The primary purpose of the Director of Athletics Business Operations is to oversee management of internal Athletics Department Business and Finance operations; develop and manage the Athletics Department budget to support institutional and Athletics mission and strategic goals; maintain strict adherence to National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA), College, and Athletics rules and regulations. Further, this position shall support and assist the Director of Athletics in the daily routine of the office.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES, RESPONSIBILITIES, AND FUNCTIONS
The Director of Athletics Business Operations is responsible for the following areas:
1 Finance Administration (30%):
- Oversees the development of financial planning, reporting, and business operations strategies for Bluefield College
- Approves, manages, and records all financial transactions both expenditure and revenue to the Athletic Department’s departmental operational accounts and departmental fundraising accounts.
- Oversees operations and provides regular reports to the Director of Athletics on sales/ticketing revenue goals and objectives.
- Manages financial agreements associated with Athletics Department.
- Liaises with Business and Finance units, to include: Controller’s Office and Business Office.
- Oversees the financial aid budget and processes for the athletic department to include, reporting, monitoring, and facilitation.
2 Business Administration (30%)
- Manages the day-to-day business activities of the Athletic Division
- Processes, verify and reconcile departmental business operations including: deposits, check requests, travel expense forms, purchase orders, and credit card statements.
- Coordinates the assignment and payment of game officials; works with staff, officials, vendors, and student workers in assisting with budget control of the department
- Coordinates team transportation, processes all departmental travel advances, invoices, trip reports, requisitions, and purchase orders for the above.
- Collect, compile, and assist with preparing data for the departmental budget
- Prepares appropriate budget reports
- Assists with post-season finances and arrangements.
- Arranges for printing and distribution of season complimentary passes, season tickets and individual games tickets, as well as all post-season ticketing.
- Manages the daily operations of the Athletic Division. Serves as a clearinghouse for all department-wide correspondence and communication; answers office phone, and greets visitors; answers routine correspondence and maintains relevant departmental files as necessary; orders office supplies; records department minutes; and hires and supervises student office assistant, work studies, and graduate assistants.
3 Budget Management (30%)
- Constructs and manages and budgets for departmental units
- Review budget proposals and prepare financial documents and reports
- Analyze financial information (e.g. revenues, expenditures and cash management) to ensure all operations are within budget
- Present annual budgets to senior managers
- Review budget requests for approval
- Forecast future budget needs
- Identify variances between actual and budgeted financial results at the end of each reporting period
4 Corporate Sponsorships and Partnerships (5%)
- Supports BC efforts to fulfill corporate sponsorship and partnership agreements in conjunction with the Vice President of Intercollegiate Athletics.
- Maintain positive vendor relationships and ensure all partnership/sponsorship assets are being activated and assurance that all parties are obtaining what was agreed upon.
- Collaborates with facility and event operations staff to ensure that BC corporate sponsorship and partnership activation goals and requirements are met and additionally assists to enhance BC game/event experiences and presentations.
- Alumni Engagement: Develop routine communications with coaches and athletics staff directed at alums. Cultivate further alumni engagement.
- Ensures appropriate clearance processes are in place to ensure quality control and provide excellent customer service to coaches and athletics leadership.
5 Other Duties (5%):
- Provides reports and documentation when required by the Vice President of Intercollegiate Athletics
- Possesses the ability to plan, organize, prioritize, and implement work, and be able to apply logic and creativity in order to solve problems and deal with mathematical and financial aspects.
- Possesses the ability to receive, process and provide visual and verbal information
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Handles confidential material with complete discretion and serves as liaison between the Director and Staff on policies and procedures related to business and personnel matters.
- Represents the Vice President of Director of Athletics on appropriate committees
- Complies with all rules, policies, and procedures as established by Bluefield College.
- Works cooperatively with others and accepts direction from supervisors
- Performs other duties as assigned.
