Bluefield College is a member of CAPA International Education, which provides semester abroad study opportunities in London, UK; Dublin, Ireland; Florence, Italy; Sydney, Australia; Madrid, Spain, and Beijing, China. Students have the opportunity to take a variety of courses with faculty members of cooperating institutions, as well as from qualified professors from the host country.
Additionally, Bluefield College is aligned with the Consortium for Global Education (CGE). Through this program, students can study abroad in various areas of interest, with short and long-term opportunities, especially as they relate to the learning of the Arabic and Chinese languages. CGE currently offers study abroad experiences in Jordan, Australia, Lithuania, Lebanon, Greece, and Argentina. Our affiliation with the Council for Christian Colleges and Universities’ BestSemester (CCCU) program affords students semester study abroad experiences in India, Costa Rica, and Uganda.
Bluefield College also offers enrichment/learning opportunities through international course-related travel and cultural immersion. Such opportunities are coordinated with academic coursework completed at the main campus in Bluefield. The College is committed to global education and has established an exchange program with the Jiangsu Second Normal University in Nanjing, China, whereby Bluefield College faculty and students engage in cultural exchange with China in May. Every fall, Chinese students and faculty participate in the Bluefield College academic environment. Similar opportunities are available in Thailand at Mahidol University in Bangkok, as well as “glocal” activities in United States urban settings, such as Chicago.
For more information, please contact Dr. María Zalduondo at
or by using the form below. Go on, GET OUT THERE!
A student’s enrollment in a program of study abroad approved for credit by Bluefield College may be considered enrollment at Bluefield College for the purpose of applying for assistance under the title IV, HEA Program.
Undergraduate Study Abroad Policy
The Global Education Committee wishes to ensure that Bluefield College undergraduates study abroad at exciting international destinations to acquire global skills, engage in experiential learning, and partake in God’s creation. We wish to provide students and advisors with the following guidelines in order to ensure that the conditions are met for these travel and study opportunities.
As a policy, Bluefield College grants travel and study abroad priority to our China, Brazil, and London summer programs, as well as to our partner programs: CAPA, CGE, and BestSemester (CCCU). Please observe the following guidelines for study abroad success:
- Bluefield College supports one undergraduate per semester to travel with CAPA, BestSemester, and CGE. Please contact the Director of Global Education as soon as possible about your intention to apply.
- Travel and study abroad opportunities should be sought with these programs first, as we have formal partnerships with them. Following these guidelines will ensure that you will be considered.
- Scholarships are available in these programs and are competitive.
- Students are responsible to keep up with all deadlines for each program in order to facilitate selection to the program.
- Other programs may be pursued, but priority acceptance will be given to the student studying abroad with CAPA, CGE and BestSemester.
- Students, with documented advisor approval, who wish to pursue other programs should present all relevant information to the Chair of the Global Education Committee for consideration by the first Monday in October and March, at the latest. At this time, the student is responsible to make the GE committee aware of relevant deadlines. The GE committee Chair will then pursue approval by the President, Director of Financial Aid, and Registrar to enter into an agreement with the proposed study abroad institution.
- If the program is approved, the student and advisor will be notified by the Global Education Committee after the scheduled April or November meeting.
- Please direct your questions to the Chair of the Global Education Committee, Dr. Zalduondo in Lansdell 301C;