Bluefield University in the News


by | Jan 14, 2011

Bluefield College will launch the first classes in its Rural Healthcare Education Program (RHEP) in Grundy, Virginia, this spring, and the school will celebrate the new program start with a reception and information session, Tuesday, January 25 inside Grundy╒s Booth Center.

Originally scheduled in December, but postponed due to inclement weather, the RHEP reception and information session will take place in the Booth Center╒s Art Gallery from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. on January 25, during which time the college will celebrate the new program launch and share more about the bachelor’s degree in nursing (BSN) program.

Made possible through the generosity of Southwest Virginia Community College, who opened the doors to the Booth Center to Bluefield College, the reception and information session are open and free to prospective students, alumni, and community at-large.

With significant funding from the Virginia Tobacco Commission and regional foundations, Bluefield College created its Rural Healthcare Education Program a year ago with the purpose of creating additional higher education opportunities in healthcare for residents of southwest Virginia.

Designed to lead students to a bachelor’s degree in nursing, the Rural Healthcare initiative will be offered first in Grundy, Virginia, through the college’s inSPIRE Degree Completion Program, an accelerated higher education curriculum designed primarily for working adults.

“Local residents interested in enrolling or learning more about the BSN program are invited to attend the information session at the Booth Center,” said Ruth Wilson-Blankenship, a Grundy native and vice president for advancement at Bluefield College. “Area alumni and friends are also encouraged to attend to receive an update on the college and to learn how to get more involved with an area alumni chapter.”

The college currently offers baccalaureate degree opportunities in management, criminal justice, and behavioral science through its Degree Completion Program, but now, with the start of the Rural Healthcare agenda, BC will add the fourth degree program to its accelerated offerings — nursing. All four of the degree programs will be available to students in Grundy.

“This initiative is an opportunity to create a whole new accelerated degree completion program in nursing,” said Wilson-Blankenship, “and the bachelor’s degree in nursing is just part of our overall initiative to expand healthcare related programs in southwest Virginia — programs that are unique for the fact that they focus on rural and Appalachian culture.”

BC’s BSN program, Wilson-Blankenship noted, will address the shortage of registered nurses with four-year college degrees in southwest Virginia and create “a pathway for nursing for those who are place-bound by family and work commitments.” The program, she added, will offer current hospital employees in rural southwest Virginia the opportunity to advance their education and skills while continuing to maintain employment.

“Degree programs like this are critical to the nurses and healthcare workers in southwest Virginia to be able to expand and acquire new capabilities required for success,” Wilson-Blankenship said. “Our nursing program will be a flexible, accessible program, taught in an accelerated learning format in various communities across southwest Virginia, and I, personally, am excited about Grundy being chosen to serve as the inaugural location.”

For more information about Bluefield College’s Rural Healthcare Education Program and its degree completion major in nursing, visit the inSPIRE portion of BC’s web site, or contact Cathy Payne by email or by phone at 276-326-4233.

To RSVP for the Grundy reception and information session, contact Josh Cline by email or by phone at 276-326-4208 or Wilson-Blankenship by email or phone at 276-326-4556.

Bluefield University

[email protected]276.326.4212

Do I only apply once?

  • No. Students must apply each academic year for the fall semester and submit the necessary documents.

Do I have to take the classes specified in the Associate's Degree tracks as they are listed on the information sheet?

  • No. Students may take any of the courses that are offered in a given term.

Where do I find the textbook listing, and where do I purchase the books?

  • Log in to myBU, and under the "Student" tab, you will find a list of the textbooks required (if any) for each course. Students are responsible for purchasing their own textbooks.

How long is a semester?

  • Our semesters are divided into two 8-week terms.

Is there an orientation?

  • Yes. Students can attend an orientation session that explains how to access courses, how to register for classes, and answers other questions.

Where can I find a course description?

Does the student need to take the SAT or ACT in order to take Dual Enrollment classes?

  • No. If a student decides to study at BU full time, BU is currently test-optional for the 2021-2022 admissions cycle.

Are the classes live? Do students need to log in and participate at certain times?

  • Classes are offered online, so a student can log-on and study at their convenience and their own pace. Students have assignments due each week; you can complete your assignments at any point in time before the deadline.

Does an Early College student need to come to campus for anything?

  • No. However, we would love to have you visit our campus if you are interested in continuing with traditional on-campus study. Students who complete their associate's degree have the option to walk at our commencement ceremony.

Are Early College students able to receive Financial Aid?

  • No. However, Early College courses are very affordable compared to other options. The cost for an online Dual Enrollment course is $100 per credit hour.

How do transferring credits work?

  • Each College or University completes a transcript review in order to decide which courses transfer. Sticking to general education classes generally makes transferring credits simple. All Early College courses at Bluefield University are general education classes that should transfer to another accredited institution.

Is an Early College student considered, and treated, as a transfer student when they become a full-time college student if they have earned enough credits to be a Junior?

  • No. Since they have not graduated from high school, they are considered a first-time college student regardless of how many credits transfer. However, by transferring credits when they enroll as a full-time student, they will have to take fewer classes to receive their bachelor's degree, which shortens the length of time to earn the degree.

Can I speak to someone if I have more questions?

  • Yes. Please contact the Office of Admissions by email or you can call them at 276.326.4231


Meet our core Counseling faculty

Dr. Challen Mabry

Assistant Professor of Counseling

Dr. Kristen Moran

Associate Professor of Counseling

Brandy Smith

Assistant Professor of Education & Counseling,
Director of the Master of Arts in Counseling Program,
Title IX Confidential Counselor

Our team is here for you! How can we help?

This form requires credentials in order to request information.