SUPERVISORY DUTIES, RESPONSIBILITIES, AND FUNCTIONS
This position directly supervises any assistant, volunteers, graduate assistants and student workers who are assigned to the administrative unit of the athletic department, and carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the College’s policies and applicable laws. Supervisory duties, responsibilities, and functions include interviewing, hiring, training and mentoring employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints; and resolving problems.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE
Individual must possess the knowledge, skills, and ability to demonstrate, explain, and perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodations, using some combination of the following skills and abilities:
- Must be able to support the Mission Statement, purpose, and goals of the College, and express a personal Christian commitment.
- The Director of Athletics Business Operations must possess a minimum of a B.S. /B.A. degree in Business Management, Accounting, Sport Management or related field of study.
- The Director of Athletics Business Operations has a preferred knowledge of JUCCO, NAIA, or NCAA compliance regulations
- The Director of Athletics Business Operations must possess a minimum of three to five years overseeing budgets and office management.
- The Director of Athletics Business Operations must possess sufficient manual dexterity to be able to operate all office equipment including but not limited to: modems, scanners, copy machines, typewriters, computers and faxes
- The Director of Athletic Business Operations must have proficiency in Microsoft office with increased experience working in Excel.
- Physical Demands
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This position may require frequent standing, walking, stooping, bending, kneeling, pulling, pushing, lifting, carrying.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms, climb stairs; talk or hear. The employee must also possess the ability to occasionally lift, carry, and/or drag approximately 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include ability to distinguish the nature of objects by using the eye. The operation of vehicles and the transportation of athletes are duties that are required at various times. Tasks such as working at a computer which involves extensive wrist and hand movements are also required.
- Specialized Equipment Requirements
The use of specialized equipment listed here is representative of equipment an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job. Specialized equipment would be equipment typically found in modern athletic facilities.
- Working Conditions and Environment
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the duties, responsibilities, and functions of this job. Supervisors are responsible for maintaining an environment that is free from discrimination, intimidation, coercion or harassment, including sexual or gender harassment. Work is performed indoors and/or outdoors. The noise level is usually low to moderate. While performing the duties of this position, the employee may be required to travel.
This position is subject to at least an annual evaluation based upon the job duties, responsibilities, and functions as set forth above.
The job duties, responsibilities, functions, and requirements delineated above should not be interpreted as an all-inclusive list of same. Additional duties, responsibilities, functions, and requirements may be assigned as deemed appropriate. The College reserves the right to change or reassign job duties, responsibilities, and functions, or combine positions at any time. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, it is possible that requirements may be modified to reasonably accommodate disabled individuals. However, no accommodations will be made which may pose serious health or safety risks to the employee or others or which impose undue hardships on the College. Position descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The College maintains its status as an at-will employer.
To apply for this position, please visit https://www.bluefield.edu/employment/ to complete the electronic staff employment application and upload the following:
- Letter of interest
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Names and full contact information for at least three professional references
- Statement of Christian Faith
Hard copy application materials may be sent to Judy Pedneau, Director of Human Resources at Bluefield College, 3000 College Avenue, Bluefield, VA 24605, email@example.com.
Additional information about Bluefield College is available at www.bluefield.edu.
To be considered for this position, all application requirements listed above must be completed.
Bluefield College is a Christ-centered, multicultural learning community that values and seeks faculty and staff who represent diverse backgrounds and perspectives, are committed to diversity, work effectively with diverse populations, and engage others in ways that honor our rich cultural mosaic and biblical foundation.
Bluefield College is a private, not-for-profit institution affiliated with the Baptist General Association of Virginia. Bluefield College shall not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, disability, age, religion, genetic information, veteran or military status, or any other basis on which the College is prohibited from discrimination under local, state, or federal law, in its employment or in the provision of its services, including but not limited to its programs and activities, admissions, educational policies, scholarship and loan programs, and athletic and other College-administered programs. This institution encourages women, minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities to apply.