Bluefield University in the News


by | Oct 27, 2011

The Bluefield College Department of Music will host a Fall Instrumental Music Concert, Thursday, November 10 at 7:30 p.m. in Harman Chapel, featuring the school's Concert Band, Community Orchestra, and Jazz Ensemble.

Under the direction of Dr. Charles Priest, assistant professor of music, the Concert Band is best known for its traditional concert performances on-campus and in the community. For the November 10 event, the Concert Band will perform James Swearingen’s “Blue Ridge Saga” and “Invicta” and a hymn-song by Phillip Bliss, “When Peace Like a River.” The Concert Band will also play “How to Train Your Dragon,” “Victory at Sea,” and a variety of folk songs from the southern Appalachians.

The Community Orchestra, an auditioned group of both campus and community voices that performs works from standard orchestral literature, will present Mozart’s “Symphony No.25” from the movie “Amadeus” and Ralph Vaughan Williams’ “English Folksong Suite.” The Orchestra, under the direction of Priest, also will perform music from “The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian.”

The Jazz Ensemble, under the direction of Dr. Andy Necessary, will provide a post-concert performance in the more casual setting of BC’s Quick Shott Café Coffeehouse, located in Shott Hall. Selections for the Jazz Band will include “Killer Joe,” “My Funny Valentine,” “Bernie’s Tune,” and “Amazing Grace.” The Jazz Band is an auditioned ensemble that performs jazz literature jazz and blues improvisation, as well as standards throughout the history of jazz.

The Fall Instrumental Music Concert is open and free to the public. For more information, please call 276-326-4212, or email [email protected]

Bluefield University

[email protected]276.326.4212

Do I only apply once?

  • No. Students must apply each academic year for the fall semester and submit the necessary documents.

Do I have to take the classes specified in the Associate's Degree tracks as they are listed on the information sheet?

  • No. Students may take any of the courses that are offered in a given term.

Where do I find the textbook listing, and where do I purchase the books?

  • Log in to myBU, and under the "Student" tab, you will find a list of the textbooks required (if any) for each course. Students are responsible for purchasing their own textbooks.

How long is a semester?

  • Our semesters are divided into two 8-week terms.

Is there an orientation?

  • Yes. Students can attend an orientation session that explains how to access courses, how to register for classes, and answers other questions.

Where can I find a course description?

Does the student need to take the SAT or ACT in order to take Dual Enrollment classes?

  • No. If a student decides to study at BU full time, BU is currently test-optional for the 2021-2022 admissions cycle.

Are the classes live? Do students need to log in and participate at certain times?

  • Classes are offered online, so a student can log-on and study at their convenience and their own pace. Students have assignments due each week; you can complete your assignments at any point in time before the deadline.

Does an Early College student need to come to campus for anything?

  • No. However, we would love to have you visit our campus if you are interested in continuing with traditional on-campus study. Students who complete their associate's degree have the option to walk at our commencement ceremony.

Are Early College students able to receive Financial Aid?

  • No. However, Early College courses are very affordable compared to other options. The cost for an online Dual Enrollment course is $100 per credit hour.

How do transferring credits work?

  • Each College or University completes a transcript review in order to decide which courses transfer. Sticking to general education classes generally makes transferring credits simple. All Early College courses at Bluefield University are general education classes that should transfer to another accredited institution.

Is an Early College student considered, and treated, as a transfer student when they become a full-time college student if they have earned enough credits to be a Junior?

  • No. Since they have not graduated from high school, they are considered a first-time college student regardless of how many credits transfer. However, by transferring credits when they enroll as a full-time student, they will have to take fewer classes to receive their bachelor's degree, which shortens the length of time to earn the degree.

Can I speak to someone if I have more questions?

  • Yes. Please contact the Office of Admissions by email or you can call them at 276.326.4231


Meet our core Counseling faculty

Dr. Challen Mabry

Assistant Professor of Counseling

Dr. Jenna Fitzgerald

Assistant Professor of Counseling

Dr. Kristen Raymond

Assistant Professor of Counseling

Our team is here for you! How can we help?

This form requires credentials in order to request information.