The American Association of Colleges of Nursing states there are nine Essentials of Baccalaureate Education for Profession Nursing Practice. The Bluefield College School of Nursing (BC SON) embraces all the essentials. “These Essentials are the curricular elements that provide the framework of baccalaureate nursing education” (AACN, 2008, p. 10). Each essential is integrated throughout our nursing curriculum.
The nine essentials are:
Liberal Education for Baccalaureate Educations for Professional Nursing Practice
Basic Organizational and Systems Leadership for Quality Care and Patient Safety
Scholarship for Evidenced-Based Practice
Information Management and Application for Patient Care Technology
Healthcare Policy, Finance, and Regulatory Environments
Interprofessional Communication and Collaboration for Improving Patient Health Outcomes
Clinical Prevention and Population Health
Professional and Professional Values
Baccalaureate Generalist Nursing Practice
2013 Student Handbook
Admission Requirements for the RN-BSN Nursing Program
- Submit online RN-BSN application, through inSPIRE.
- GPA of 2.5.
- Present evidence of having earned an Associate Degree in Nursing from a nationally accredited program.
- Have a current, unrestricted and unencumbered registered nurse license (RN).
- Students must complete Anatomy and Physiology I & II as a pre-requisite with a grade of C- or better before matriculation.
Apply Today - Let's get started!
RN to BSN Program Outcomes:
Upon completion of the program the graduate will be able to:
- Integrate evidenced-based knowledge from nursing, the performing and fine arts, humanities, including theology, mathematical sciences, life sciences, & social sciences in implementing the practice of holistic, caring professional nursing.
- Demonstrate skills in critical thinking, decision making & the nursing process with individuals, families, groups, communities, & populations.
- Demonstrate competence in implementing the nursing roles as designers of care, coordinators of care, & managers of care in a variety of health care settings.
- Empower individuals to function at their highest level of ability through caring, respect, mutual goal setting, advocacy, & education.
- Collaborate with interdisciplinary members regarding patient wellness, health promotion, illness, disease management, restoration & palliative & end-of life care across the life span at individual & population levels.
- Employ effective communication, technologies & information management skills (listening, verbal, nonverbal, technology, & written) to deliver safe, quality patient care working with diverse cultures.
- Demonstrate leadership skills in coordinating & delegating care using quality improvement delivery outcome measures.
- Incorporate professional values, roles, responsibilities, code of ethics & standards into professional nursing practice.
- Accept personal accountability & responsibilities, code of ethics & standards into professional nursing practice.
- Accept personal accountability & responsibility for pursuing practice excellence, lifelong learning & the advancement of the profession.
- Apply research findings to nursing practice, participating in both development of and utilization applying and exploring scientific evidence for the advancement and enhancement or healthcare populations.
- Access, use, and evaluate information effectively and appropriately applying technology in a variety of settings.
Students completing the online RN-BSN program will be able to:
- Communicate and express themselves in a professional manner.
- Adapt to the nature of audience online members.
- Avoid bias.
- Develop and demonstrate critical thinking skills: critique and use problem solving approaches, employing inductive and deductive approaches.
- Identify and resolve ethical challenges.
- Understand the experiences of disadvantage populations, in rural areas.