The Administrative Assistant reports to the Dean/Assistant Dean of the School of Nursing and provides administrative and office support activities for the nursing program. The role is to be performed in a way that is in harmony with the Christian principles and mission of Bluefield University.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES, RESPONSIBILITIES, AND FUNCTIONS
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Assist with the daily operation of the School of Nursing. These responsibilities include strong communication skills to receive visitors and telephone calls, set up appointments, and written correspondence. Other responsibilities include photocopying, scanning, faxing, performing filing/data entry, and other duties as assigned.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (i.e., Word, Excel, PowerPoint), and online navigation of LMS (Learning Management System) as well as internet research abilities.
- Assist with the faculty evaluation process as directed in preparing faculty and adjunct faculty annual reports.
- May provide assistance to nursing adjunct faculty as needed.
- Prepare reports as directed by the Dean/Assistant Dean.
- Complete minutes for nursing faculty meetings, External Advisory Committee and other meetings as directed.
- Monitor inventory levels and requisition or purchase supplies as needed.
- Manage financial activities of the nursing department and provide input into budget planning and maintenance.
- Maintain annual (or as needed) updates of the Academic Catalog, Preceptor Manual, Student Handbook, Adjunct Faculty Handbook, and Bluefield University School of Nursing homepage/site.
- Works with faculty, student, and preceptors to assign clinical sites and develop affiliation agreements.
- Schedule and assist with advising students.
- Prepare and maintain student files with up-to-date information.
- Must love animals as this department houses our emotional support dog who comes to campus.
Experience in performing the following:
- Filing (paper and electronic) maintenance and organization.
- Perform Internet research.
- Meeting coordination and planning.
- Presentation development and editing.
- Report compilation and processing, Commission of Collegiate Nursing Education and state Postsecondary Office of Higher Education applications.
- Software expertise in Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Word, and others
- Composing and typing (letters, reports, memos, e-mails, proposals, and note-taking/meeting minutes).
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- A professional demeanor and presentation in dealing with the public.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and writing skills required.
- Computer efficiency in Microsoft Office and ability to adapt to other technology as needed.
- Ability to manage time for multi-task daily functions.
- Preparing self-studies or complex documents.
- Prior administrative assistant experience.
- Associate’s Degree or two years of University work preferred.
The evaluation of the performance of this position will be based on the ability to meet the requirements of the duties and tasks outlined above.
The criteria for evaluation of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- The ability to fulfill position description requirements as listed above in a timely and effective manner.
- The ability to self-motivate and achieve set goals.
- The ability to work cooperatively with all personnel and departments in the University.
- The ability to work independently to complete tasks and meet department deadlines.
Note: Bluefield University reserves the right to change or reassign job duties, or combine positions at any time deemed appropriate.
This position is subject to at least an annual evaluation based upon the job duties, responsibilities, and functions as set forth above.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This position is not necessarily a physically demanding job and generally requires no specific physical demands other than those typical in a modern office environment. Normal responsibilities should not afford risks of accidental injury.
Specialized Equipment Requirements
- The use of specialized equipment listed here is representative of equipment an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This position requires equipment typically used in a modern office environment, including personal computers, calculators, copiers, and fax machines.
Working Conditions and Environment
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the duties, responsibilities, and functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the duties, responsibilities, and functions. This position has no specific working conditions; the work environment is typical to that of a small private residential institution of higher education, with physical remote site locations within 500 miles of the main campus in Bluefield, Virginia.
The job duties, responsibilities, functions, and requirements delineated above should not be interpreted as an all-inclusive list of same. Additional duties, responsibilities, functions, and requirements may be assigned as deemed appropriate. The University reserves the right to change or reassign job duties, responsibilities, and functions, or combine positions at any time. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, it is possible that requirements may be modified to reasonably accommodate disabled individuals. However, no accommodations will be made which may pose serious health or safety risks to the employee or others or which impose undue hardships on the University. Position descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The University maintains its status as an at-will employer.
To apply for this position, please visit https://www.bluefield.edu/employment/ to complete the electronic staff employment application and upload the following:
- Letter of interest
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Names and full contact information for at least three professional references
- Statement of Christian Faith
Hard copy application materials may be sent to Judy Pedneau, Director of Human Resources at Bluefield University, 3000 College Avenue, Bluefield, VA 24605, [email protected]
Additional information about Bluefield University is available at www.bluefield.edu.
To be considered for this position, all application requirements listed above must be completed.
Bluefield University is a Christ-centered, multicultural learning community that values and seeks faculty and staff who represent diverse backgrounds and perspectives, are committed to diversity, work effectively with diverse populations, and engage others in ways that honor our rich cultural mosaic and biblical foundation.
Bluefield University is a private, not-for-profit institution affiliated with the Baptist General Association of Virginia. Bluefield University shall not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, disability, age, religion, genetic information, veteran or military status, or any other basis on which the University is prohibited from discrimination under local, state, or federal law, in its employment or in the provision of its services, including but not limited to its programs and activities, admissions, educational policies, scholarship and and loan programs, and athletic and other University-administered programs. This institution encourages women, minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities to apply.