Masters in Education - Apply
Admission to the MAEd program will be competitive and limited to candidates capable of performing on the graduate level. View minimal requirements for applicants.
Three-Step Application Process
Complete the application for the Masters in Education by completing the 3 step application process below.
Step 1: Online Application
Begin the application process by filling out the application on MyBC.
Fill out the Application
Step 2: Self-Assessment, Part I
Fill out the self-assessment survey of professional temperament and performance.
Self-Assessment, Part I
Step 3: Self-Assessment, Part II
Prepare essay questions using the instructions specified in this document. Upload the final document in Word or PDF format using the upload button below.
Admission Requirements for the MAEd Program
Admission to the MAEd program will be competitive and limited to candidates capable of performing on the graduate level. Applicants must have the following:
- A bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher education.
- A grade point average of 2.75 or higher in all college work.
A valid professional teaching license.
- Official transcripts for all undergraduate and graduate courses (except for those taken at Bluefield College) must be provided.
- Students whose grade point average is between 2.5 and 2.75 may be considered if the student provides compelling evidence that he/she can be successful in a graduate-level program.
Test results from either the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) general test or the Miller Analogies with a score at or above the 50th percentile.*
- A copy of the professional license must be provided.
- Prospective students who do not have a valid teaching license, but who have the credentials for teaching in their chosen career, may be considered if the graduate coursework is mutually determined to be beneficial to their performance in that career.
- Prospective students who wish to take courses in the program to renew their teaching license should provide a copy of their expired license.
Two letters of recommendation, both from individuals who have observed the applicant in a classroom or professional setting or have knowledge of their work ethic, academic abilities, and teaching proficiency.
Pre-Self-Assessment of Professional Temperament and Performance completed.
A completed application for Admission.
- A copy of the scores must be provided.
- If a student's score is below the 50th percentile, the student may be admitted provisionally. He/She will be fully admitted, provided all requirements have been met after completing 9 hours of coursework with a 3.00 GPA.
*Individuals who have completed a master's degree from an accredited institution of higher education are exempt from taking/submitting GRE/MAT scores.