WE PREPARE TRANSFORMATIONAL LEADERS through a challenging academic experience within a climate of diverse Christian tradition.
TAKE THE NEXT STEP in becoming a student at Bluefield College. Learn about financial aid, the admissions process, Request more information, or apply today.
WHAT DO YOU WANT TO KNOW? Every major at Bluefield College is designed to equip you for a fulfilling life. Check out our 40+ programs of study.
STUDENTS ARE THE HEART OF OUR COMMUNITY. Learn everything you need to know about residence life and student services offered to students at Bluefield College.
YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE. Give to Bluefield College to support our students and facilities, and make it an even better place to learn.
GET THE BLUEFIELD COLLEGE STORY. Stay informed about what's happening on campus and the accomplishments of our students, faculty, and alumni.
JOB SUMMARY: Bluefield College is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Head Women's Lacrosse Coach.
JOB DESCRIPTION: Bluefield College is seeking candidates for the position of Head Lacrosse Coach to lead in the launch of a new program. This is a full-time, 10 month exempt position located in Bluefield, Virginia. Evaluation of applicants will begin immediately and the position is filled as soon as possible.
The primary purpose of the Head Women’s Lacrosse Coach will be the responsibility of developing and promoting a Women’s Lacrosse program that is in harmony with the Christian principles of Bluefield College. The coach will give direction to the athletes included with the Women’s Lacrosse program of Bluefield College, while fostering and maintaining fiscal responsibility.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES, RESPONSIBILITIES, AND FUNCTIONS
The Head Women’s Lacrosse Coach is directly responsible to the Athletic Director, and is responsible for the following areas:
• Lead a NAIA program in the sport of Women's Lacrosse, including, but is not limited to: recruitment of prospective student-athletes; student-athlete development; academic monitoring of student-athletes; supporting the mission of Bluefield College and the Department of Athletics; budget oversight; contest preparation and strategy; scheduling, alumni and public relations; fundraising; adherence to all Bluefield College, Appalachian Athletic Conference and NAIA policies and procedures; general administrative duties; and other duties as assigned by the Director of Athletics.
• Recruiting: Responsibility for developing a comprehensive plan to identify, evaluate and recruit high quality student-athletes to Bluefield College. This would include, but not be limited to, phone contacts, in-person evaluations, travel to home visits, coordinating student-athlete visits to campus, and maintaining communication with the Admissions and Financial Aid Offices throughout the recruitment process.
• Team Preparation: Responsibility for training, teaching and conditioning student-athletes in preparation for all intercollegiate contests. Plan and supervise practices, prepare game strategies and coaching the team during contests. Work closely with the Strength and Conditioning and Athletic Training staffs to develop and implement a comprehensive program of conditioning and injury prevention.
• Student-athlete Development: Responsibility for creating an atmosphere and culture that reflects the mission of both Bluefield College and the Department of Athletics. A positive student-athlete experience, both on and off the field is a priority of the coaching staff and administration. Tasks include, but are not limited to, monitoring academic performance, coordinating study hall sessions, and monitoring student-athlete class attendance. The Head Coach is responsible for the behavior and appearance of any student-athlete and manager under his/her direction while representing the institution.
• Administrative Responsibilities: Responsibility for a wide variety of administrative tasks including, but not limited to, scheduling of practices and games, budgeting, annual reports, recruiting logs, providing rosters, other paperwork to various offices for NAIA compliance issues, team travel plans, media guide development, and other administrative requirements or any other duties as assigned.
• AAC & NAIA Rules Compliance: Responsibility for knowledge of, and adherence to both AAC and NAIA rules and regulations pertaining to recruitment, eligibility, and the daily operation of the Women's Lacrosse program.
• Budget/Fundraising: Responsibility for administering the sport budget for Women’s Lacrosse as provided by the institution. Assisting with the purchasing and inventory of all equipment/uniforms, monitor travel expenses for the program, meeting guidelines associated with scholarship awards to stay within budgeted institution and NAIA allowable limits, and assisting with all fundraising activities to supplement the operating budget provided by the College. Responsible for reconciliation of expenditures for all team travel, recruiting expenses, and other Women's Lacrosse related expenses.
