Rams win double OT thriller 2-1 over Union College
Rams get first conference win of the 2011 season.

Rams win double OT thriller 2-1 over Union College

By Sports Information Department BC | October 2, 2011 | RSS

Bluefield College Athletics

Sports Information Department

Bluefield, Virginia


A cold and rainy afternoon set the stage for the men's soccer team on Saturday, as the Rams defeated Union College 2-1 in double-overtime with :20 seconds remaining.


In the opening half, the Rams were very close to quickly gaining an early lead when F Pedro Frazillio sneaked past a defender and flicked the ball towards the far bar only to be denied by the post.

For much of the half, Bluefield dominated possession and had numerous opportunities on frame, but couldn't sneak a goal in.


The Bulldogs were first to strike though when the Rams defense slipped and over-stepped on Union's Chris Riley. As Rams GK came off his line, Riley lifted the ball over the diving Watson to score in the 23rd minute off an assist from Miller giving UC a 1-0 lead. The goal was the second of the season for Riley.


Coming into the second half down a goal, the Rams picked up the intensity and its play on both ends of the field. Defensively, the Rams didn't allow a single shot on goal for the Buildogs, even though UC had numerous dead-ball opportunities inside Bluefield's half. 


Just nine minutes into the second half, the Rams were awarded a corner kick. After the clearance, the Rams reset when Dan Turpin played a nice ball through to D James Gunn making a run through the middle. With a defender on his side, Gunn brushed him off with ease and blasted the 54th-minute equalizer to knot it up at one apiece.


The remainder of the regulation saw Bluefield attack on offense numerous times. Two great chances included Mader's 1v1 opportunity be denied in the penalty area when he slipped on the wet pitch and the other chance coming from Frazillio's 20-yard shot missing just wide.


Unfortunately, the Rams failed to put the ball in net to take the lead, and the match headed to overtime. 


In the first overtime, Bluefield had two shots on goal stopped by UC goalie Metcalf while Cozens  took the lone shot of the frame for the Bulldogs, which went wide.


In the second overtime, BC keeper Jefferson Watson only needed to make one save to keep the Rams in the match. With under a minute to play in the second overtime period, MF Aaron Georgiadas won the ball in the corner of Union's half. His effort into the box forced two defenders to crash and he slipped the ball through to slashing Jacob Mader.


Mader's finish into the far netting resulted in the game-winning goal as the Rams' players celebrated its 1st AAC win of the season, moving to 1-2 in the conference and 5-5-1 overall. Mader's goal was his eigth on the season. Georgiadas' gw-assist extends his point total to eight.


The win marks the first-ever conference win in the Dryer coaching era, with the program's last conference win coming since October 19, 2009.


"We had a gutsy performance today", exclaimed head coach Peter Dryer.


"Every player gave it their all. We definitely had a team performance today. We asked for 'game-changing' plays and we had several of them. I credit our entire team for not giving in and staying focused for 110 minutes of soccer."


Bluefield will return to action again at East River on Wednesday as they end their three-game homestand as they face another AAC opponent, Virginia Intermont. The match is set for 7pm.