Dr. Jessica Sharp, Dean of Bluefield’s School of Nursing calls the undergraduate nursing degree program a life changer. When you become a nurse, you can transform the lives of others and transform the healthcare system.
You won’t have to wait until you complete our four-year program to begin transforming the lives of others. Our accredited nursing major includes real-world experience in healthcare settings through practicums that reflect the academic work. Classes are held in state-of-the-art biology, chemistry, and practical nursing labs led by faculty who do everything they can to help you succeed academically, professionally, and spiritually. By the time you graduate, you’ll be ready to take and pass the NCLEX-RN certification exam.
A Christ-centered Nursing Degree
The undergraduate nursing degree program at Bluefield University reflects the school’s commitment to a Christ-centered, transformative educational approach. As a program, we place special emphasis on training nurses to work in underserved areas such as rural and economically disadvantaged communities. It is our passion to teach students to care for all those in need of healthcare as servant leaders.
If your heart calls you to serve others, our BSN nursing degree program is right for you. Take the first step by scheduling an on-campus visit to see all that our BSN program has to offer.
The Academic Catalog is the student’s guide to all policies and procedures for Bluefield University.
The Nursing Student Handbook is the student guide to assist you in achieving the successful completion of your program of study.
The baccalaureate degree program in nursing at Bluefield University is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, 655 K Street, NW, Suite 750, Washington, DC 20001, 202-887-6791.
Courses & Requirements
General Education (56 Credits)
General Education requirements may be fulfilled in more specific courses for certain majors
- Intro to the Writing Process
- Argumentative & Analytical Writing Literature (3 Credits)
- Biblical Perspectives
- Invitation to Inquiry
- Personal Wellness & Lab
- Character Formation
- US or World History (3 Credits)
- Intro to Psychology
- Fine Arts (3 Credits)
- College Algebra (3 Credits)
- Intro to Statistics (3 Credits)
- Chemistry (4 Credits)
- Fundamentals of Speech
- Additional Science
- Anatomy & Physiology I & II (8 Credits)
- Abnormal Psychology
Core Requirements (61 Credits)
- Introduction to Nursing Fundamentals
- Health Assessment *
- Concepts of Professional Nursing
- Health Tech & Informatics for Professionals
- Nursing Care of Older Adult *
- Nursing Care of Patient with Chronic Illness *
- Transcultural Nursing
- Women’s Health
- Nursing Care of Children & Families *
- Nursing Research & Theory
- Nursing Care of the Patient with Behavioral Health Issues *
- Nursing Leadership
- Nursing Care of Communities *
- Nursing Care of Patient with Acute Illness *
- Evidence-based Complex Nursing Practice *
- Professional Nursing Synthesis/Capstone
- Transitions to Professional Practice *
* Clinical hours required