Bluefield University in the News


by | Feb 15, 2012

Bluefield College is searching for an official fight song, and you can be the author.

As the school introduces its first intercollegiate football team since 1941 this fall, it will also introduce a new fight song to cheer on the Rams – one to be written by a student, alumnus or some other lucky fan.

To find just the right fight song to support the new football squad and all other Ram sports teams, BC officials have launched an “Official Fight Song Search,” a contest calling for musical submissions from all Ram fans.

“We’re searching for an official fight song as we celebrate the return of football in the fall of 2012,” said Dr. Charles Priest, director of instrumental studies. “This contest is open to students, alumni and friends of Bluefield College.

The contest will run February 15, 2012 through April 13, 2012, and the winner will receive a $250 cash prize and recognition at the first BC home football game of the 2012 season.

“This is an exciting time in the life of our college,” added Dr. Priest. “The Music Department is seeing record growth and dreaming for the future. A stadium band will be in place for the first home football game this fall, but the ultimate goal is the development of a marching band for Bluefield College.”

Current Bluefield College students, alumni, and members of the community at-large may participate in the “Official Fight Song Search.” All submissions must be printed and submitted no later than 5 p.m. on April 13, 2012 to Nikki Childress in the BC Office of Academic Affairs on the first floor of Lansdell Hall. No electronic submissions and no late entries will be accepted.

Fight song submissions may include both words and music or words to an existing fight song from another team (i.e. West Coast schools, professional teams, etc.). All works will be reviewed anonymously by a committee selected by Bluefield College. The college reserves the right to alter the final musical arrangement to suit artistic and academic needs.

The winner of Bluefield College’s “Official Fight Song Search” will be notified no later than May 15, 2012. For a complete listing of rules, download the official rules document. Additional questions about the search process should be directed to Dr. Priest by e-mail at [email protected]

Bluefield University

[email protected]276.326.4212

Do I only apply once?

  • No. Students must apply each academic year for the fall semester and submit the necessary documents.

Do I have to take the classes specified in the Associate's Degree tracks as they are listed on the information sheet?

  • No. Students may take any of the courses that are offered in a given term.

Where do I find the textbook listing, and where do I purchase the books?

  • Log in to myBU, and under the "Student" tab, you will find a list of the textbooks required (if any) for each course. Students are responsible for purchasing their own textbooks.

How long is a semester?

  • Our semesters are divided into two 8-week terms.

Is there an orientation?

  • Yes. Students can attend an orientation session that explains how to access courses, how to register for classes, and answers other questions.

Where can I find a course description?

Does the student need to take the SAT or ACT in order to take Dual Enrollment classes?

  • No. If a student decides to study at BU full time, BU is currently test-optional for the 2021-2022 admissions cycle.

Are the classes live? Do students need to log in and participate at certain times?

  • Classes are offered online, so a student can log-on and study at their convenience and their own pace. Students have assignments due each week; you can complete your assignments at any point in time before the deadline.

Does an Early College student need to come to campus for anything?

  • No. However, we would love to have you visit our campus if you are interested in continuing with traditional on-campus study. Students who complete their associate's degree have the option to walk at our commencement ceremony.

Are Early College students able to receive Financial Aid?

  • No. However, Early College courses are very affordable compared to other options. The cost for an online Dual Enrollment course is $100 per credit hour.

How do transferring credits work?

  • Each College or University completes a transcript review in order to decide which courses transfer. Sticking to general education classes generally makes transferring credits simple. All Early College courses at Bluefield University are general education classes that should transfer to another accredited institution.

Is an Early College student considered, and treated, as a transfer student when they become a full-time college student if they have earned enough credits to be a Junior?

  • No. Since they have not graduated from high school, they are considered a first-time college student regardless of how many credits transfer. However, by transferring credits when they enroll as a full-time student, they will have to take fewer classes to receive their bachelor's degree, which shortens the length of time to earn the degree.

Can I speak to someone if I have more questions?

  • Yes. Please contact the Office of Admissions by email or you can call them at 276.326.4231


Meet our core Counseling faculty

Dr. Challen Mabry

Assistant Professor of Counseling

Dr. Kristen Moran

Associate Professor of Counseling

Brandy Smith

Assistant Professor of Education & Counseling,
Director of the Master of Arts in Counseling Program,
Title IX Confidential Counselor

Our team is here for you! How can we help?

This form requires credentials in order to request information.