Bluefield University in the News


by | Jun 5, 2018

Bluefield College will host a square dancing class and square dance, Saturday, June 9 from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. in BC’s Shott Hall.

Led by Mountain Style Square Dance caller Lou Maiuri, the instructional class will run from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m., and the dance, called by Maiuri, will be from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. The cost for both is $10 per individual and $15 per couple.

Proceeds from the event will go to support Bluefield College’s New Opportunity School for Women (NOSW). Founded as a result of the need to help women in Appalachia become better educated and employed, the NOSW is designed to improve the educational, financial and personal circumstances of low-income, under-educated, middle-aged women in the Appalachian region. Through a three-week residential experience on the BC campus, participants, who have encountered difficult circumstances but still have an eagerness to learn, are exposed to academic study, cultural experiences, personal development, job search training, college preparation, and leadership development. Through grants from foundations, gifts from individual donors, and fundraisers like the square dance event, the college is able to offer the life-changing experience free of charge to all NOSW participants.

For more information about the square dancing event or the New Opportunity School for Women (, contact NOSW director Courtney Williams by phone at 276-326-4620 or by email at [email protected] or BC’s Burma McChesney by phone at 276-326-4248 or by email at [email protected].

Bluefield University

[email protected]276.326.4212

Do I only apply once?

  • No. Students must apply each academic year for the fall semester and submit the necessary documents.

Do I have to take the classes specified in the Associate's Degree tracks as they are listed on the information sheet?

  • No. Students may take any of the courses that are offered in a given term.

Where do I find the textbook listing, and where do I purchase the books?

  • Log in to myBU, and under the "Student" tab, you will find a list of the textbooks required (if any) for each course. Students are responsible for purchasing their own textbooks.

How long is a semester?

  • Our semesters are divided into two 8-week terms.

Is there an orientation?

  • Yes. Students can attend an orientation session that explains how to access courses, how to register for classes, and answers other questions.

Where can I find a course description?

Does the student need to take the SAT or ACT in order to take Dual Enrollment classes?

  • No. If a student decides to study at BU full time, BU is currently test-optional for the 2021-2022 admissions cycle.

Are the classes live? Do students need to log in and participate at certain times?

  • Classes are offered online, so a student can log-on and study at their convenience and their own pace. Students have assignments due each week; you can complete your assignments at any point in time before the deadline.

Does an Early College student need to come to campus for anything?

  • No. However, we would love to have you visit our campus if you are interested in continuing with traditional on-campus study. Students who complete their associate's degree have the option to walk at our commencement ceremony.

Are Early College students able to receive Financial Aid?

  • No. However, Early College courses are very affordable compared to other options. The cost for an online Dual Enrollment course is $100 per credit hour.

How do transferring credits work?

  • Each College or University completes a transcript review in order to decide which courses transfer. Sticking to general education classes generally makes transferring credits simple. All Early College courses at Bluefield University are general education classes that should transfer to another accredited institution.

Is an Early College student considered, and treated, as a transfer student when they become a full-time college student if they have earned enough credits to be a Junior?

  • No. Since they have not graduated from high school, they are considered a first-time college student regardless of how many credits transfer. However, by transferring credits when they enroll as a full-time student, they will have to take fewer classes to receive their bachelor's degree, which shortens the length of time to earn the degree.

Can I speak to someone if I have more questions?

  • Yes. Please contact the Office of Admissions by email or you can call them at 276.326.4231


Meet our core Counseling faculty

Dr. Challen Mabry

Assistant Professor of Counseling

Dr. Jenna Fitzgerald

Assistant Professor of Counseling

Dr. Kristen Raymond

Assistant Professor of Counseling

Our team is here for you! How can we help?

This form requires credentials in order to request information.