The responsibility of this position consists of teaching undergraduate nursing courses as appropriate to credentials. This is an on-campus position, and the faculty is required to be on the Bluefield University campus. A range of suitable strategies will be employed, such as video streaming lectures, discussion groups, clinical rotations, skills lab, and others. The faculty will facilitate meaningful learning of the course competencies in the curriculum, will proactively support all facets of the learning environment, and will demonstrate the ability to work with students.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides competency-based education, which aligns with the framework of nursing curricula as well as supports the delivery.
- Designs and delivers class instruction through the development of instructional plans/syllabus to meet course competencies, the development of assignment activities that support program and course objectives, and appropriately delivers the instruction.
- Promotes and enhances student success by showing flexibility in style as well as exhibiting a passion for teaching and students and demonstrating the ability to engage students in the learning process.
- Manages the learning environment by keeping accurate records, submitting grades and other reports on time, and enforcing university/school policies for the undergraduate program.
- Contributes to a learning culture by participating in curriculum decisions and attending faculty meetings, either face-to-face or via conference calls.
- Communicates effectively, both verbal and written, that will represent Bluefield College and the Nursing Program within the community, healthcare providers, and most importantly the student and prospective students.
- Is a life-long learner and maintains professional development.
- Facilitates and paces instruction effectively to maximize student learning.
- Demonstrates time management and detail-oriented skills.
- Computer-based skills (i.e., software).
- Manages and facilitates learning in clinical rotations and the skills lab.
Education and/or Experience:
- Master of Science in nursing is required.
- Active and unrestricted RN license in WV and VA or a multistate license.
- Teaching experience in nursing education and practice (preferred).
- Must be able to work with diverse populations.
- Must support the mission of Bluefield University and the nursing program.
- Physical Demands
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. This position is not necessarily a physically demanding job and requires no specific physical demands other than those typical in a modern office environment. Normal responsibilities should not afford risks of accidental injury.
- Specialized Equipment Requirements
The use of specialized equipment listed here is representative of equipment an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. This position requires no specialized equipment other than equipment typically used in a modern office environment, including personal computers, calculators, copiers, and fax machines.
- Working Conditions and Environment
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the duties, responsibilities, and functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the duties, responsibilities, and functions. This position has no specific working conditions; the work environment is typical to that of a small private University, with physical remote site locations within 50 miles of Bluefield University, VA.
This position is subject to at least an annual evaluation based on the job duties, responsibilities, and functions as set forth above.
The job duties, responsibilities, functions, and requirements delineated above should not be interpreted as an all-inclusive list of same. Additional duties, responsibilities, functions, and requirements may be assigned as deemed appropriate. Bluefield University reserves the right to change or reassign job duties, responsibilities, and functions, or combine positions at any time. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, it is possible that requirements may be modified to reasonably accommodate disabled individuals. However, no accommodations will be made which may pose serious health or safety risks to the employee or others or which impose undue hardships on Bluefield University. Position descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. Bluefield maintains its status as an at-will employer.
To apply for this position, please visit https://www.bluefield.edu/employment/ to complete the electronic faculty employment application and upload the following:
- Letter of interest
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of Christian Faith
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy
- Original Transcripts
- Three letters of reference
Hard copy application materials may be sent to Judy Pedneau, Director of Human Resources at Bluefield University, 3000 College Avenue, Bluefield, VA 24605, [email protected].
Additional information about Bluefield University is available at www.bluefield.edu.
To be considered for this position, all application requirements listed above must be completed.
Bluefield University is a private, not-for-profit institution affiliated with the Baptist General Association of Virginia. Bluefield University shall not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, disability, age, religion, genetic information, veteran or military status, or any other basis on which the University is prohibited from discrimination under local, state, or federal law, in its employment or in the provision of its services, including but not limited to its programs and activities, admissions, educational policies, scholarship and loan programs, and athletic and other University-administered programs. This institution encourages women, minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities to apply.
Bluefield University is a Christ-centered, multicultural learning community that values and seeks faculty and staff who represent diverse backgrounds and perspectives, are committed to diversity, work effectively with diverse populations, and engage others in ways that honor our rich cultural mosaic and biblical foundation.
Please note the definition of “Original Transcripts”
Hard-copy transcripts and other academic records are considered “official” when they arrive in a sealed, stamped, official envelope with the seal and any other security feature intact. Electronic transcripts are considered “official” when we receive them from a secure site formally linked to the sending institution or testing service.
Academic records received in any other condition, such as transcripts that arrive in an unsealed envelope, or that are emailed or uploaded by the student, or that are printed from the university portal, are not considered “official.”
Official transcripts may be sent to:
Academic Affairs Office
3000 College Avenue
Bluefield, VA 24605