• Community Services: Participate in community relation activities both as an individual and with student-athletes. This could include, but not be limited to, clinics, speaking engagements and volunteer efforts with local organizations. The Head Coach will also be strongly encouraged to participate in campus activities to promote the Women's Lacrosse program and the Department of Athletics.
• Alumni Relations: Establish and maintain a good relationship with future Women's Lacrosse alumni. Coordinate or assist in various alumni activities such as alumni games and any College Alumni events held on-campus or held in conjunction with away athletic contests.
• Promote a Women’s Lacrosse program that is in harmony with and supportive of the institutional mission and philosophy of Bluefield College.
• Works with the athletic trainers and medical health services to insure the safety and well-being of the student athletes
• Work with athletic training and medical health services.
SUPERVISORY DUTIES, RESPONSIBILITIES, AND FUNCTIONS
This position directly supervises any assistant, volunteers and student workers who are assigned to the Women’s Lacrosse program, and carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the College’s policies and applicable laws. Supervisory duties, responsibilities, and functions include interviewing, hiring, training and mentoring employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints; and resolving problems.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
The individual must possess the knowledge, skills and ability to demonstrate, explain and perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some combination of the following skills and abilities:
• Minimum Bachelor’s degree in Exercise and Health Science or related field
• Master’s degree preferred
• College playing experience
• Minimum Level 1 License
• College coaching experience preferred
• Knowledge of NAIA rules preferred
• Knowledge of Appalachian Athletic Conference preferred
• Must be able to support the Mission Statement, purpose and goals of the College and express a personal Christian commitment.
• Possess sufficient manual dexterity to be able to operate all equipment including, but not limited to: lacrosse equipment, field equipment, copy machines, computers, and telephones.
• Physical Demands
The Head Women’s Lacrosse Coach is a physically demanding job. The functions performed: sitting, standing and running. The position of the Head Women’s Lacrosse Coach should be in sufficient physical condition to perform administrative and coaching duties. Driving vehicles and transportation of athletes are duties that are required at various times. Tasks such as working at a computer which involves extensive wrist and hand movements are also required. All individuals are required to be able to perform these movements without significant risk or injury to themselves or others, or otherwise demonstrate or explain how they can perform these essential functions listed above or listed in a particular position description.
The Head Women’s Lacrosse Coach performance will be based on the ability to meet departmental and divisional objectives. Performance will also be based on the ability to advance institutional objectives.
The criteria for evaluation in this position include, but are not limited to the following:
1. Ability to develop student-athletes to their fullest potential.
2. Ability to fulfill job description requirements as listed above in a timely and effective manner.
3. Ability to perform administrative functions such as supervision, budget preparation and management.
This position is subject to at least an annual evaluation based upon the job duties, responsibilities, and functions as set forth above.
The job duties, responsibilities, functions, and requirements delineated above should not be interpreted as an all-inclusive list of same. Additional duties, responsibilities, functions, and requirements may be assigned as deemed appropriate. The College reserves the right to change or reassign job duties, responsibilities, and functions, or combine positions at any time. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, it is possible that requirements may be modified to reasonably accommodate disabled individuals. However, no accommodations will be made which may pose serious health or safety risks to the employee or others or which impose undue hardships on the College. Position descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The College maintains its status as an at-will employer.
To apply for this position, please visit http://www.bluefield.edu/employment/ to complete the electronic staff employment application and upload the following:
• Letter of interest
• Resume or Curriculum Vitae
• Names and full contact information for at least three professional references
• Statement of Christian Faith
Hard copy application materials may be sent to Judy Pedneau, Director of Human Resources at Bluefield College, 3000 College Avenue, Bluefield, VA 24605, email@example.com.
Additional information about Bluefield College is available at www.bluefield.edu.
To be considered for this position, all application requirements listed above must be completed.
This institution is an equal opportunity provider and does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, color, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, military service or genetic information in its employment.
Apply NowBack to Job Board