Report It

This guide is provided as a resource for Bluefield College faculty and staff for identifying students in difficulty and knowing where to refer students for help when they need it.

How to Help Students

Recognize the Problem

  • Marked decline in academic work
  • Increased absences
  • Talk of suicide (directly or indirectly)
  • Marked change in personal hygiene
  • Agitation, irritability, aggression
  • Excessive weight loss
  • Bizarre behavior, speech, writing
  • Alcohol or drug abuse
  • Depressed, stressed
  • Threatening behavior
  • Classroom disruption

What To Do

  • Talk to the student in private and communicate care for the student’s well-being.
  • Determine what campus resources might best help the student. (Academic referral, counseling, etc.)
  • Refer student to appropriate resource.

Crisis Situations

  • If a student exhibits behaviors that you feel indicate immediate danger to self or someone else:
    • Call Campus Safety at 304.887.1795.
    • Or call 911.

Student of Concern Response Guide

For general questions or consultation, please contact the Office of Student Development at 276.326.4206.

Academic Integrity

If you have reason to believe that a student has engaged in an academic violation, the Office of Academic Affairs (276.326.4203) can assist in walking students, faculty members, or witnesses through the College’s Honor Code process. Faculty must report all violations to the Office of Academic Affairs, as required by the Honor Code, even if no assistance is needed and the matter is handled solely between the faculty member and student.

Alcohol and Drugs

If you have reason to believe that a student may have abuse or dependence issues related to alcohol or other drugs, the Office of Student Development (276.326.4256) may be able to assist. Community resources are available and an appointment with the Director of Counseling and Student Activities are available by calling 276.326.4256.

Class Attendance

Faculty members should refer students who exhibit academic difficulties early in the semester. Students should be referred to the Academic Center for Excellence (276.326.4606) for any of the following reasons:

  • Excessive absences within the first four weeks of the semester (two or three absences).
  • Not attending class.
  • Failing (or missing) an exam.
  • Failing to turn in assignments.
  • No response to professor’s expressed concerns.
  • Displaying signs of needing counseling or advice.
  • Asking where to receive academic assistance.

Academic intervention early in the semester allows time and opportunity for students to reverse patterns of inadequate academic performance.

Classroom Conduct

If a student is being disruptive to either the educational pursuits of other students or to the teaching of the faculty member, faculty members may contact the Office of Academic Affairs at 276.326.4203 for assistance in addressing the student’s conduct.

Depression/Distress/Eating Disorders

If you believe a student may be experiencing depression or distress, or may be showing signs of an eating disorder, contact the Office of Student Development for resources available to help students.


If a student reports discrimination on the basis of race, color, nationality or ethnic origin, sex, age, or disability in employment or the provision of services to you, the student should be referred to the Office of Student Development (276.326.4207).


Hazing includes any intentional, knowing, or reckless act, occurring on or off the campus of Bluefield College, by one person alone or acting with others, directed against a student, that endangers the mental, physical health or safety of a student for the purpose of pledging, being initiated into, affiliating with, holding office in or maintaining membership in an organization. If you believe that a student has been hazed, the incident can be reported confidentially by contacting the office of Student Development at 276.326.4256.

Sexual Harassment/Assault

If you believe a student has been victim of sexual harassment or assault, please advise the student to contact either Bluefield College Campus Safety at 304.887.1795, the Office of Student Development at 276.326.4206, or the Title IX Compliance Officer for assistance in knowing what resources and options are available. In some situations, the College is required under Title IX of the Education Amendments.

Threatening Behavior

If you become aware of a situation where a student is voicing or demonstrating threatening behavior directed at others or himself or herself, contact Bluefield College Campus Safety at 304.887.1795.

Why Tell Someone?

It is possible the student may be demonstrating similar concerning behavior elsewhere in the Bluefield College community (residence halls, offices, etc.). Knowing the extent of the disruptive behavior can be helpful in determining the level of intervention the student may need.



Depending on the department where the student was referred, someone may or may not follow up with the reporting faculty/staff members. Generally, when a student is referred for counseling or medical help, records of students receiving or not receiving such help are not released without signed permission of the student. For assistance in following up about a student, please contact the Office of Student Development.


Even when there is no threat of harm, it is suggested you involved others when a conversation or interaction with a student causes concern. You may find it helpful to discuss this with your department head or supervisor. The Director of Counseling and Student Activities, as well as the Office of Student Development, are available for consultation.


It is possible to remain anonymous when reporting concerning behavior or other incidents; however, in some cases, an anonymous report may limit or prolong the process of finding a solution or helping the individual.


The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) allow school officials to share personally identifiable information from student education records (like grades or reports of misconduct) with other school officials who have a legitimate educational interest. In an emergency, FERPA permits school officials to disclose education records without student consent. This includes personally identifiable information from those records to protect the health or safety of students or other individuals. At such time, records and information may be released to appropriate parties, such as law enforcement officials, public health officials, and trained medical personnel.

Helpful Counseling Contacts

  • Absences from Class (Academic Center for Excellence) – 276.326.4606
  • Academic Integrity (Bluefield College Honor Code) – 276.326.4203
  • Disability Services (Academic Center for Excellence) – 276.326.4220
  • Emergency (Bluefield College Campus Safety) – 304.887.1795
  • On-Campus Housing (Residence Life) – 276.326.4473
  • Counseling/Career Counseling – 276.326.4256
  • Spiritual Life (Campus Ministries) – 276.326.4206
  • Student Conduct – 276.326.4207
  • Withdrawal (BC Central) – 276.326.4215