran

Associate Professor of Counseling

Brandy Smith

Assistant Professor of Education & Counseling,
Director of the Master of Arts in Counseling Program,
Title IX Confidential Counselor

Our team is here for you! How can we help?

This form requires credentials in order to request information.