The primary purpose of the Graduate Assistant Strength & Conditioning Coach is to provide student-athletes with the tools to develop and optimize their athletic capabilities in harmony with the Christian principles of Bluefield College. Primary sport assignments will be assigned by Head Strength and Conditioning Coach. The graduate assistant will give support to the athletic administrative team included within the athletic department of Bluefield College, while fostering and maintaining fiscal responsibility
ESSENTIAL DUTIES, RESPONSIBILITIES, AND FUNCTIONS
The GA is directly responsible to the Director of Herb Sims Wellness Center. The GA is responsible for the following:
- Effectively teach and execute the proper technique of lifts and drills, strong command, and supervision of team workouts.
- Designs and conducts daily training programs in order to maximize the physical performance of student-athletes.
- Assist in all aspects of the Bluefield Athletics daily operations.
- Assist sports medicine staff with the rehabilitation of sports-related injuries to student-athletes.
- Help mentor current/future graduate assistants, interns, and volunteer Sports Performance coaches.
- Assist with the maintenance and upkeep of BC Athletic facilities.
- Promote habits/policies/procedures that are in harmony with and supportive of, the institutional mission and philosophy of Bluefield College.
- Work with athletic training and medical health services as well as other departments to promote Bluefield College Athletics.
- Assist with game-day operations as needed.
- Assist in event implementation and assigned operational needs.
Complies with all rules, policies, and procedures as established by Bluefield College.
Complies with regular attendance at the College during regularly scheduled days and work hours.
Interprets College policies to employees and enforces safety regulations.
Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE
Individuals must possess the knowledge, skills, and ability to demonstrate, explain, and perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodations, using some combination of the following skills and abilities:
- Must be able to support the Mission Statement, purpose, and goals of the College, and express a personal Christian commitment.
- The GA Coach must possess a minimum of a B.S. /B.A. degree.
- The GA Coach must possess a Strength & Conditioning certification from CSCS or ISSA
- The GA Coach must have a current and working knowledge of NAIA regulations.
- The GA Coach must possess sufficient manual dexterity to be able to operate all office equipment including but not limited to: modems, scanners, copy machines, typewriters, computers, and faxes.
- Basic computer knowledge (MS Word, MS Outlook, MS Excel).
Each GA is required to maintain all requirements set forth by the program that they are enrolled in. This is to include:
- Minimum GPA requirements
- Program progression requirements
- Minimum of 6 enrolled credit hours per semester
- Physical Demands
The position of the GA Sport Coach is a physically demanding job. The functions are performed sitting, standing, and running. The GA Sport Coach should be in sufficient physical condition to perform administrative and coaching duties. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Driving vehicles and transportation of athletes are duties that are required at various times. Tasks such as working at a computer or typewriter involve extensive wrist and hand movements. All individuals are required to be able to perform these movements without significant risk or injury to themselves or others, or otherwise demonstrate or explain how they can perform these essential functions listed above or listed in a particular position description.
- Specialized Equipment Requirements
The use of specialized equipment listed here is representative of equipment an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This position requires equipment typically used in a modern office environment, including personal computers, calculators, copiers, and fax machines.
- Working Conditions and Environment
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the duties, responsibilities, and functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the duties, responsibilities, and functions. This position has no specific working conditions; the work environment is typical to that of a small private residential institution of higher education, with physical remote site locations within 500 miles of the main campus in Bluefield, Virginia.
The qualification standards of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- A Christian commitment and lifestyle that acknowledges a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and a personal commitment to the Christian purpose and mission of Bluefield College.
- Professional appearance and presentation in the working environment (including business casual attire).
The GA Sport Coach’s performance will be based on the ability to meet departmental and divisional objectives. Performance will also be based on the ability to advance institutional objectives.
The criteria for evaluation in this position include, but are not limited to the following:
- Ability to develop student-athletes to their fullest potential.
- Ability to fulfill job description requirements as listed above in a timely and effective manner.
- Ability to perform administrative functions such as supervision, budget preparation, and management.
- GA’s will be formally evaluated twice a year with evaluations taken place throughout each semester.
The job duties, responsibilities, functions, and requirements delineated above should not be interpreted as an all-inclusive list of the same. Additional duties, responsibilities, functions, and requirements may be assigned as deemed appropriate. The College reserves the right to change or reassign job duties, responsibilities, and functions, or combine positions at any time. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, it is possible that requirements may be modified to reasonably accommodate disabled individuals. However, no accommodations will be made which may pose serious health or safety risks to the employee or others or which impose undue hardships on the College. Position descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The College maintains its status as an at-will employer.
To apply for this position, please visit https://www.bluefield.edu/employment/ to complete the electronic staff employment application and upload the following:
- Letter of interest
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Names and full contact information for at least three professional references
- Statement of Christian Faith
Hard copy application materials may be sent to Judy Pedneau, Director of Human Resources at Bluefield College, 3000 College Avenue, Bluefield, VA 24605, [email protected]
Additional information about Bluefield College is available at www.bluefield.edu.
To be considered for this position, all application requirements listed above must be completed.
Bluefield College is a Christ-centered, multicultural learning community that values and seeks faculty and staff who represent diverse backgrounds and perspectives, are committed to diversity, work effectively with diverse populations, and engage others in ways that honor our rich cultural mosaic and biblical foundation.
Bluefield College is a private, not-for-profit institution affiliated with the Baptist General Association of Virginia. Bluefield College shall not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, disability, age, religion, genetic information, veteran or military status, or any other basis on which the College is prohibited from discrimination under local, state, or federal law, in its employment or in the provision of its services, including but not limited to its programs and activities, admissions, educational policies, scholarship and loan programs, and athletic and other College-administered programs. This institution encourages women, minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities to apply.