Helping our students Go Further!
|Commonwealth Connection Scholarship (50%)||–||$13,938|
|Virginia Tuition Assistance Grant (VTAG)||–||$4,500|
Commonwealth Connection Scholarship
Helping Students Go Further
Our best tuition plan for students from the communities we were founded to serve 100 years ago. Students who qualify will pay a significantly reduced tuition rate. Bluefield University established this affordable tuition rate to ensure local families have access to the many wonderful features of our Christ-centered learning community. All Virginia residents qualify for this special tuition as well as local West Virginia residents in the following counties:
- Virginia (VA)
- All Counties
- West Virginia (WV)
- McDowell, Mercer, Monroe, Raleigh, Summers, & Wyoming
Students who receive the Commonwealth Connection Scholarship are encouraged to obtain outside scholarships, grants, and loans to assist with the costs associated with pursuing their education.
- The student’s legal home address must be with their parents or legal guardian, and they must reside in the Commonwealth of Virginia or in one of the following West Virginia counties: McDowell, Mercer, Monroe, Raleigh, Summers, or Wyoming.
- Must have at least a 2.75-grade point average to initially qualify.
- A student must provide documentation for financial aid verification upon request. If verification is not completed prior to the semester deadline, the student will not be able to participate in this program for that semester.
- Upon request, a student must provide documentation in order to assist staff with validating residency requirements.
- A student must be enrolled full-time in a minimum of 12 credit hours per semester and remain a full-time student.
Additional Information & Guidelines
- If a student no longer meets the eligibility requirements, they will pay the standard tuition rates for that academic year. At that point, the student will also be eligible to receive institutional aid to assist with offsetting the cost increase.
- While a student participating in Commonwealth Connection does not qualify to receive any institutional aid, there are no restrictions regarding outside scholarships or funding.
- Additional fees which a student in Commonwealth Connection would be responsible for include private music lessons, lab fees, and graduation fees, as well as any other fees listed for specific courses. Room and board charges may apply if a student selects to live on campus.
- All students—new, transfer, and returning students—may choose to apply for acceptance in Commonwealth Connection if they meet the eligibility requirements.
* Our lowest tuition rate requires the Virginia Tuition Assistance Grant (VTAG) award. This award is available to Virginia residents. You apply directly for the grant using a special application before 7/31. After completing your application, it should be submitted to BU’s office of financial aid in Bluefield Central for processing.