Bluefield University in the News


by | May 5, 2011

Bluefield College will present an art exhibit featuring the watercolors of regional artist Aili Wang, May 9-August 2.

The exhibit, open and free to the public, will show in BC’s Art Gallery on the first floor of Lansdell Hall, Monday through Saturday, May 9-August 2, from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. each day.

Wang is a graduate of Radford University, where she earned a master’s degree in fine arts, concentrating in watercolor landscape painting. She received her bachelor’s degree in art from Yangzhou University in China.

“Her watercolors are filled with vibrant colors and the textures of nature,” said Walter Shroyer, head of the BC Art Department. “As a landscape painter, her work is about the vivacious colors and the relationship between familiar forms and nature.”

Enamored and inspired by the beautiful water scenery of the New River Valley while a student at Radford, Wang’s watercolors feature brilliant colors and familiar forms of nature. Her work has earned a variety of awards and has been accepted into many art competitions and exhibits, including the 2010 Virginia Watercolor Society Exhibition.

“The process of landscape painting is an exciting moment of contemplative and spiritual understanding,” said Wang, “one in which I wish the viewers to see what I see and feel what I feel — the celebration of a magical world.”

Wang is a member of the Virginia Watercolor Society and has also worked as an instructor of art in China. Her Bluefield College exhibit, May 9-August 2, is her third solo exhibition in the past year.

Bluefield University

[email protected]276.326.4212

Do I only apply once?

  • No. Students must apply each academic year for the fall semester and submit the necessary documents.

Do I have to take the classes specified in the Associate's Degree tracks as they are listed on the information sheet?

  • No. Students may take any of the courses that are offered in a given term.

Where do I find the textbook listing, and where do I purchase the books?

  • Log in to myBU, and under the "Student" tab, you will find a list of the textbooks required (if any) for each course. Students are responsible for purchasing their own textbooks.

How long is a semester?

  • Our semesters are divided into two 8-week terms.

Is there an orientation?

  • Yes. Students can attend an orientation session that explains how to access courses, how to register for classes, and answers other questions.

Where can I find a course description?

Does the student need to take the SAT or ACT in order to take Dual Enrollment classes?

  • No. If a student decides to study at BU full time, BU is currently test-optional for the 2021-2022 admissions cycle.

Are the classes live? Do students need to log in and participate at certain times?

  • Classes are offered online, so a student can log-on and study at their convenience and their own pace. Students have assignments due each week; you can complete your assignments at any point in time before the deadline.

Does an Early College student need to come to campus for anything?

  • No. However, we would love to have you visit our campus if you are interested in continuing with traditional on-campus study. Students who complete their associate's degree have the option to walk at our commencement ceremony.

Are Early College students able to receive Financial Aid?

  • No. However, Early College courses are very affordable compared to other options. The cost for an online Dual Enrollment course is $100 per credit hour.

How do transferring credits work?

  • Each College or University completes a transcript review in order to decide which courses transfer. Sticking to general education classes generally makes transferring credits simple. All Early College courses at Bluefield University are general education classes that should transfer to another accredited institution.

Is an Early College student considered, and treated, as a transfer student when they become a full-time college student if they have earned enough credits to be a Junior?

  • No. Since they have not graduated from high school, they are considered a first-time college student regardless of how many credits transfer. However, by transferring credits when they enroll as a full-time student, they will have to take fewer classes to receive their bachelor's degree, which shortens the length of time to earn the degree.

Can I speak to someone if I have more questions?

  • Yes. Please contact the Office of Admissions by email or you can call them at 276.326.4231


Meet our core Counseling faculty

Dr. Challen Mabry

Assistant Professor of Counseling

Dr. Jenna Fitzgerald

Assistant Professor of Counseling

Dr. Kristen Raymond

Assistant Professor of Counseling

Our team is here for you! How can we help?

This form requires credentials in order to request information.