Bluefield University in the News


by | Jul 17, 2011

Print available for sale by mail now. Autographed prints for sale on May 21.

When one of America’s most prized living artists applies her gifts to illustrating one of the more prominent, revered structures on the campus of Bluefield College, the result is a work of art that no BC alumnus or friend will want to be without.

Highly regarded artist P. Buckley Moss of Waynesboro, Virginia, recently completed a painting of BC’s Harman Chapel. Prints of the painting are available for sale at Frameworks Plus in Princeton, West Virginia. In fact, Moss herself will visit Frameworks Plus on Saturday, May 21 to autograph prints sold to buyers.

“P. Buckley Moss is an extremely talented and well-loved artist with a very loyal following,” said BC alumni director Josh Cline. “Her paintings of local landmarks have been well received by art collectors and enthusiasts throughout the region, and we’re thrilled that she has chosen Bluefield’s Harman Chapel as her latest scenic illustration.”

Moss is known for paintings depicting simplicity, whether an Amish carriage, a chapel, geese or children. A native of New York, she settled in 1964 in central Virginia, an area known for its rural scenery. There, she began to incorporate the new surroundings into her artwork. In 1967, she won her first major art show. The exhibition encouraged Moss to market her work, creating a wave of popularity that has lasted for decades. Today, her work can be found in more than 200 galleries, like Frameworks Plus in Princeton.

The cost of her Harman Chapel print is $90. BC alumni and friends who purchase an autographed print at Frameworks on May 21 will receive a second Moss print valued at $50. The Harman Chapel print sale will run from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., May 21.

Bluefield University

[email protected]276.326.4212

Do I only apply once?

  • No. Students must apply each academic year for the fall semester and submit the necessary documents.

Do I have to take the classes specified in the Associate's Degree tracks as they are listed on the information sheet?

  • No. Students may take any of the courses that are offered in a given term.

Where do I find the textbook listing, and where do I purchase the books?

  • Log in to myBU, and under the "Student" tab, you will find a list of the textbooks required (if any) for each course. Students are responsible for purchasing their own textbooks.

How long is a semester?

  • Our semesters are divided into two 8-week terms.

Is there an orientation?

  • Yes. Students can attend an orientation session that explains how to access courses, how to register for classes, and answers other questions.

Where can I find a course description?

Does the student need to take the SAT or ACT in order to take Dual Enrollment classes?

  • No. If a student decides to study at BU full time, BU is currently test-optional for the 2021-2022 admissions cycle.

Are the classes live? Do students need to log in and participate at certain times?

  • Classes are offered online, so a student can log-on and study at their convenience and their own pace. Students have assignments due each week; you can complete your assignments at any point in time before the deadline.

Does an Early College student need to come to campus for anything?

  • No. However, we would love to have you visit our campus if you are interested in continuing with traditional on-campus study. Students who complete their associate's degree have the option to walk at our commencement ceremony.

Are Early College students able to receive Financial Aid?

  • No. However, Early College courses are very affordable compared to other options. The cost for an online Dual Enrollment course is $100 per credit hour.

How do transferring credits work?

  • Each College or University completes a transcript review in order to decide which courses transfer. Sticking to general education classes generally makes transferring credits simple. All Early College courses at Bluefield University are general education classes that should transfer to another accredited institution.

Is an Early College student considered, and treated, as a transfer student when they become a full-time college student if they have earned enough credits to be a Junior?

  • No. Since they have not graduated from high school, they are considered a first-time college student regardless of how many credits transfer. However, by transferring credits when they enroll as a full-time student, they will have to take fewer classes to receive their bachelor's degree, which shortens the length of time to earn the degree.

Can I speak to someone if I have more questions?

  • Yes. Please contact the Office of Admissions by email or you can call them at 276.326.4231


Meet our core Counseling faculty

Dr. Challen Mabry

Assistant Professor of Counseling

Dr. Kristen Moran

Associate Professor of Counseling

Brandy Smith

Assistant Professor of Education & Counseling,
Director of the Master of Arts in Counseling Program,
Title IX Confidential Counselor

Our team is here for you! How can we help?

This form requires credentials in order to request information.