Bluefield University in the News


by | Mar 11, 2011

Community invited to use facility for social and recreational events.

The Town of Pocahontas is getting a community center.

Bluefield College, who now operates the former Pocahontas High School facility, recently announced the opening of the onetime educational building to the community for social and recreational events.

BC took control of the former PHS campus in June of 2010 after the Tazewell County Industrial Development Authority (IDA) generously offered the facility to the college to expand its academic and athletic programs.

But, in addition to developing its own educational and recreational plans to serve Pocahontas and surrounding communities, the college wanted the town’s residents to benefit by having the facility available for their own programs and activities.

“We want to see the building full of life again with people, both young and old, enjoying the facilities,” said BC’s Ruth Blankenship, vice president for advancement. “We encourage individuals to use the facilities for youth events, recreational activities, family gatherings, reunions, parties, and other community functions.”

In fact, Pocahontas resident Amy Short has been hired by the college to serve as facilities coordinator. Local residents who wish to use the gymnasium, football field, classrooms, or other areas in the building are encouraged to contact Short by phone at 276-945-5874 to reserve the space.

Gary Short, another Pocahontas resident, is serving as facilities manager for the BC Pocahontas Community Center, maintaining the grounds and structure and tending to other custodial duties.

“Our goal is to provide economic development and community building opportunities through this facility for the Town of Pocahontas,” said Blankenship.

In June 2010, shortly after announcing the return of intercollegiate football to Bluefield College after nearly 70 years of absence, BC leaders announced plans to use the former Pocahontas High School for football practice and training, thanks to the generosity of the Tazewell County IDA. Specifically, BC will use the PHS football field, locker rooms, and other space for practice, training, and equipment storage.

The facilities also will enable the college to explore the addition of other future sports, including field hockey, lacrosse, wrestling, and track and field. In addition, through the use of PHS facilities the college will explore further development of its instrumental music program. Created in the fall of 2008 in order to give students an opportunity to study and participate in instrumental music at the collegiate level, the new instrumental music program already includes a jazz band, concert ensemble, community orchestra, and instrumental music education curriculum for students. Now, with the onset of BC football, the next natural instrumental music component will be a marching band.

“On behalf of the Tazewell County Board of Supervisors, Industrial Development Authority and Recreational Authority, we would like to thank Bluefield College for their interest in the Pocahontas community,” said county administrator Jim Spencer when the IDA announced its partnership with BC in June 2010. “Bluefield College is a great partner to Tazewell County.”

Pocahontas residents, Blankenship added, are encouraged to explore ideas for use of the building, as well.

“The college welcomes individuals, small business proprietors, restaurant owners, and organizations associated with the Spearhead ATV Trails to join us in strengthening the economy of this community,” Blankenship said. “Our expansions will generate additional revenue for the college, but more importantly will support the revitalization and economic development efforts of the Pocahontas community. This would not have been possible without the generosity of the Tazewell County IDA.”

Bluefield University

[email protected]276.326.4212

Do I only apply once?

  • No. Students must apply each academic year for the fall semester and submit the necessary documents.

Do I have to take the classes specified in the Associate's Degree tracks as they are listed on the information sheet?

  • No. Students may take any of the courses that are offered in a given term.

Where do I find the textbook listing, and where do I purchase the books?

  • Log in to myBU, and under the "Student" tab, you will find a list of the textbooks required (if any) for each course. Students are responsible for purchasing their own textbooks.

How long is a semester?

  • Our semesters are divided into two 8-week terms.

Is there an orientation?

  • Yes. Students can attend an orientation session that explains how to access courses, how to register for classes, and answers other questions.

Where can I find a course description?

Does the student need to take the SAT or ACT in order to take Dual Enrollment classes?

  • No. If a student decides to study at BU full time, BU is currently test-optional for the 2021-2022 admissions cycle.

Are the classes live? Do students need to log in and participate at certain times?

  • Classes are offered online, so a student can log-on and study at their convenience and their own pace. Students have assignments due each week; you can complete your assignments at any point in time before the deadline.

Does an Early College student need to come to campus for anything?

  • No. However, we would love to have you visit our campus if you are interested in continuing with traditional on-campus study. Students who complete their associate's degree have the option to walk at our commencement ceremony.

Are Early College students able to receive Financial Aid?

  • No. However, Early College courses are very affordable compared to other options. The cost for an online Dual Enrollment course is $100 per credit hour.

How do transferring credits work?

  • Each College or University completes a transcript review in order to decide which courses transfer. Sticking to general education classes generally makes transferring credits simple. All Early College courses at Bluefield University are general education classes that should transfer to another accredited institution.

Is an Early College student considered, and treated, as a transfer student when they become a full-time college student if they have earned enough credits to be a Junior?

  • No. Since they have not graduated from high school, they are considered a first-time college student regardless of how many credits transfer. However, by transferring credits when they enroll as a full-time student, they will have to take fewer classes to receive their bachelor's degree, which shortens the length of time to earn the degree.

Can I speak to someone if I have more questions?

  • Yes. Please contact the Office of Admissions by email or you can call them at 276.326.4231


Meet our core Counseling faculty

Dr. Challen Mabry

Assistant Professor of Counseling

Dr. Jenna Fitzgerald

Assistant Professor of Counseling

Dr. Kristen Raymond

Assistant Professor of Counseling

Our team is here for you! How can we help?

This form requires credentials in order to request information.