Bluefield University in the News


by | Jan 24, 2018

Bluefield College students taking advantage of the school’s Academic Center for Excellence are doing so with a bit more comfort and ease these days, thanks to a grant from the Community Foundation of the Virginias to purchase new outdoor furniture.

Bluefield College students taking advantage of the school’s Academic Center for Excellence are doing so with a bit more comfort and ease these days, thanks to a grant from the Community Foundation of the Virginias to purchase new outdoor furniture.

Designed to provide resources and services that promote a culture of academic success among all Bluefield College students, the BC Academic Center for Excellence (ACE) is equipped with tutoring, testing and other academic amenities that help foster the skills, strategies, habits, and character necessary for students to succeed in the classroom. The services and facilities on site include tutoring, testing services, math and writing labs, academic coaching, and disability services. And now, thanks to the grant from the Community Foundation of the Virginias, whether studying or just hanging out with friends, the students are enjoying ACE’s new outdoor furniture.

“Back when Rish Hall was completed in September of 1960, I’m sure the architect thought that lower level portico would be the perfect place for students to study, for parents to enjoy the view when they visit, and for anyone to enjoy a moment of solitude,” said Wayne Pelts, assistant director of the Academic Center for Excellence. “Fifty-seven years later, this is becoming a reality.”

Students enjoy ACE's new outdoor furniture.
Students enjoy ACE’s new outdoor furniture.

Even students in a Regional and Ethnic Literature course have been able to use the furniture outside for a class session, said senior Laura Kincer. She said that the best time to use the area is during the middle of the day and preferably when it’s warm outside.

“These tables and chairs provide more space for the ACE to provide services to students,” added senior Matthew Owen. “Mentoring and tutoring can be very productive at these locations, especially since the ACE can get very busy some days.”

Owen said that students can utilize the outside areas with the new furniture to work on a project or assignment. With the new tables and chairs outside, he added, the atmosphere can be a very calming place to focus on those more difficult tasks.

“Whenever BC admissions reps take prospective students and their families on a campus tour, this area is one where they stop to highlight characteristics about the two Bluefields that make it such a great place,” said Pelts. “This is ‘the place’ where Mud Pig Day begins and where sleigh riding brings great delight for students and the community.”

Pelts said that he is very thankful for the Community Foundation of the Virginias for providing the funds to purchase the quality furniture for outside. Founded in 2002, the Community Foundation of the Virginias strives to meet the needs of communities in Mercer County, West Virginia, Tazewell County, Virginia, and surrounding areas. The foundation promotes philanthropy by charitable giving and serving the interests of its donors. Matching the generosity of the people of the area, the foundation awards scholarships and grants in the areas of education; arts, culture and the humanities; health; and human services.

Bluefield University

[email protected]276.326.4212

Do I only apply once?

  • No. Students must apply each academic year for the fall semester and submit the necessary documents.

Do I have to take the classes specified in the Associate's Degree tracks as they are listed on the information sheet?

  • No. Students may take any of the courses that are offered in a given term.

Where do I find the textbook listing, and where do I purchase the books?

  • Log in to myBU, and under the "Student" tab, you will find a list of the textbooks required (if any) for each course. Students are responsible for purchasing their own textbooks.

How long is a semester?

  • Our semesters are divided into two 8-week terms.

Is there an orientation?

  • Yes. Students can attend an orientation session that explains how to access courses, how to register for classes, and answers other questions.

Where can I find a course description?

Does the student need to take the SAT or ACT in order to take Dual Enrollment classes?

  • No. If a student decides to study at BU full time, BU is currently test-optional for the 2021-2022 admissions cycle.

Are the classes live? Do students need to log in and participate at certain times?

  • Classes are offered online, so a student can log-on and study at their convenience and their own pace. Students have assignments due each week; you can complete your assignments at any point in time before the deadline.

Does an Early College student need to come to campus for anything?

  • No. However, we would love to have you visit our campus if you are interested in continuing with traditional on-campus study. Students who complete their associate's degree have the option to walk at our commencement ceremony.

Are Early College students able to receive Financial Aid?

  • No. However, Early College courses are very affordable compared to other options. The cost for an online Dual Enrollment course is $100 per credit hour.

How do transferring credits work?

  • Each College or University completes a transcript review in order to decide which courses transfer. Sticking to general education classes generally makes transferring credits simple. All Early College courses at Bluefield University are general education classes that should transfer to another accredited institution.

Is an Early College student considered, and treated, as a transfer student when they become a full-time college student if they have earned enough credits to be a Junior?

  • No. Since they have not graduated from high school, they are considered a first-time college student regardless of how many credits transfer. However, by transferring credits when they enroll as a full-time student, they will have to take fewer classes to receive their bachelor's degree, which shortens the length of time to earn the degree.

Can I speak to someone if I have more questions?

  • Yes. Please contact the Office of Admissions by email or you can call them at 276.326.4231


Meet our core Counseling faculty

Dr. Challen Mabry

Assistant Professor of Counseling

Dr. Kristen Moran

Associate Professor of Counseling

Brandy Smith

Assistant Professor of Education & Counseling,
Director of the Master of Arts in Counseling Program,
Title IX Confidential Counselor

Our team is here for you! How can we help?

This form requires credentials in order to request information.