Dedicated to providing quality fine arts instruction to the community since 1993, BC’s Fine Arts Community School (FACS) is a community service outreach program that enables local families and students of all ages and interests, including home-schoolers, to explore and study the arts with the guidance of mentors and professionals who have appropriate training and experience.
More than 20 classes, workshops and lessons are available on the FACS schedule this spring, including five new classes starting soon in “Not a Dying Art,” “Intermediate Photography,” “Blue Ridge Mountains Paint Night,” “LadySafe Self Defense,” and “Private Music Lessons,” all detailed below.
Not a Dyeing Art Classes
· March 28 through April 25
· Tuesdays 6 p.m. to 7 p.m.
· Ages: 8 to adult
· Tuition: $40 per person or $100 for up to five member families
· Have you ever dyed a Ukrainian Easter Egg? Are you interested in trying your hand at tie-dyeing? Curious about using natural dyes? Join this special class on dyeing techniques, including Ukrainian Pysanky egg dying, tie-dying, natural dying, and paper marbleizing.
Intermediate Photography Classes
· March 30 through April 27
· Thursdays 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.
· Ages: 14 to adult
· Tuition: $95
· Instructor: Hal Brainerd
· Learn about proper lighting; exposure; composition; color calibration of monitors; high dynamic range, uploading, sorting, filing and backing up images; editing in RAW, editing with Nik Viveza software, and editing with Nik HDR software. Required equipment: digital camera and laptop computer with Photoshop Elements, Photoshop or Lightroom.
Blue Ridge Mountains Paint Night
· Friday, April 7
· 6:45 p.m.
· Ages: all
· Tuition: $30
· Instructor: Marianne Jackson
· Paint along with artist Marianne Jackson to create your own work of art that you will take home at the end of the workshop. Painting supplies and artist instructions provided. No art experience needed.
LadySafe Self-Defense Workshop
· Saturday, April 15 from 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
· Or, Friday, May 5 from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.
· Ages: 13 and up
· Tuition: $25 or $40 for mother and daughter combo special
· Instructor: Melissa Bishop (third degree black belt)
· Violence can occur anywhere and at any time. In this workshop, ladies will be presented with a variety of information and self-defense strategies that could prove useful to them if they ever find themselves in a potentially violent encounter, including how to avoid attacks, the vital targets of the human body, our own personal arsenal of built in weapons, and self-defense techniques.
Private Music Lessons (banjo, mandolin, trumpet, flute, piano, voice, guitar)
· 30-minute lessons once each week for five or 10 weeks
· Days and times to be determined by student and instructor
· Ages: 5 and up (piano, voice), 10 and up (trumpet, flute), beginner to advanced (banjo, mandolin, guitar)
· Tuition: $190 (10-weeks) or $110 (five-weeks) + $25 registration fee
· Instructors: Ron Mullennex (banjo, mandolin), Dr. Alexa Schlimmer (piano, voice), Dr. Charles Priest (trumpet), Linda Flowers (flute), and James Lilly (guitar)
A $25 non-refundable registration fee and is due per student per class when registering for most BC Fine Arts Community School lessons and classes (but not workshops). If registering more than one person within a family, the registration fee is discounted to $15 per person.
In some cases, an additional supplies fee (i.e. art supplies) may be charged in addition to tuition. Tuition and fees are due by the start of instruction and may be mailed and made payable to Bluefield College, FACS, 3000 College Avenue, Bluefield, VA 24605. Payment plans are available.
Register online with a major credit card by visiting www.bluefield.edu/facs or by phone at 276-326-4215. For more information about FACS classes, including payment plans, contact FACS coordinator Burma McChesney by email at [email protected] or by phone at 276-326-4248.