The Senior Staff Accountant reports to the Vice President for Finance and Administration and is responsible for financial processes in the Business Office while assisting the Vice President for Finance and Administration on Business Office matters.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES, RESPONSIBILITIES, AND FUNCTIONS
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The essential duties, responsibilities, and functions of the Senior Staff Accountant include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Preparation of monthly bank account reconciliations and related journal entries
- Preparation monthly analysis and update of Endowment Investments and related journal entries.
- Financial Statement Preparation-prepare month-end statements.
- Reconciliation Analysis – Funds
- Perform monthly reconciliation analysis of Temporarily and Restricted Funds.
- Perform monthly reconciliation analysis of Endowment Funds.
- Perform monthly reconciliation analysis of related scholarships.
- Review and reconcile quarterly pledge reports and gift reports prepared by Institutional Advancement.
- Assist the Vice President of Finance and Administration with performing analyses and preparing schedules for the annual audit and audit footnotes
- Assist the Vice President of Finance and Administration with the completion of related annual Form 990 schedules
- Quarterly reconciliation and journal entries for Funds held in Trust
- Assist with preparation of various analysis, periodic schedules, account reconciliations, and occasional special projects where needed
- Maintains deferred revenue schedule with monthly adjustments
- Assists student accounts with collection efforts when needed
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting required, Master’s degree preferred
- 5+ experience in business administration, accounting, etc.
- Non-profit experience a plus
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, an attention to detail, an aptitude for logical thinking, a commitment to professional ethics, the ability to interact with College staff and faculty, and maintaining confidential information are essential.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise discretion and independent judgment when necessary.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment and meet goals in a timely manner is essential.
- Acutely familiar with accounting principles
- Skilled in interpersonal relationship development.
- Ability to think collaboratively, strategically, and creatively.
- Ability to manage budgets and make sound financial decisions.
- Ability to apply highly developed organizational, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks with concurrent deadlines.
- Willingness to travel for work, attend trainings, and professional development workshops.
- Experience with Microsoft Office products, relevant software systems, and Jenzabar, or other database systems knowledge is essential.
- Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This position is not necessarily a physically demanding job and generally requires no specific physical demands other than those typical in a modern office environment. Normal responsibilities should not afford risks of accidental injury.
- Specialized Equipment Requirements: The use of specialized equipment listed here is representative of equipment an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This position requires equipment typically used in a modern office environment, including personal computers, calculators, copiers, and fax machines.
- Working Conditions and Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the duties, responsibilities, and functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the duties, responsibilities, and functions. This position has no specific working conditions; the work environment is typical to that of a small private residential institution of higher education, with physical remote site locations within 500 miles of the main campus in Bluefield, Virginia.
The qualification standards of the Senior Staff Accountant include, but are not limited to, the following:
- A Christian commitment and lifestyle that acknowledges a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and a personal commitment to the Christian purpose and mission of Bluefield College.
- Professional appearance and presentation in the working environment.
This position is subject to at least an annual evaluation based upon the job duties, responsibilities, and functions as set forth above.
The job duties, responsibilities, functions, and requirements delineated above should not be interpreted as an all-inclusive list of the same. Additional duties, responsibilities, functions, and requirements may be assigned as deemed appropriate. The College reserves the right to change or reassign job duties, responsibilities, and functions, or combine positions at any time. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, it is possible that requirements may be modified to reasonably accommodate disabled individuals. However, no accommodations will be made which may pose serious health or safety risks to the employee or others or which impose undue hardships on the College. Position descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The College maintains its status as an at-will employer.
My signature acknowledges that I have received a copy of my position description and have read and understand my job duties, responsibilities, and functions contained therein. My signature also acknowledges that I have been given the opportunity to ask questions about anything contained in the position description.
To apply for this position, please visit https://www.bluefield.edu/employment/ to complete the electronic staff employment application and upload the following:
- Letter of interest
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Names and full contact information for at least three professional references
- Statement of Christian Faith
Hard copy application materials may be sent to Judy Pedneau, Director of Human Resources at Bluefield College, 3000 College Avenue, Bluefield, VA 24605, [email protected]
Additional information about Bluefield College is available at www.bluefield.edu.
To be considered for this position, all application requirements listed above must be completed.
Bluefield College is a Christ-centered, multicultural learning community that values and seeks faculty and staff who represent diverse backgrounds and perspectives, are committed to diversity, work effectively with diverse populations, and engage others in ways that honor our rich cultural mosaic and biblical foundation.
Bluefield College is a private, not-for-profit institution affiliated with the Baptist General Association of Virginia. Bluefield College shall not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, disability, age, religion, genetic information, veteran or military status, or any other basis on which the College is prohibited from discrimination under local, state, or federal law, in its employment or in the provision of its services, including but not limited to its programs and activities, admissions, educational policies, scholarship and loan programs, and athletic and other College-administered programs. This institution encourages women, minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities to apply.