Pathways Tuition

The Pathways Initiative for Local Students

In addition to our traditional tuition, Bluefield University also offers the Pathways tuition plan.

Bluefield University initiated Pathways to meet the national call of delivering a quality education that is affordable and accessible to those who live locally.

Students who qualify and choose to participate in Pathways for the academic year will pay a reduced tuition rate. Full-time enrollment is required to participate in this program. Students who are approved and choose to take credit hours beyond 18 will be charged the per credit hour rate for each credit hour over 18.

Students who participate in Pathways are not eligible to receive institutional financial aid; however, they are able to obtain outside scholarships, grants, and loans to assist with the costs associated with pursuing their education. Students will need to review their options to determine if commuting and participating in Pathways is the best option for them or if it will be in their best interest to utilize institutional aid and reside on campus. Our generous financial assistance for students makes Bluefield University the clear choice for Christian private higher education. Upon completing an application, the financial aid office will conduct a review to determine if it is in the student’s best interest to utilize institutional aid or participate in the pathways program.

Eligibility Requirements

  • Student must live in a school district within a 45-mile radius of campus in one of the following Virginia and West Virginia counties: (VA) Bland, Buchanan, Carroll, Floyd, Giles, Grayson, Montgomery, Pulaski, Russell, Smyth, Tazewell, Washington, and Wythe; (WV) McDowell, Mercer, Monroe, Raleigh, Summers, and Wyoming.
  • The student’s legal home address must be with parents or legal guardian, and they must reside at that home to qualify. Students in this program do have the option to live on campus. Students must complete the housing application for this option and notify financial aid as it will increase their charges.
  • A student participating in this program must be Pell grant eligible as determined by their FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).
  • A student must provide documentation for financial aid verification upon request. If verification is not completed prior to the semester deadline, the student will not be able to participate in this program for that semester.
  • Upon request, a student must provide documentation in order to assist staff with validating residency requirements.
  • A student must be enrolled full-time in a minimum of 12 credit hours per semester and remain a full-time student.

Additional Information & Guidelines

  • A student participating in Pathways will be required to submit a new application to the Bluefield University Office of Admissions each academic year by the deadline provided. Applications received after the deadline will not be considered for the applicable semester.
  • If a student no longer meets the eligibility requirements, they will pay the standard tuition rates for that academic year. At that point, the student will also be eligible to receive institutional aid to assist with offsetting the cost increase.
  • While a student participating in Pathways does not qualify to receive any institutional aid, there are no restrictions regarding outside scholarships or funding.
  • Additional fees which a student in Pathways would be responsible for include private music lessons, lab fees, and graduation fees, as well as any other fees listed for specific courses. Room and board charges may apply if a student selects to live on campus.
  • All students—new, transfer, and returning students—may choose to apply for acceptance in Pathways if they meet the eligibility requirements.

The Pathways and Pathways Renewal Applications may be found by logging into your myBU account.

Do I only apply once?

  • No. Students must apply each academic year for the fall semester and submit the necessary documents.

Do I have to take the classes specified in the Associate's Degree tracks as they are listed on the information sheet?

  • No. Students may take any of the courses that are offered in a given term.

Where do I find the textbook listing, and where do I purchase the books?

  • Log in to myBU, and under the "Student" tab, you will find a list of the textbooks required (if any) for each course. Students are responsible for purchasing their own textbooks.

How long is a semester?

  • Our semesters are divided into two 8-week terms.

Is there an orientation?

  • Yes. Students can attend an orientation session that explains how to access courses, how to register for classes, and answers other questions.

Where can I find a course description?

Does the student need to take the SAT or ACT in order to take Dual Enrollment classes?

  • No. If a student decides to study at BU full time, BU is currently test-optional for the 2021-2022 admissions cycle.

Are the classes live? Do students need to log in and participate at certain times?

  • Classes are offered online, so a student can log-on and study at their convenience and their own pace. Students have assignments due each week; you can complete your assignments at any point in time before the deadline.

Does an Early College student need to come to campus for anything?

  • No. However, we would love to have you visit our campus if you are interested in continuing with traditional on-campus study. Students who complete their associate's degree have the option to walk at our commencement ceremony.

Are Early College students able to receive Financial Aid?

  • No. However, Early College courses are very affordable compared to other options. The cost for an online Dual Enrollment course is $100 per credit hour.

How do transferring credits work?

  • Each College or University completes a transcript review in order to decide which courses transfer. Sticking to general education classes generally makes transferring credits simple. All Early College courses at Bluefield University are general education classes that should transfer to another accredited institution.

Is an Early College student considered, and treated, as a transfer student when they become a full-time college student if they have earned enough credits to be a Junior?

  • No. Since they have not graduated from high school, they are considered a first-time college student regardless of how many credits transfer. However, by transferring credits when they enroll as a full-time student, they will have to take fewer classes to receive their bachelor's degree, which shortens the length of time to earn the degree.

Can I speak to someone if I have more questions?

  • Yes. Please contact the Office of Admissions by email or you can call them at 276.326.4231