Bluefield University in the News


by | Jun 5, 2018

In light of the changes made to tax deductions with the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017, donors may be asking themselves, “Will I continue to itemize deductions, or will I claim the standard deduction with my 2018 tax returns?” With the significant change in the standard deduction, a fair number of taxpayers will likely shift to claim the standard deduction. And in doing so, they will benefit by having more discretionary income available to save, spend, and give. However, as taxpayers look more closely at their expenses and the new tax code implications on itemized deductions, many will find that continuing to be an itemizer is a relevant reality.

To understand more concretely the decision of taking the standard deduction or itemizing, let’s look at an example. Jack and Jill are married and live in the state of Missouri. Jack is a computer programmer earning $93,000 per year. Jill is a financial analyst and makes $70,000. Their total household income is $163,000. They will pay state income tax of $10,098. Their mortgage is $165,000 and they will pay mortgage interest of $5,470. Their property taxes are $1,944. Because their property taxes and state income taxes exceed the new aggregate limit of $10,000, they are “capped” at that amount. Jack and Jill have two charitable giving priorities: $400 per month to support the church they attend, and $5,000 per year to support Bluefield College where they met and to whom they are grateful for the education they received.

In this scenario, Jack and Jill, filing jointly, have total itemized deductions under the new tax code that applies to their 2018 tax return as follows:

Mortgage Interest $5,470
State & Local Taxes $10,000
Charitable Giving $9,800
TOTAL $25,270

Jack and Jill would choose to itemize their deductions, as the amount of their itemized deductions exceeds the $24,000 standard deduction limit. As households look more closely at their tax-deductible expenses and their overall charitable giving, many may find that even as the standard deduction has been made a more viable option due to the doubling of its levels, continuing as an itemizer may very well continue to be the best option in maximizing tax savings.

Bluefield University

[email protected]276.326.4212

Do I only apply once?

  • No. Students must apply each academic year for the fall semester and submit the necessary documents.

Do I have to take the classes specified in the Associate's Degree tracks as they are listed on the information sheet?

  • No. Students may take any of the courses that are offered in a given term.

Where do I find the textbook listing, and where do I purchase the books?

  • Log in to myBU, and under the "Student" tab, you will find a list of the textbooks required (if any) for each course. Students are responsible for purchasing their own textbooks.

How long is a semester?

  • Our semesters are divided into two 8-week terms.

Is there an orientation?

  • Yes. Students can attend an orientation session that explains how to access courses, how to register for classes, and answers other questions.

Where can I find a course description?

Does the student need to take the SAT or ACT in order to take Dual Enrollment classes?

  • No. If a student decides to study at BU full time, BU is currently test-optional for the 2021-2022 admissions cycle.

Are the classes live? Do students need to log in and participate at certain times?

  • Classes are offered online, so a student can log-on and study at their convenience and their own pace. Students have assignments due each week; you can complete your assignments at any point in time before the deadline.

Does an Early College student need to come to campus for anything?

  • No. However, we would love to have you visit our campus if you are interested in continuing with traditional on-campus study. Students who complete their associate's degree have the option to walk at our commencement ceremony.

Are Early College students able to receive Financial Aid?

  • No. However, Early College courses are very affordable compared to other options. The cost for an online Dual Enrollment course is $100 per credit hour.

How do transferring credits work?

  • Each College or University completes a transcript review in order to decide which courses transfer. Sticking to general education classes generally makes transferring credits simple. All Early College courses at Bluefield University are general education classes that should transfer to another accredited institution.

Is an Early College student considered, and treated, as a transfer student when they become a full-time college student if they have earned enough credits to be a Junior?

  • No. Since they have not graduated from high school, they are considered a first-time college student regardless of how many credits transfer. However, by transferring credits when they enroll as a full-time student, they will have to take fewer classes to receive their bachelor's degree, which shortens the length of time to earn the degree.

Can I speak to someone if I have more questions?

  • Yes. Please contact the Office of Admissions by email or you can call them at 276.326.4231


Meet our core Counseling faculty

Dr. Challen Mabry

Assistant Professor of Counseling

Dr. Jenna Fitzgerald

Assistant Professor of Counseling

Dr. Kristen Raymond

Assistant Professor of Counseling

Our team is here for you! How can we help?

This form requires credentials in order to request information.