The Reference & Online Resources Librarian will be responsible for providing reference service to library users, managing the library’s electronic resources, providing library instruction, and assisting with cataloging.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES, RESPONSIBILITIES, AND FUNCTIONS
The essential duties, responsibilities, and functions of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assists library users in locating needed materials in the collection (print and/or electronic).
- Assists library users with the research process.
- Library Instruction
- Plans and delivers instructional services and supports the needs of faculty members in implementing library instruction.
- Instructs library users in the use of electronic databases, the library catalog, and other features of the library website.
- Prepares online tutorials and guides to the library’s resources.
- Works by phone and email with students and faculty in the e-Learning Programs to troubleshoot issues related to off-campus access to electronic resources, and updates, as needed, the library assignment.Electronic Resources
- Evaluates new electronic resources being considered for inclusion in the library’s resources and evaluates use of existing electronic resources.
- Troubleshoots problems that occur with electronic resources and contacts appropriate vendors.
- Managing electronic resources. This includes staying abreast of renewals/contracts/agreements/communications with consortial providers and vendors and manages the database budget.
- Keeps abreast of new trends in technology, use of electronic resources, open access resources, and new databases available.
- Co-manages library social media.
- Cataloging of library materials as needed.
- Other duties
- Participates in faculty and committee meetings as assigned.
- Attends professional development meetings during the year.
- Helps with library sponsored events during the year.
- Complies with all rules, policies, and procedures as established by Bluefield University
- Performs other duties as assigned, i.e. oversight of student workers under the supervision of the Co-Directors and oversight of faculty requests to add materials to the Reserve Collection.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE
- Commitment to Christ as Lord and Savior, and active church membership.
- L.S./M.L.I.S degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- Interpersonal skills to enable effective communication with faculty, staff, and students.
- Physical Demands
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This position is not necessarily a physically demanding job but may require sitting, standing, bending, stooping, pushing, pulling, reaching, picking up. Some repetitive activities will include use of a mouse and keyboard. Normal responsibilities should not afford risks of accidental injury.
- Specialized Equipment Requirements
The use of specialized equipment listed here is representative of equipment an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This position requires equipment typically used in a modern office environment, including personal computers, calculators, copiers, and fax machines.
- Working Conditions and Environment
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the duties, responsibilities, and functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the duties, responsibilities, and functions. This position has no specific working conditions; the work environment is typical to that of a small private residential institution of higher education, with physical remote site locations within 500 miles of the main campus in Bluefield, Virginia.
The Reference & Online Resources Librarian is subject to an annual evaluation based upon the functions set forth above.
Note: The University reserves the right to change, reassign, or combine job duties and positions at any time.
The qualification standards of the Reference & Online Resources Librarian include, but are not limited to, the following:
- A Christian commitment and lifestyle that acknowledges a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and a personal commitment to the Christian purpose and mission of Bluefield University.
- Professional appearance and presentation in the working environment (including casual attire, particularly as pertains to information services and technology installation and infrastructure responsibilities).
This position is subject to at least an annual evaluation based upon the job duties, responsibilities, and functions as set forth above.
The job duties, responsibilities, functions, and requirements delineated above should not be interpreted as an all inclusive list of same. Additional duties, responsibilities, functions, and requirements may be assigned as deemed appropriate. The University reserves the right to change or reassign job duties, responsibilities, and functions, or combine positions at any time. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, it is possible that requirements may be modified to reasonably accommodate disabled individuals. However, no accommodations will be made which may pose serious health or safety risks to the employee or others or which impose undue hardships on the University. Position descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The University maintains its status as an at-will employer.
To apply for this position, please visit https://www.bluefield.edu/employment/ to complete the electronic faculty employment application and upload the following:
- Letter of interest
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of Christian Faith
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy
- Official Transcripts
- Three letters of reference
Please note the definition of “Original Transcripts”
Hard-copy transcripts and other academic records are considered “official” when they arrive in a sealed, stamped, official envelope with the seal and any other security feature intact. Electronic transcripts are considered “official” when we receive them from a secure site formally linked to the sending institution or testing service.
Academic records received in any other condition, such as transcripts that arrive in an unsealed envelope, or that are emailed or uploaded by the student, or that are printed from the university portal, are not considered “official.”
Official transcripts may be sent to:
Academic Affairs Office
3000 College Avenue
Bluefield, VA 24605
Hard copy application materials may be sent to Judy Pedneau, Director of Human Resources at Bluefield University, 3000 College Avenue, Bluefield, VA 24605, [email protected]
Additional information about Bluefield University is available at www.bluefield.edu.
To be considered for this position, all application requirements listed above must be completed.
Bluefield University is committed to supporting diversity and utilizing recruitment practices that do not illegally discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, disability, age, religion, genetic information, veteran or military status, or any other basis on which the University is prohibited from discrimination under local, state, or federal law, in its employment or in the provision of its services, including but not limited to its programs and activities, admissions, educational policies, scholarship and loan programs, and athletic and other University-administered programs. Supervisors are personally accountable for ensuring their recruiting and selection processes are in keeping with the university’s recruitment philosophy and are conducted in a fair, equitable, and nondiscriminatory manner..This institution encourages women, minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities to apply.