Under the direct supervision of the Associate Vice President of Student Development, the Director of Student Engagement will work with student leaders and organizations to direct all aspects of campus wide student activities, student leadership development. The Director will demonstrate the ability to work independently, as well as, collaboratively with team members, faculty, students, alumni, administrators and staff. A flexible work schedule will include days, evenings and some weekends.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES, RESPONSIBLITIES, AND FUNCTIONS
The essential duties, responsibilities, and functions of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Plan and administer campus-wide student activities.
- Oversees the Student Activities Leadership Team with planning/execution of events.
- Advise the Student Government Association as they provide leadership to the student body.
- Supervise student staff members in the performance of their duties.
- Catalyze the growth, visibility, and activity of student clubs and organizations.
- Develop and execute a best-in-class leadership development program.
- Ability to work a flex work schedule including nights and weekends as needed
- Track and monitor budget for assigned areas.
- Serve on College committees as needed.
- Complies with all rules, policies, and procedures as established by Bluefield College
- Regularly assess effectiveness through completion of an Institutional Effectiveness Annual Report
- Serve as primary administrator for the BC Mobile App
- Provide assistance and support for programs, services, activities, and events that advance the mission and goals of the Office of Student Development.
- Model caring relationships with students through personal interaction and as an effective role model of a Christian life.
- Actively integrate Christian faith into professional practice.
- All other duties as assigned by the Bice President of Admissions & Student Development
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATIONAL/EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor degree required.
- Previous experience in Christian higher education is desirable.
- Must be able to demonstrate excellent written and oral communication skills; Well-developed presentation skills; emotional intelligence and relational skills.
- Self motivated with superior customer service skills
- Facility with MS Office Suite and the Internet as a tool.
- Ability to quickly build positive rapport and develop relationships with students.
- Ability to provide leadership training and development to students.
- Ability and willingness to work a non-traditional schedule. .
- Physical Demands
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This position is not necessarily a physically demanding job and requires no specific physical demands other than those typical in a modern office environment. Normal responsibilities should not afford risks of accidental injury.
- Specialized Equipment Requirements
The use of specialized equipment listed here is representative of equipment an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This position requires no specialized equipment other than equipment typically used in a modern office environment, including personal computers, calculators, copiers, and fax machines.
- Working Conditions and Environment
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the duties, responsibilities, and functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the duties, responsibilities, and functions. This position has no specific working conditions; the work environment is typical to that of a small private residential institution of higher education, with physical remote site locations within 500 miles of the main campus in Bluefield, Virginia.
This position is subject to at least an annual evaluation based upon the job duties, responsibilities, and functions as set forth above.
The job duties, responsibilities, functions, and requirements delineated above should not be interpreted as an all-inclusive list of same. Additional duties, responsibilities, functions, and requirements may be assigned as deemed appropriate. The College reserves the right to change or reassign job duties, responsibilities, and functions, or combine positions at any time. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, it is possible that requirements may be modified to reasonably accommodate disabled individuals. However, no accommodations will be made which may pose serious health or safety risks to the employee or others or which impose undue hardships on the College. Position descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The College maintains its status as an at-will employer.
To apply for this position, please visit https://www.bluefield.edu/employment/ to complete the electronic staff employment application and upload the following:
- Letter of interest
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Names and full contact information for at least three professional references
- Statement of Christian Faith
Hard copy application materials may be sent to Judy Pedneau, Director of Human Resources at Bluefield College, 3000 College Avenue, Bluefield, VA 24605, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Additional information about Bluefield College is available at www.bluefield.edu.
To be considered for this position, all application requirements listed above must be completed.
Bluefield College is a Christ-centered, multicultural learning community that values and seeks faculty and staff who represent diverse backgrounds and perspectives, are committed to diversity, work effectively with diverse populations, and engage others in ways that honor our rich cultural mosaic and biblical foundation.
Bluefield College is a private, not-for-profit institution affiliated with the Baptist General Association of Virginia. Bluefield College shall not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, disability, age, religion, genetic information, veteran or military status, or any other basis on which the College is prohibited from discrimination under local, state, or federal law, in its employment or in the provision of its services, including but not limited to its programs and activities, admissions, educational policies, scholarship and loan programs, and athletic and other College-administered programs. This institution encourages women, minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities to apply.