Residence Life FAQ

Here are some common questions from students preparing to move on campus.

How and when do I find out who I will be rooming with?

New Students will find out room and roommate information by attending a RAM day event in May, June, or July. If you are unable to attend a RAM day, students are able to access this information by logging into MyBC.

What can I use to hang posters and pictures on the walls?

3M tape and hooks work well or reusable sticky tack is an option.

How do I get my room key?

On move in day, all new students must check-in on the Quad between Shott Hall and the Science Center before checking into your residence hall. You will be directed to your residence hall from the Quad, where a Residence Life staff member will assist you with your room check-in.

What does my room include?

Each residence hall room has one bed, one desk, one chair, one dresser, and either closets or wardrobes for each occupant in the room. We also provide micro fridge units for every residence hall room on campus.

Can I bring any extra furniture?

Students must keep college furniture provided in the student rooms. Students may bring additional furniture, but please keep in mind your limited space. Students must also keep the entry to the room clear due to fire safety compliance. See more on what to bring.

What size are the mattresses?

Most mattresses are extra long twin.

Can I move in early?

Due to staffing constraints, Residence Life cannot accommodate early arrivals.

Can I paint my room?

We encourage you to individualize your room, but you should do so without painting.

Do I have to sign up for a meal plan?

A meal plan is required for most residential students, so you do not need to sign up.

How do I change rooms?

Requests to transfer rooms should go through the Resident Assistant and Resident Hall Director of your floor/building during the first two weeks of school. After that time, changes will only take place after administrative approval. Students wishing to change rooms and/or roommates will have to fill out a Room Change Request form and pay a $50.00 processing fee.

What do I do if I lose my ID card?

If your ID card is lost or stolen, report it immediately to the Office of Student Development. They will issue you a new card. Card replacement is $20.00.

Where do I take my room trash?

There are dumpsters near each residence hall. Students are expected to take their trash out, and not leave trash in their rooms or in the residence hall hallways. Students not properly disposing of their trash will be fined!