Bluefield University in the News


by | Apr 11, 2017

The Bluefield College Department of Music will present its traditional Spring Choral Concert, Saturday, April 22 at 7:30 p.m. in Harman Chapel, featuring the school’s select student voice ensemble Variations and its college-community chorus Masterworks Chorale.

Open and free to the community, the Spring Choral Concert is titled “Bluefield Choirs Go to the Movies” and will include musical selections from Vivaldi, Orff, Arlen and Mancini to Disney’s Frozen and Sondheim’s “Into the Woods.”

“Think of all the movies, all the songs, all the performances of works by classical and popular composers, and that’s the idea behind our spring concert,” said Dr. John Moir, assistant professor of music and director of Bluefield College’s vocal ensembles. “Songs that are sacred, profane, silly and savage will be on the program.”

BC’s Variations is a select chorus that performs a variety of challenging choral literature. In addition to on campus concerts, the group tours and performs annually for churches, schools and conferences throughout Virginia. In fact, Variations has performed at Avery Fisher Hall, The Lincoln Center, and Carnegie Hall in New York City, as well as on music mission trips abroad.

Masterworks Chorale — a voice ensemble comprised of Bluefield College students, faculty and staff, as well as singers from the community — performs large-scale classical works and selections from the sacred and secular choral repertoire.

Bluefield University

[email protected]276.326.4212

Do I only apply once?

  • No. Students must apply each academic year for the fall semester and submit the necessary documents.

Do I have to take the classes specified in the Associate's Degree tracks as they are listed on the information sheet?

  • No. Students may take any of the courses that are offered in a given term.

Where do I find the textbook listing, and where do I purchase the books?

  • Log in to myBU, and under the "Student" tab, you will find a list of the textbooks required (if any) for each course. Students are responsible for purchasing their own textbooks.

How long is a semester?

  • Our semesters are divided into two 8-week terms.

Is there an orientation?

  • Yes. Students can attend an orientation session that explains how to access courses, how to register for classes, and answers other questions.

Where can I find a course description?

Does the student need to take the SAT or ACT in order to take Dual Enrollment classes?

  • No. If a student decides to study at BU full time, BU is currently test-optional for the 2021-2022 admissions cycle.

Are the classes live? Do students need to log in and participate at certain times?

  • Classes are offered online, so a student can log-on and study at their convenience and their own pace. Students have assignments due each week; you can complete your assignments at any point in time before the deadline.

Does an Early College student need to come to campus for anything?

  • No. However, we would love to have you visit our campus if you are interested in continuing with traditional on-campus study. Students who complete their associate's degree have the option to walk at our commencement ceremony.

Are Early College students able to receive Financial Aid?

  • No. However, Early College courses are very affordable compared to other options. The cost for an online Dual Enrollment course is $100 per credit hour.

How do transferring credits work?

  • Each College or University completes a transcript review in order to decide which courses transfer. Sticking to general education classes generally makes transferring credits simple. All Early College courses at Bluefield University are general education classes that should transfer to another accredited institution.

Is an Early College student considered, and treated, as a transfer student when they become a full-time college student if they have earned enough credits to be a Junior?

  • No. Since they have not graduated from high school, they are considered a first-time college student regardless of how many credits transfer. However, by transferring credits when they enroll as a full-time student, they will have to take fewer classes to receive their bachelor's degree, which shortens the length of time to earn the degree.

Can I speak to someone if I have more questions?

  • Yes. Please contact the Office of Admissions by email or you can call them at 276.326.4231


Meet our core Counseling faculty

Dr. Challen Mabry

Assistant Professor of Counseling

Dr. Jenna Fitzgerald

Assistant Professor of Counseling

Dr. Kristen Raymond

Assistant Professor of Counseling

Our team is here for you! How can we help?

This form requires credentials in order to request information.